passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New TV

retroed

Not a new TV, but something new for my TV.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F1G9IE2/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

I was thinking about getting a sound bar for a little while now, but space and small child is an issue, so a soundboard seemed more practical. The sound on the TV is OK, but not great and I'd seen this on Amazon for £74 just after Christmas. I'd added it to my basket but put off ordering until the morning, by which time it had sold out and was only only available for £200. It's just come back into stock back into stock at £74 so it's now on its way to me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi. I posted this over on GTM but I figure it'd get more eyes here

I just got a surprise 500 euro "get well soon" gift from a relative who also had a spinal fusion recently (I mentioned on here I think I just had spinal surgery this week). I'm thinking I'm so laid up now that I might just buy myself a nice TV, 4k HDR. But I'd prefer something that isn't too high end

I wonder if I can field some recommendations here? 500 euro isn't necessarily the maximum budget but I'm not intending on getting something monstrous.

It's just that I dont know a lot about TVs.

I am thinking 50 inch would be a perfect size. I've never had a TV that big anyway so I'm not size queen.

I don't think DMC would be hurt too much by a little lag, unless you're telling me that 4K TVs are way more laggy than older ones.

Like the older games were made on PS2 foe CRT response times and I just platinumed dmc3 on PS4 with a wireless controller ?

I'll be fine I think ?

Thanks for that link OneTwo. Have to say though that some of the prices there are eye watering.

I just saw this when Nag mentioned Samsung

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/samsung-ue55nu7400-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10181442-pdt.html

Seems affordable and I could probably even get a smaller model, I've never had a TV greater than 42 inches and I've never been one to want the highest end devices. Any reason to not get something like this?

Don't need the best HDR really, anything which is a nice upgrade from where I am currently will do fine.

Every TV is different in regards to input lag. It's not usually a concerning factor because majority of people buying TV's aren't gaming. But as gamers it uniquely affects us. 

It's a definite concern and shouldn't be ignored. Especially when it comes to HDR. Some TV's with that enabled send it into silly numbers. 

I've got the same TV as Nag and he's a lucky bugger for getting such a good TV for gaming. He plays it in movie mode if I remember right and I tried that. It felt like I was drunk such was the delay. There's a 'game mode' for a reason on these TV's. 

It's not game breaking but to me it's just obvious the less delay from your input to screen is better.

Each to their own, but ignore it at your peril. 

It's weird cause I've never felt it as an issue, yet my favourite game series is one of those ones which lag could kill you I suppose.

Does HDR introduce bad lag into games? Do these different modes mitigate it enough?

The models you guys have, are they still on the market or is there an equivalent updated one?

Nag isn't wrong I do probably play more games that require that crisp input. 

HDR does increase lag yes. The more a TV is throwing around the longer it takes to represent that image, if you imagine. Some technology is better than others so some models and manufacturers are better than others

Some get really anal about it. You got PC gamers buying monitors with lag down into single digits. I'm not suggesting we get like that.

My old HDTV of yesteryear had 16ms input lag. My mate had one in single digits. Our current TV, a 7 series Samsung from 2016 I think, has 24ms in HDR game mode. Very respectable. Would I notice 16-21? No. Would I notice 24-100+? Yup. 

So where nag is right in that it's not the be all end all, i don't agree not doing research or it being a frontal factor  in your purchase. You need to research and make an informed decision. Not just blindly buy a TV if it's to be used for gaming. 

Yeah I think it’s definitely worth finding out what the input lag is at least, I’ve read around 30ms is fine for gaming. A highly recommended tv for gaming recently, a Sony from maybe 1 or 2 years ago had 34ms. The way I look at it is I don’t really know how much I’m affected by it, but I can’t really afford to find out - I can’t buy a tv for ~£500 then find out games are unplayable. My current tv is 20ms.

I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert because I'm absolutely not, but I can vouch for LG. Mine doesn't do full HDR (8bit instead of 10bit). I can't say I've noticed a huge amount of lag, I've got it on game mode, but I use it as a 2nd monitor if I want to play with a controller, I suspect switching from the monitor to the tv I'd notice the lag if it was bad (google says 6ms which seems low)

The main reason I'm recommending it though is the apps. It's not the full Play store, and they've blocked installs from external sources, so no dodgy streaming (except through the web browser), but what it has is pretty full and good. It has Amazon, Netflix, youtube and iplayer all in 4k, the former supports HDR too. Based on friends who've bought new tvs, not all of them will have Amazon or support 4k 

I bought this

SAMSUNG - UE50NU7470 50" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED

It's not OLED and it's not got the latest bleeding edge specs but for my requirements it will suit. I did check the input latency and I think it said around 15ms or something like that. Presumably a bit more with HDR enabled.

But if input lag becomes a problem during like the inevitable Vergil fight in DMC5 on Dante Must Die or something like that I'm sure I can just turn HDR off or whatever

Thanks for all the help guys ?, I'm really excited for this. I need a nice distraction in my life while my quality of life isn't so great right now.

Way I see it this is me spending my 2019 tax rebate early.

I'm trying to find it on YouTube but I can't. They were running GT Sport on it at 8k at 120FPS  or something crazy. Lots of people think it could be PS5 running it, but I don't think we're going to see the next lot of consoles push 8k. Them TV's cost so much brass, it's not like when HD happened and you could get a set for a grand, that one they demoed was over 100k. Nobody here can afford that, it'd take us 3 or 4 years working just to save up for something like that if we stopped spending now.

Loosely related. There was a TV channel just launched in Japan that broadcasts everything in 8k, the first thing they showed was 2001 as it was a film they felt should be showed in 8k and also had the 70mm film to give that quality of resolution or something like that. It's pretty mad when you think about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46403539