passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New TV

retroed

4 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Shit, Horizon with DLC was on sale recently ?

God of War, I really liked it but not sure I can play it again ?

I mean jump in n have a look around for a quick demo, you silly sausage. The gateway area in God of War is particularly effing gorgeous ?

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Is there anywhere where you can buy and download 4k movies?

Streaming 4k isn't an option where I am right now and the PS4 doesn't play uhd ?

But I'd be fine buying and downloading stuff like Dunkirk to show the folks

I think Play store movies (google play not the old amazon-a-like) does 4k I think, you'll be paying a premium though

https://play.google.com/store/movies/collection/movies_clusters_custom_top_uhd_movies?clp=mgYtCisKJW1vdmllc19jbHVzdGVyc19jdXN0b21fdG9wX3VoZF9tb3ZpZXMQPxgE%3AS%3AANO1ljKcdOk&gsr=CjCaBi0KKwolbW92aWVzX2NsdXN0ZXJzX2N1c3RvbV90b3BfdWhkX21vdmllcxA_GAQ%3D%3AS%3AANO1ljL9gaY&hl=en

@one-armed dwarf I assumed you could download but I've just checked on mine and I can't. You can on mobile, but I'm guessing they wont let you download 4k if your device isn't 4k, then you'd have to cast it to your tv  (the app is called Google Play Movies & TV)

Maybe just sit and wait for a youtube 4k video to buffer, or see if you can download something from a dodgy site and run that off a memory stick or something?

I'd love to get myself a new TV, hard to convince the wife that we actually need a new tv when the one we have works "fine"

Samsung are making some pretty great TVs at the £400 mark, I was pleasantly surprised that the £360 tv had black frame insertion, not sure that the sales guy in john lewis was happy with me dicking about in the settings though. I didn't really care though, I really want to make sure I'm going to get the right TV for my dollars

5 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Is there anywhere where you can buy and download 4k movies?

Streaming 4k isn't an option where I am right now and the PS4 doesn't play uhd ?

But I'd be fine buying and downloading stuff like Dunkirk to show the folks

My TV has Rakuten TV which plays 4K movies. Not sure if Samsung TV’s have this though.

1 hour ago, Nag said:

Fuck em, if they want the sale they'll put up or shut up.

I said a much politer version of this, despite wearing a samsung shirt, the guy didn't seem to know much. He wanted me to make sure I put things back to how I found them.  

has anyone on here got a tv with black frame insertion? The rolling demo didn't really seem to benefit from it, but I'm told that it makes gaming look much nicer if you can deal with the flicker (which seemed fine in the shop)

I got my TV set up. My first impression is I'll have to admit disappointment at HDR, or at least this TV's implementation of it. I'm not getting the eye popping experience I'd expected. But this is likely due to the tier of TV from what I'm reading. Some don't offer "proper" HDR and OLED screens seems to be where the party is.

I couldnt tell a difference in Alfheim in GoW. I notice that turning it on during SOTC that the visuals become even more muted than usual which is a surprise but I guess there's lots of dull colours on that higher dynamic range as well.

But you know, this is still the best TV I've ever owned and a substantial upgrade from a PC monitor with no sound. It'll do for stabbing Cyclops and wrangling varmints ?

That's not condescending, this is all new to me

I've done that I think. One thing tho is while playing GoW is the bar on the screen just said UHD. Later on with SOTC and when I had a new HDMI it was saying UHD and HDR, so possibly the signal wasn't been read properly and the cable was shit.

I'll try GoW again later but SOTC and XV weren't amazing to me.

I'm watching a 1080p Blu-ray of Creed right now and the contrast makes it so much better looking.

So I checked GoW again and the HDR icon wasn't on again, I guess I've not seen it in HDR then ?

I don't know how to get it working. Maybe I update the TV or something. But I'm not interested in GoW right now when I can be playing a butt ugly game like Dragons Dogma instead

The only ones I've seen are SOTC and XV. SOTC is just very muted. XV I didn't spend enough time with. Maybe I'll try that DLC finally.

I also tried Red Dead and it reminded me of the effect of putting on 3d glasses and how it dims films.

At this rate I'll say I'm fine if HDR had input lag, I don't know if I will be using it when DMC5 comes around ?⚔️???

Ok, turns out the HDR setting for GoW is very hidden in a place called screen calibration. I turned it on and I can see it now. The HDR brings out details that are obscured while it's off and light sources have a luminescence that they didn't have before. It's better contrast, details are separated out better. Particles sort of "burn" when you kill enemies.

That said I'm not finding it mind-blowing either. A feeling I think which is a combination of already playing this game once over and seeing all the graphics in 1080 where they are still very impressive and also cause this is a mid-range TV offering a basic HDR implementation.

But it is nice to know it is there and the effect works cause I had written my TV's HDR off entirely until I found the setting.

Whenever Destiny hasn't triggered my TV into HDR (only happened once or twice) I notice immediately. Everything's muted and colours have less 'pop'. 

It's real nice seeing the small subtle shades of contrast. Not just black is black. 

Beautiful in my eyes. 

But anyway nice to see you getting to grips with your new TV. What you looking forward to playing on it most? DMCV?

DMCV, but you know something has been pushing me away from that lately. There's something about the style of the visuals that look a bit... grotty? ?

It's that REVII engine maybe

I'm looking forward to Sekiro as well. I actually don't know what comes out next year after March, it's pretty much just RE2, DMC and Sekiro I have on my calendar.

• 1 month later...