passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Orange Box

Phooey

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started Portal tonight, and yeah, it's pretty good isn't it! I have played up until the beginning of Testchamber 17, and the game clock says I've been playing for 1hr 33min. I really like the simplicity of it, but also how well thought out the levels are. It has taxed my brain a couple times, trying to work out what I need to do in order to complete a level. The game has actually made me feel a bit queasy at times, I think my head is getting confused by how the Portal's act. :huh:

I'll be playing this again after work tomorrow, and will probably end up finishing the last few levels before maybe going on to the Advanced ones. :)

At the risk of spoiling anything, welcome to the beginning of the game, Ed. :)

Out of all the quality games I've played that have come out this year (Episode 2, Bioshock, Galaxy, Phantom Hourglass, Crackdown, Halo 3, two Phoenix Wright games and hell, even Puzzle Quest!) this is most likely my game of the year.

And that's just Portal.

RetroEd wrote:

I haven't played any of The Orange Box yet, due to Super Mario Galaxy, but I did spot this on rllmuk in the Portal thread.

companioncubes.jpg

Can we have a massive alert type thread when that hits the store? I need that NOW! :blush:

I'm still in love with Portals no matter how short it is.

I must of played through it 5 times, has anyone played it with the cometary on? Its quite interesting, I like how they modded the physics engine in a bubble around the portal, very clever :)

Has anyone found the easter egg yet? The login details?

watch this flash animation if you like HL, its cheesy funny! LINKY

it was brilliant, i was just taken aback by its brevity. whats the easter egg, moggymatt? i played it on a crt and most text i found is illegible because of my stupid tv :(

like that window you can see through with the writing being projected on the wall, like a presentation. not a chance i could read any of that!!!

I liked Portal, but I think I was a bit overhyped for it. After reading nothing but praise for the game, I didn't feel quite the same way on playing it. I still enjoyed it though, and it's good to have something a bit different.

I was thinking about that today actually.

It's an unfortunate situation where if a game really grabs you want to tell everybody how amazing it is, but then the danger is that someone's gonna be so pumped for it that it will only disappoint them.

For me, see Phantom Hourglass (Milky was right - 8/10 is fair), Taiko DS, Worms Open Warfare 2, Super Paper Mario (nowhere near as great as the other Paper Mario games, sadly).

On the flipside, I'd heard nothing but bad or average reports about Sonic Rush Adventure so I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be a great little game. Flawed, but great.

Hype's natural, you can't fight it really, we all do it.

You're right Hendo, we all hype things, and we all fall for it as well. I think with Portal I expected it to be more like it is on the earlier levels. When the levels started to get longer (16 onwards?), I found myself becoming less interested in it. I liked the bite-size levels where you can jump in, work your brain a little bit, and then move on to the next. Towards the end the levels were too long for what the game entailed, in my opinion. I know the overall game was very short, but I'd rather have had 30 short levels than 15 short levels and 4 longer ones. It's just not quite as I expected, I guess. And it made my head hurt at times, the portal's made me dizzy. :)

Its not just portals it the whole 'Source' engine! Its a fantastic games engine. It runs on any bag of shite PC and will run on the best PC's and still look good.

If you've got a half decent PC you must try the FakeFactory models and the Hi-res texture packs for the source engine. Alex looks even hotter :whistle: (did I just type that lol)

I don't mean to sound all fanboy'ish but the source engine has so much more life in it. It runs great on just about any machine, the physics are great, the environment is fun to play with. The gravity gun! do I need say more than gravity gun+razor= Gibs! Much fun! How ace would it be to have the portal gun and the gravity gun :woohoo:

lucky for I didn't get much hype myself as I didn't expect I'd get to play it. I finished Half-life 2 on xbox then again on PC ages ago. I heard about the portal development on GamerTV and then didn't really look into till a friend said come round and play it :) On his sexy beast of a rig :P

well one that you don't have to be Uber rich to own..

Alex is super hot, moggy matt. 24 carat golden fox of holy sex

i think the humans in the half life 2 games are amazing. best around. theyre not super realistic but they dont look like shiny plastic and the animations are brilliant. the voice acting is great and the script believable too. rock on

i hope valve keep augmenting the source engine with new features like they said they would, rather than replacing it.

as for hype, yeah it sucks when it goes wrong (often). i agree about super paper mario hendo, it probably scrapes an 8/10 for me, i enjoyed it but during the last couple of levels it dawned on me it fell short of paper mario brilliance by a margin. Isnt it fucking brill though when a game meets or surpasses the hype? a few games have done that this year for me, Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 spring to mind.

also this year some games that i have avoided the hype for have blown me away, like cod4 which i dismissed because of its lineage but a chance encounter showed me the way. or the orange box, id given up on playing it as i didnt have a platform for it until recently so i hadnt hyped it up like i did hl2 and ep1.

also there are some games that i am fully prepared for them being a letdown like Umbrella Chronicles. so if thats very good, 8.5/10+ say, thatll shatter my expectations and youll have a very happy TGK

Yeah what you said about humans in Half-Life 2 was spot on. Very good for their time, and not dating to shabby either B)

[going slightly off topic]

I first saw COD4 properly on steam when they released that trailer. I've only played the Demo of COD4, a few days later at a friends house!

Like TGK I too was blown away! It really surprised me. I didn't expect it to run as well as it did with a lot of the candy turned on/up on mid/low end computer. I've also played and the DS version(briefly)have any of you played it? ;)

[going a bit further off topic]

Like Hendo and quite a few other people it seems, I also wasn't gripped by PaperMario.

Nowhere as near as I was with Thousand year door. It's not a bad game just 'hype' may of striked again, i've just not been in the mood to pick it up and play.

[oh dear further down the path off-topicness]

TGK, Is Umbrella chronicles really quite good, worth a splash of da cash? Would you recommend getting the Wii-zapper or any other Gun attachment? (if you've got one)

[Pulling it back home]

Do many/any of you guys play HL death match or CSS or Team fortress?

Sorry for the off topic/reply and general random'ness, I just checked email before head out (still haven't full woke up) and wanted to reply before my net dies again :S

Ive played the DS version of cod4, moggy. it was ok, but i felt like i was playing an unremarkable n64 fps and the genre has come so far since then i got bored with it :(

I think Super Paper Mario whilst a victim of hype, it was really a victim of its own benchmarks, it failed to meet previous high standards. Paper Mario TTYD would be a mid to high 9s for me, so when a paper mario game scrapes an 8 on the TGK-O-Meter its a damn shame.

Ill be getting Umbrella Chronicles tomorrow, PowerPlayDirect willing. I havent got it yet matt. Im 99% certain i will be delivering a verdict of nay on the zapper though, doesnt make sense to me to have a piece of plastic shaped like a gun tying your hands together clumsily when it doesnt even aim and shoot like a gun

i would play CSS but my comp is fucked. ill probably play team fortress 2 on 360 when they sort their servers out and my internet gets fixed though