passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New TV

retroed

I've spent a while getting the settings where I want them across SDR / HDR content, and it's a very nice set isn't it? Looking forward to taking full advantage of the Series X and PS5 now. I took the opportunity to adjust the height of the TV on the way as well so it's sitting a little lower now. I'll get a new pic up in the gaming setups thread at some point. I need a Wii2HDMI adapter though so I can hook up the Wii. Speaking of which, I didn't realise the remote was a Wii controller, and that it can control the consoles. 

I sold a load of old games to entirely fund this set (currently on offer at £1299). I figured selling a load of games I'm unlikely to play again would be better off putting towards something I use daily. I'm not regretting it, yet.

Woo congrats @retroed welcome to the C2 club!

I probably should've mentioned this when Maf got his, but there's a thread on Era that has optimal settings for the TV on the various different sources you'll encounter (SX, PS5, DV, SDR, HDR etc.). It's what I used for mine, I'm no good at that kind of stuff so just went exactly but what they've got on there in terms of settings.

LG-OLEDs-2019-2022-Overall-Settings-Chart-P40-L0-v11.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Trying to watch some apple tv on a lower end TV currently, I didn't know that LG turn on HDR and don't let you disable it for their webOS applications. The movie is Evil Dead Rise, and the TV is not capable of doing good HDR so it just makes the whole picture dim which is not great for a film with lots of dark scenes. It's nuts that it's like that, that they mandate HDR on TVs not capable of preserving detail or showing highlights, and just getting a worse image. 

Pretty poor stuff by LG. I'm not always looking to watch stuff on an OLED.

• 4 weeks later...

After around a year and a half of owning the thing I've just realised my tv has a HGiG setting...🤦‍♂️

Turned it on and calibrated the HDR settings on PS5 and Series X again and tried Spider-Man 2 on PS5 and Dead Space on Xbox... I'm convinced it looks better, maybe it's a placebo effect going on but I'm happy.

I turned HGIG on for Alan Wake II cause the hdr optimisation UI in game said to do it, it's quite a bit darker I find (LGCX, different TV to the one mentioned in the above post which was a cheap LCD).

I don't really understand HDR. I like how the dolby vision thing apparently just takes care of it automatically, or something

I think it basically stops the tv trying to override what information the console is trying to provide... which can result in tone mapping happening twice, or so I've read. You'd need to configure the HDR all over again once it's switched on too.

Like I said it could just all be in my head in anycase... it certainly doest look any worse though.

On the flip side - can anyone recommend a basic simple to use TV (32") as my mum's 12 yr old CRT TV has just packed up ?

Just need something really basic, with a big button remote, as she only watches live TV via Freeview - so loads of menus & features will just confuse the heck out of her

*Update*

So the extended warranty insurance that she has been paying, £8/mth for about 12 yrs (told her years ago to cancel it and just save £8/mth herself) has 'generously' offered to give her a brand new replacement TV......... can't wait to see what they give her (but guessing some low end budget set - but it'll probably suit her needs).

On 29/10/2023 at 17:50, Nag said:

I think it basically stops the tv trying to override what information the console is trying to provide... which can result in tone mapping happening twice, or so I've read. You'd need to configure the HDR all over again once it's switched on too.

Like I said it could just all be in my head in anycase... it certainly doest look any worse though.

mine has it, in fact it just defaults to gaming mode and turns on VRR etc when I turn the PS5 on, which is why I didn't realise it was changing from the standard HDR

• 5 months later...

Turns out I struggle with TV stutter because I’m a professional tennis player in waiting.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/gamers-may-able-see-more-134924581.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAALYeYPZadC4EbOmMsmBcNq9vTPpnXBeSn0k4BeWGDwPHh6oqpjYfFuj8VI1n3wVR7sHlZboOf8x5cNfSUJ19HpqLbeYKzJhE_I7JPNbbJSk-yTfRjvlB44B0fnY0pu40uY2CUww3O0659PF5B_aieW2Gsdhqgdvz0qnkQQFB9_eK#.

Listening to a podcast and they brought this up. Basically carried out some tests and some people can absolutely ‘see faster’. Pro sports players usually have it. Used an example of a flickering light flashing 30 times a second or 60 times a second. Some can’t see the flash at 30 while others can see at 60 and above. Which is a good way of describing it. Imagine being able to see a light flickering constantly 30x a second. That’s almost as annoying as it is to see the screen stutter to me. 

A moving casualty, genuinely don’t know how it happened. Moved it from the lounge to the kitchen so it was out the way. Nipped to B&Q, came back and it had a crack in it.

Claimed it on the house insurance, which luckily ran out 2 days after it happened. Given me the full purchase amount back (well it’s processing but shortly will have it in my account hopefully) -£250 excess.

Still paying the fucker off on finance too so first thing I will do is pay that off once the money filters through. Ordered a replacement today, hopefully that’ll be here at some point this week.

IMG_6818.jpeg

IMG_6820.jpeg