passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New TV

retroed

• 4 months later...
Hendo, these are my current settings for the Wii via component. Let me know if they improve your picture!
Contrast - 70

Brightness - 40

Colour - 45

Tint - 50

Sharpness - 60

Fresh Tone - 40

Colour Temp - Cool

I reckon I sit around 10 feet away from the screen on my sofa when I'm playing the Wii. I use the pouffe when I'm playing racing games on the 360, sat right in front of the screen. B)

Hendo, did you ever manage to get a decent picture that you were happy with out of the Wii? As it's seen a huge resurgence for me lately, and with Tiger 10 and Wii Sports Resort on the way, I thought I'd have another play around with the settings. I did this this evening, so it could look rubbish in daylight, but for now it's the best I can get it. There's still jaggies ahoy, but the actual colours seem better now, were a bit bright and blurry before. You can minimise jaggies by dropping the sharpness, but it creates blurring.

Contrast - 65

Brightness - 60

Colour - 40

Tint - 50

Sharpness - 80

Fresh Tone - 50

Colour Temp - Cool

Hendo, did you ever manage to get a decent picture that you were happy with out of the Wii?

Nah, it still looks gash. It looks brilliant on a couple of mates' TV's with SCART and mine is on component and looks worse.

I think it's just that the Hannspree seems to have a really poor quality Component connection. I'd love a new telly, but can't justify the outlay. 360 and PS3 look really good on it.

• 11 months later...

Well, I bought a new TV yesterday. Nothing fancy, still a 37" LCD, and still 720p. I could have gone for 1080p for an extra £60, but on a TV this size it wouldn't be noticeable. It's an LG this time, and component looks superb, worth it just for that! Played a bunch of SMG2 and that looks fantastic. Went for a spot of Super Mario World, Zelda LTTP, and MK64 and they looks great also. I'll probably play my Wii more now. That probably makes me sound like a cock, but it really did use to put me off playing Wii. A pretty good bargain too, at £320.

• 5 months later...

I think I have the series before that one Mark, mine is a series 6. It's really nice, but I really wish they would put separate buttons for switching through stuff. I have the NGC and Wii, plugged in through AV, and the 2 HD consoles through HDMI. When wanting to scroll through them you have to press the same button on the remote and quite frankly its a pain n the arse.

Digital TV > Analogue TV (Seriously, what's the point?) > NGC > Wii > 360 > PS3

So if I browse something on the PS3 or play, I have to press the button 5 times before I can get back to my other console. What annoys me is that there are fucking loads of buttons on the remote that I never use that could have been utilised to get round this problem.

When wanting to scroll through them you have to press the same button on the remote and quite frankly its a pain n the arse.

My Bravia does that as well, but you can also use the arrows to scroll through them. Easier to go back one than scroll round through them all again.

• 4 years later...

Was looking at 4k TV's today, anyone have one? The one that sparked my interest was the 49" Sony, big selling point 4 hdmi sockets means I can plug everything in at the same time. Looking at the colour and vibrancy of the screens is immense.

Trying to find something that's not over reflective, current plasma spend more time watching me in the reflection while watching normal tv.

edit, I was looking in John Lewis, they are still regarded as the best to buy from?

That's a massive can of worms right there, Dangerman.

From how I understand it, a true 1080p picture upscale to a true 4k display shouldn't be stretched at all... The pixel density is divisible by 4.

I still wouldn't get one though.

That's a good point, does that mean on a 4k each pixel from a 1080p image is getting upscale by x4?

not stretched as in changed shape, stretched as in blown up. The Wii comparison is what I was getting at, or when you blow up a picture in photoshop because you can't find a larger one. Or watching SD tv on a HD tv I guess

where you had, say 2 pixels before now you have 8 (or whatever), so something that was pinpoint is now blurrier. If the pixel density is large enough it might not matter, but then you also wouldn't see any benefits either