passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Orange Box

Phooey

I thought you hadn't completed the game yet? Why not play the game properly before messing about with achievements (if you've completed it then fair enough, although complaining about them not being fun when you dont have to do them) and not enjoying the game.

The bain of gaming, that's what they are

I didnt realise you were galloping past on your huge horse. I know i dont have to do the achievements, but i normally enjoy doing them, that why i was dissapointed that they werent making the game anymore fun. Thanks for your advice tho.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The day you rely on a cunt like Sam to feel justified is a sad day indeed.

But whatever also, im fine with liking achievements and also with not liking Half Life 2 so far. And me not liking HL2 also has nothing to do with the achievements, i dont like them seperatley. :)

Thats right, smiley face makes everything better.

Episode two is definitely very very good, the ending set peice is fucking fantastic, if a little tricky.

Theres an acheivement in episode 2 for transporting a garden gnome all the way through the game, I recommend no one trying this, its just fucking stupid, I lasted about 6 minutes and then I fired the little fella into the abyss (dont make a joke of that last sentance)

Theres an acheivement in episode 2 for transporting a garden gnome all the way through the game, I recommend no one trying this, its just fucking stupid, I lasted about 6 minutes and then I fired the little fella into the abyss (dont make a joke of that last sentance)

What, you didnt like the game just cos of the achievements?

This is you in your Stephen Hawking robot voice 'uhhh, help me mum, ive shit my wheelchair again, why is my pee pee standing on end cos your only wearing a bra? uuuuuuh.'

I do fancy your mum.

I think its a pretty wicked game actually, but im not really an achievementer. I found the majority of the acheivements I actually got just playing it, but there are one or two of them in the game that are really a challenge, which is how it should be, there should be some that you get by just playing the game well, and then others which are fucking solid.

I like the ones where youve got to kill people with their own grenades, and those shit landmines. Ive got to say that I actually completely loved the half life series, but then again I didnt have any problems with wheels getting stuck in the sand or shit like that.

Playing through Ravenholm just using the grav gun is fun in an incredibly "oh my fucking god, I hate those fast zombies at the best of times, how am I gonna stop them with this?" kind of manner. I didn't manage it in the end *strokes shotgun*

In all honesty though, I've no idea how the conversion to consoles went overall, I played a bit of the XBox version around the time the 360 was launched and loading times aside, thats no different to the PC version (possibly ignoring graphics a bit too there...)

As for the "Gnome" achievement in Ep2, its entirely optional and is achievable, although I know of someone who carried the thing the whole way through the game and forgot

to put the little fella into the rocket at the end

I would certainly ignore the gnome achievement on first run through on Episode 2 and the "don't touch the sand" one on the first HL, as they are there primarily for hardcore players (ie. you know the game inside out), and in my humble opinion, the best way to play the games is just to be pushed through the roller coaster and enjoy the ride. Put the achievement guide down and come back to it when you've beaten the game. :)

half life 2 and its episodes, if youll let me think of them as one game, are in my top ten games of all time. i thought the action was brilliant, fantastic level and art design, the graphics still stand up, the story is immense, it has the best characters ive ever seen for humanity and immersion, i cant remember once thinking it was a glitchfest either. as for the achievements, i went through all the half life games on orange box without trying to get any achievements. then i went through them all again and immolated those achievements with a firey passion, and had great fun. loved staying off the sand, loved finishing ep1 only firing one bullet, loved taking the gnome to the rocket, loved going through ravenholm without using anything but the grav gun. challenging and fun i thought! the save all the building achievement at the end of ep2 is a really good challenge, probably the hardest one on the HL2 games. plus i liked the little ones like pinning a fool to a bilboard with the crossbow or setting 15 zombies on fire

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I can completely see why everyone gushes about Portal, its the fucking bomb. The computer voice is hilarious with the things it says. Completing any level makes you feel like you are the chairman of Mensa. I think im on the very last bit now, running around outside the testchambers, ive come to a room where this robot arm with an eye is shooting missles at me but then i had to go to damn cursed work. I need more Portal.

I can completely see why everyone gushes about Portal, its the fucking bomb. The computer voice is hilarious with the things it says. Completing any level makes you feel like you are the chairman of Mensa. I think im on the very last bit now, running around outside the testchambers, ive come to a room where this robot arm with an eye is shooting missles at me but then i had to go to damn cursed work. I need more Portal.

if you buy the XBLA version you get extra maps, but no extra "plot".

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• 10 years later...

Is this the biggest necro bump I'll do? Possibly?

Played through HL2 and Lost Coast.

You know, I was never that sold on HL2 if I'm being honest. Playing it with that in mind I was surprised to find that I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I stand by my comments that there's far too much 'nothing' in these games that join the bits where stuff happens, but whatever, man. The bits that are great are still fantastic, it could be argue that the down times where you're basically commuting from A to B are part of the flow that makes those exchanges what they are.

For me it was looking back and seeing the genesis of certain things we sort of take for granted now with games. The way that toys are dealt to the player. The way that areas are lit to subconsciously show you were you're meant to be going. Certain graphical things as well as well as audio playing a huge part in the overall package. It's really easy to poo poo older games, but it's important to look at them for what they are. Half Life 2 took major strides in game development.

Parts of Half Life 2 have aged amazingly well, but just as much of it has aged terribly. In this day and age the story of HL2 moves about as quick as erosion and it ends really oddly, it's kind of abrupt. It feels like there should be more to it aside from the mad power trip you get at the end.

Lost Coast is a 20 minute foray up a cliff side and then a fight around a church. Aside from a few graphical things like the variable glass thickness there's nothing you're really missing. If you have it, give it a go, if not, you're not missing anything particularly special.

More to come when Ep1 and 2 come out the hat.