passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New TV

retroed

That's more to do with the picture being displayed on a stupid big size rather than it being in 1080p on a 4k set. If you don't get a hypersize tv then you're not going to notice any image degradation. You will notice an improvement in fidelity if you input a 4k source though, such as a PC game that supported that resolution.

Me either, there'll come a point where we make that jump and 1080p will look like 480p, but I can't see that being for a long time mainly because it costs an absolute fortune to make sets that look nice in 1080p. I mean sports and stuff that isn't scripted and directed is a shoe in, but anything that is designed to be looked at production costs would go through the roof, that includes videogames. Like you say, refresh rate along with better contrast and viewing angles are more important now. It's the better pay off for the inputs we have now.

There's nothing really to drive sales of 4k as it stands now. I think the 360 and PS3 drove HDTV sales into a lot quicker uptake than they would have been if it wasn't for gaming hobbyists buying into it there probably wouldn't have been the surge there was. I can't see those events repeating anytime soon. I'm surprised at the update of the current consoles as it is, it's not like there's a lot of money in peoples pockets to be throwing on luxuries like them.

EDIT: I agree with Nag as well, viewing distance has a lot to do with it, since most houses in the UK aren't very big most people that buy these 4k sets won't be sat directly on top of the bastards like most of us plebs in normal sized houses.

I don't think that 4k is something really to worry about for now.

You can prove this to yourself by watching a really badly compressed tv channel.

You look at it and go "oh, man, that looks like it's playing off a VHS", then 5 minutes later, your brain just kinda ignores it. The same is true moving up to a true 1080p signal, it looks crisp and sharp for about a minute, then it just looks normal.

I'd pick a tv with a low input lag over a tv that goes up to 4k

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl42w705b-201402233639.htm

The advice I normally give is to go to www.hdtvtest.co.uk search by what is to you, the most important criteria (like I mentioned in an earlier post, I'd pick the tv with the lowest input lag)

You can also sort by type and or size if you're after something a little more specific.

• 1 year later...

Nice one @mr lakitu, my parents recently got one of these: LG 49" 4K SUHD Dolby Vision TV for their new conservatory.

9v3n7fCh.jpg

I did the research for them and seriously considered Hisense as they are incredible value for money (and they sponsored Euro 2016 which meant I thought they were a brand known enough in Europe to recommend to my parents) but ultimately the lack of HDR/Dolby Vision (vague promises of it being available in a future firmware update), worries about the 'Smart' features and my parents being a bit snobby because they didn't know the Hisense brand very well ultimately led me to the LG that I picked out for them, it came with a free sound bar too (worth £150) 

94Qlijfh.jpg

so that was definitely a sweetener to the deal.

Didn't want them to have to buy another TV in a few years time if/when HDR/Dolby Vision becomes prevalent.

They're very pleased with the decision, watching 4K, HDR and Dolby Vision content with them through Netflix/Amazon Video is just incredible, watching Stranger Things with them and the images look absolutely insane, like real life, colour pops amazingly too.

The 'Magic Remote' is awesome too, it works like a Wii Remote in that you point it at the screen and see a little cursor pop up, all the apps are all loaded onto the 'Web OS 3.0' interface which has things like Amazon Video, Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, a Web Browser etc. on it and you use the remote's cursor to select them on the fly, it's really rather clever.

They're getting Sky Q installed next week too so Premier League footy in 4K from Friday :wub:

13 hours ago, mr lakitu said:

Netflix with a few 4K stuff costs £8.99 a month as opposed to the normal £5.99 a month so I won't be bothering.

Yeah 4k glory level Netflix is £8.99, but the standard HD pack went up to £7.49 back in May (unless you've just got the 'basic' SD pack at £5.99) anyway so you're essentially paying £1.50 more for a lot of 4K content, well worth it in my view, what's an extra £1.50 a month if you've just spent all that wonga on a 4K TV?

Surely you wanna make use of it otherwise what's the point in having a 4K TV when you could've just got a bigger 1080p one for much cheaper...

No idea how you've still got it for £5.99 then, I had a grace period where it remained at the same price too but it went up to £7.50 as I said, yours will go up to that in time (unless you go down to the standard package).

Also, that's a bloody good amount of content, what's wrong with that? (List is missing Stranger Things too), its £1.50/£3 man, Jesus Christ what is £1.50/£3 a month in 2016 especially when you've spent £369 already :lol: 2 or 4 mars bars? 

Bloody tight northern bastards :P