Phooey

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Damn Portal is brilliant!

I just started there, playing together with a mate, and we're already on Chamber 15:ohmy: .

So totally addictive, and I was kinda expecting the puzzles to be insanely difficult, but so far they all make sense and they sometimes take a while to work out, but the almost perfect learning curve means it's never difficult.

I think portal would be my game of the year as well ( super later contender, seen as i started playing in on December 29th...)

Everything about it was so perfectly balanced, even its length. All of the "forth wall" stuff really fucked with me but just added to its brilliance. So far i've played through all of the hard levels, just got the last one to finish, although thats turning out to be a cunt.

I'm currently playing through HL2, do the events in portal have any relevance on the rest of the games (if it does please avoid spoilers ;) ) I wasn't sure if its meant to tie in in some way.

Damn, what a totally awesome box of fun this is.

Finished 2 of the Half-Lifes and Portal. Still have Ep 2 to do.

Think I'll be playing this for a long time because of the great achievements this has. Truly the best videogame compilation there has ever been.

RetroEd wrote:

I haven't played anything of the Orange Box other than Portal, which I have finished. I get FPS'ed out sometimes, and having just finished the awesome COD4, I may leave it for a little longer.

I've not been an FPS fan in the past either (not on consoles anyhoo) but my two fave games of last year were both FPS. I think its still an exception to the rule, I really didn't enjoy halo 3 much, nor quake 4.

The Orange Box is truly the best value compilation ever made, and a snip at 25 quid on play.

JimboXiii wrote:

do the events in portal have any relevance on the rest of the games (if it does please avoid spoilers ;) ) I wasn't sure if its meant to tie in in some way.

Kind of, but not in a major way (at least not yet).

Aperture Science (we do what we must, because we can) is the rival to Black Mesa.

• 3 weeks later...

I started Half-Life 2 last night. It's pretty darn awesome. Peoples faces (and the way they follow you/move) and the water effects are the best I've seen, my jaw dropped. I didn't realise that HL2 had loads of little puzzles in it, that's cool. Those face hugging things that jump around piss me off greatly! I played for about 2.5-3hrs last night, and I'm currently off my airboat and trying to open gate 5 that closed as I approached it, or maybe the water will rise? Either way, I saved it in a container with a helicopter outside trying to shoot at me. Good stuff, except for the loading times that really take you out of the action.

Hendo wrote:

Because of the length of the episodes I'd heartily recommend diving straight into Episode 1. Great stuff.

how long are the other episodes,about 6hrs?i'm currently replaying ffx with the missus so i'll finish that 1st,although i'm curious how it starts after the hanging cliff that is the end of hl 2