passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New TV

retroed

I'm gonna have to mess with some settings as it's too bright at the moment but it seems like there's a lot to fiddle with (fnar).

The 360 looks brilliant as does my PC which I'm using now! I may well have to get a wireless mouse and keyboard and then I can ditch my little PC hovel desk.

The problem is the Wii.

Now I've not turned into one of those antagonistic anti-Wii retards, I swear that the Wii with the official scart cable (which I'm using) through my mate's super bastard big plasma telly looks great. Mine, however, does not.

For a start, there's big thick black borders either side of the screen (several inches thick) even though I've experimented with standard and widescreen settings on the Wii and nowt makes a difference. For some reason I can't set my Wii to 480p - I'm guessing I need to change a setting on my TV.

Most of all, the resolution is that bad that I have Super Paper Mario in the disc channel and I only know it's called that because I do. Anyone who knows fuck all about games would not have a clue what the logo says because it's so damn blurry!

I'd imagine component cables would fix this but that would screw my VC stuff up and I don't fancy changing cables all the time, but I guess if I have to, I'll have to.

Any help?:kiss:

EDIT

Oh, and although it's "only" 32" I wasn't expecting it to be so huge! I'm so used to such a small CRT that this is like some future Tron shit.

Good to see that you're enjoying it Hendo. I thought that 32" wasn't big enough, but in my room it's mahoosive & so lovely. *kisses tv* :kiss: :blush: I went with the Wii component cable which does a decent enough job.

I'll try my RGB Scart tonight after I get home from work, I would have a look now, but am about to leave! I seem to remember the display looking ok though, no borders anyway. I'll have a fiddle later though and note down the settings I am using. :)

Right, I've just plugged my RGB Scart into the TV with the Wii. You cannot change the Wii settings to 480p, that is only supported by component. Also, when using the RGB Scart on this TV using the 60Hz (480i) setting, the picture is very off-centre, it's a fair way to the left with a black border on the right. This can be fixed somewhat by altering the screen position in the Wii settings, but it still doesn't go far enough.

I can get the picture totally central with no black borders by selecting the 50Hz (576i) option, however.

It looks like you're going to need a component cable to get the best picture really, Hendo.

Bugger, I thought I might. Oh well, I can always have both set into the TV and replace at the back of the Wii depending on what I'm doing.

I can't actually bring myself to hook up my PC back to my 15" monitor so this is what your favourite site looks like on a 32" beast.

(Wiimote for size comparing)

DSC00095.JPG

post-62-1195082135.jpg

The Wii looks very nice indeed in 480p component, although it's not really very different to the RGB Scart that I was using on our old Toshiba flat CRT. Not that I can remember anyway. Saying that, the screen is nine inches larger, so any bad bits would stand out more I guess. RGB Scart on my CRT was very smooth, whereas component on the LCD is very sharp, and you can get the odd jaggy if it isn't set up spot on. I've only really played Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii since we got our new TV, and it looks superb.

Hendo wrote:

Oh, and although it's "only" 32" I wasn't expecting it to be so huge! I'm so used to such a small CRT that this is like some future Tron shit.

:lol:

I bet your lovin this big TV goodness then eh? Makes you wanna try all your old games on the new beast donit?

TopGunKnacker wrote:

did you say you can reduce the appearance 480p Wii jaggies with this tv, ed? is it a feature that reduces jaggies whilst retaining detail? i wonder whether mine will have something similar

I just played with the setting and made it slightly smoother. SMG looks fantastic, I'm more than happy with the picture now. :)

You must know the Vizio, Ed! It's advertised a lot on the 1up Show. "I'm in love with a Vizio!" etc.

I got massive problems with my Wii and HD TV, mainly by the fact that the Wii looks (hold back the flaming torches now) absolute shit.

This is with a Nintendo-made official SCART cable and it's too blurry and the jagged edges in Galaxy have actually put me off playing it for a few days.

My component cable came today so I've set it up and the only noticable difference is that it now automatically sets itself to widescreen, whereas with the SCART I'd have to change it manually every time I turn the Wii on.

Yes, it's set to 480p on the Wii, and yes, the TV is also set to 480p.

I honestly dread to set up my Dreamcast and PS2 as fuck knows how they'll look.

Would you be able to make a note of your settings, Ed? I've tried messing about with a few settings but nothing makes much difference.

This is the downside of going HD. I've heard quite a lot over the past year or so that it's worth having an old TV set up if you play non-HD consoles, and it has been a leap from a nice clear crisp look on my old TV to a bit of a mess on the HD.

Hendo is a mighty sad panda.

Im leaving my wii on my old, but bigger telly for the time being, in a similar way that youve just said, it puts me off playing it. Having said that Wii sports looked a lot better on my parents flashy telly.

to be honest im not a crazy visuals junkie, and like you im used to having played games on a tiny telly in college or wherever so its an improvement whichever way you look at it.

I'm no visuals junkie either, but the way the jagged edges flicker when you move and then stop is a bit of a headache. It's most likely that this large beast is in my bedroom and so I'm closer to it than you probably should be.

It doesn't make sense though as when it goes through my mate's even bigger plasma (and more expensive too) it looks absolutely fine. :(

Well I'll probablt be getting the following TV for Christmas:

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronic...ws.html?cpage=2

The price is very good, and because it's quite a bit smaller than Hendo's hopefully the jaggies won't be a problem, and the lack of HDMI really isn't a big deal on a TV that size.

I'm wondering weather it's wort it to go component with the Wii though? Of course it should look a bit better, but having to change to RGB to play VC games should be a pain.

Hmm, decisions, decisions.:unsure:

component should make it look noticably sharper, but that means jaggy city because no-ones managed (bothered, rather.. though i think it would be a big drain on resources to be fair) to coax Anti-Aliasing out of the Wii's GPU. AA smooths out jaggies, I think its actually a requirement for all 360 games to have AA. given the choice id take the jaggies personally, not really too bothered either way to be completely honest but i will be getting an lcd tv soon so jaggy it is

Hendo, these are my current settings for the Wii via component. Let me know if they improve your picture!

Contrast - 70

Brightness - 40

Colour - 45

Tint - 50

Sharpness - 60

Fresh Tone - 40

Colour Temp - Cool

I reckon I sit around 10 feet away from the screen on my sofa when I'm playing the Wii. I use the pouffe when I'm playing racing games on the 360, sat right in front of the screen. B)

Cheers Ed, I shall have a play around with those settings shortly. :)

As an update, I got a mate to come round yesterday as my second opinion, as he thought maybe I was just being picky.

"Christ, that is bad."

He suggests I take the TV back if I'm not happy with it, but it's only the Wii that causes the problem. I'm gonna hook up the PS2 (via SCART) and see what that looks like.