MFGamers

The Orange Box

Phooey

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Finally got me some Orange Box last night, only played a bit of Portal so far and it is really good. I'm still early into it (at the end of the first set of levels) but I kind of hope they dont reuse the propulsion solution too often, not that it's hard to work out of boring to use, just that it can be a bit fiddly to position

Finally got me some Orange Box last night, only played a bit of Portal so far and it is really good. I'm still early into it (at the end of the first set of levels) but I kind of hope they dont reuse the propulsion solution too often, not that it's hard to work out of boring to use, just that it can be a bit fiddly to position

You have to use propulsion a lot later on, but once you get used to positioning it it's fine.

My girlfriends got an orange box.

She might want to get that looked at... so to speak :huh:

I think i'm going to join ed on being a little underwhelmed by Portal. I am enjoying it, but the escaping puzzles aren't as good as the early part of the game for me. It is really funny though, or it was really funny, not so much now

I think i'm going to join ed on being a little underwhelmed by Portal. I am enjoying it, but the escaping puzzles aren't as good as the early part of the game for me. It is really funny though, or it was really funny, not so much now

******SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!*******

Did you KNOW that the second half of the game changed though?

I played this through with out any idea about what was going to happen and it blew me away... just the dramatic change from a puzzle game to something much more sinister got me.

I knew that there was a point where you finished the levels thinking it was the end but it wasn't. But I didnt know what form that would take, I assumed you'd do the 19 levels then be told that you had to do expert levels or something.

I'm willing to accept that playing the game after everyone else has probably hindered it for me, it's not lived up to the hyperbole, but I did enjoy it but not so much that if it is the best thing about the orange box I'd be happy, I'd be disappointed. The game is piss funny though and all credit to it for that, and I am going to look for that HL2 mod so i can use the portal gun in the game once i've finished that

Yeah it's probably down to all the fapping, and the ending will be spoiled for you too now. <_<

Seriously, one of the most mind-blowing things about the game was the ending and yet everyone fucking leaks it and spoofs it so it's no surprise anymore.

Maybe I missed something with it, or the hype has confused me. I've done the last boss, which was fantastic, but I didn't actually get to choose anything. I did see the end credit cake related thing, so I'm begining to think that the hype + my attempted avoidance of it = misinformation. Which is probably a good thing because the actual ending was a bit of a surprise and gave me more to think about than had I just been walking steps I'd already seen.

Hurray for ignorance! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing through Half-Life 2 and it really is utterly fucking awesome. I don't think i've ever played a game this packed with ideas. My problem with a few fps' including Doom 3 and Bioshock is that they spammed the set pieces. The games were all just a string of predetermined events linked by corridors, and they really telgraphed it. Half-Life (both 1 & 2) are the same, except the build up to them flows much better. They are less obvious and intrusive, you can't see the joins quite as clearly. If I was writing this on the site a year ago I'd probably say it was the difference between lube and dry bumming.

I love the way you keep seeing the G-man too, although I'd liek to see Gordan react to him a bit more, but then I guess he wouldn't be Gordan would he. Also did I miss something at the start of the game that explained why everything had gone 1984? I get the aliens, and maybe it's just been too long since the first game, but I feel like I've missed a cut scene or something

i need to get hold of the first half life, i never finished it on the PC, i believe you can buy it now where it is powered by the HL2 engine? I don't know for sure i'm not a pc gamer. Can anyone shed any light on it?

.:EDIT:. Its on steam apparently

.:EDIT AGAIN:. $9.99, bargain!!...i should probably research these things before i start a post...

If I was writing this on the site a year ago I'd probably say it was the difference between lube and dry bumming.

First of all you cant get around the GAY rule by pretending you are in the past, otherwise if that was the rule illdog would still be cool. (there is no 'second of all')

Also did I miss something at the start of the game that explained why everything had gone 1984? I get the aliens, and maybe it's just been too long since the first game, but I feel like I've missed a cut scene or something

I think thats another part of the game's charm, that it doesnt spoon feed you by saying ' the year is 2010, five years have passed, people now live under a totalitarian state' etc etc. I really liked the fact that you seem to have missed out cut scenes, because you are in Gordan's shoes and you only know as much as he does, having gone through some kind of time warp (que illdizzle 'leeets do the tiiiime warp agaaaa NO ILLDOG!)

I think the only negative about HL2 is that it does feel like it drags on a bit, I much prefer the length of the episodes.

Also, is it ever explained why Gordon is mute? It does bug me that people talk to him without ever acknowledging that he doesn't talk back and if they do no-one ever says, "oh yeah, Gordon can't speak".

• 2 weeks later...

Finished this yesterday and I wholeheartedly agree with Hendo that it's too long. It's not so much the games total length as a few sections dragging on for an hour or so longer than they need to.

The improved gravity gun is awesome though, it might even rival the BFG as the greatest gun ever

Im a cunt fuck

You sure are tampon licker

See, i was gonna put OB on the back burner and bum through DMC and Rockband but reading this thread has all but whipped me in a frenzy about starting this. Anyone still play Team Fortress?