passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Radiohead

Hendo

Don't know if anyone else is a fan, but the news broke yesterday about their new album, and it could "change the way we get new music".

clicky

After a false alarm, believed to be a hoax, Radiohead have officially revealed their seventh album is ready, and will be available for download in just ten days' time.

In a shock announcement on their official website today (September 30), a message from guitarist Jonny Greenwood read: "Hello everyone. Well, the new album is finished, and it's coming out in 10 days; We've called it 'In Rainbows'. Love from us all. Jonny"

As if that news wasn't a big enough bombshell, the band have not set a price for the download version of the album, leaving the 'price' field blank and letting the customer decide how much to pay for the release.

Greenwood's message linked to this site where the album has been made available to pre-order as a download and a discbox. The download version will be available on October 10, while the discbox will be ready to ship on or before December 3.

The discbox, costing £40, contains the new album 'In Rainbows' on CD, and on two 12" heavyweight vinyl records. There is also a second enhanced CD containing more new songs, along with digital photographs and artwork. The set also includes lyric booklets and all are encased in a hardback book and slipcase.

Anyone who buys the boxset will automatically be able to download the album from October 10.

The album, the band's seventh studio effort, will only be available exclusive through Radiohead.com for now, but Radiohead say they are current planning a "traditional CD release" of 'In Rainbows' for early next year.

Fuck me, that's brave.

And not just the unusual album title. :laugh:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they said on the news that you have to pay 45p for the service or something like that.

Personally i hate the idea of all music becoming digital, I like owning cds and all the bumf that comes with that. That said I could never justify £40 on a radiohead album, and i dont fancy waiting till next year, so it'll probably get downloaded for a pound or something (then maybe buy the cd next year)

I'm a huge fan so I'll be ordering the boxset - I reckon it's fair to wing 'em a fiver for the download album.

I would pay more purely to encourage this kind of thing, like I say a very brave move by such a massive band, but ultimately I'm a cheap bastard.

Exactly.

The bigger you are the more people you employ, the more people who continually tell you how much you need to get paid. Look at Metallica.

I think it's extremely brave to be doing this at their level - a smaller band (and many have) would give their stuff away for the publicity but a stadium enormo-dome band doing it?

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else been listening to this? I've put it on a few times and there's some moments of real genius in there.

I ordered the box. :)

Now I know this is fuck all to do with Radiohead, but Trent Reznor (the miserable bastard from Nine Inch Nails) has been working with Saul Williams and this is what he had to say about it.

As many of you know, I've been working closely with Saul Williams on his new record. We've spent many hours together in hotel rooms, busses, backstages and studios around the world working on something we knew was great. This is the most involved I've been with any project outside NIN since Antichrist Superstar, and I've been impatiently waiting for the chance for you to hear it. Well... guess what?

The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust! has arrived! After my own recent dealings with record labels we decided to release it directly to you. Head over to http://www.niggytardust.com for all the details. Register now and you can download the record November 1st. Working on this project was a real pleasure. Saul was interested in breaking boundaries / crossing genres / defying expectations and we learned a great deal from one another in the process. When asked about the sound of the record, I've had to resort to "... I really don't know HOW to describe it." That's a good thing more than ever these days.

A word on the way we've chosen to release this. There are obvious similarities in how Radiohead just released their new record and the way we've chosen to. After thinking about this way too much, I feel we've improved upon their idea in a few profound ways that benefit you, the consumer. You obviously will be the judge of this in the end. One thing that IS very different in our situation is that Saul's not the household name (yet!) that Radiohead is, and that means we need your support on this more than ever. If you like what you hear, spread the word.

I hope you enjoy the music,

TR

Click on the link and you can either pre-order for $5 or get it for free!

This, yet again, needs applauding.

EDIT

I paid the man.

I've got a bit of spare cash in my paypal account so i might send a bit of money their way. Cant think of much Reznor has been involved that I haven't liked. And any man who can follow The Downward Spiral with The Fragile is a man who sould be listened to.

He's just left his label too because they charge too much for his stuff (particularly in Australia), so expect the next NIN album to be released like this

As for Radiohead, I've only heard it a few times and always as background music, so I cant really say much about it. I might buy that tomorrow too

• 1 month later...

And my box set just arrived. :)

I forgot I ordered it so that was a nice suprise.

I'll never get a chance to play the vinyl (due to not having a record player anymore) and I'm not sure I'd want to anyway, but as a collectors item this pack is brilliant. Once I've imported the extra disc I'll probably never touch the box again, but it's nice to have.

I was gonna take a pic, but it looks exactly how that pic you posted looks.

It's like a gigantic CD...um.....what's that kind of cardboard CD case you get? Anyway, like that, where you have an outer cover where the proper thing slides out.

It looks ace. :)

Oh, and someone on GTM posted this which I thought you'd appreciate.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L1c5bE10tnk

• 3 months later...

Remix Nude, upload it and vote on remixes:

To celebrate this week's single release (we still have those in England) Radiohead have broken up the song 'Nude' into pieces for you to remix.

For those of you who enjoy this sort of thing, you can buy the separate components or 'stems' (bass, voice, guitar, strings/FX and drums) and remix your own version of the song. You can do this by adding your own beats and instrumentation or just remixing the original parts. More information here: http://www.radioheadremix.com/information/

You can buy the stems here: http://www.radioheadremix.com/buy/

You can upload your finished mixes here http://www.radioheadremix.com and be judged and even voted on by 'the public'.

You can also create a widget allowing votes from your own website, Facebook or MySpace page to be sent through too.

Hope you enjoy it

For those of you who aren't that way inclined, Nude is also available in its entirety on CD and 7 inch (UK release) at the usual retail outlets.

I didn't notice until a mate came round and I showed him, that you do have to buy the stems which sucks, but they're only 79p each, and there's only 5 of them.

I'd give it a go. :)

I don't have a Mac though so would any other audio editor do (like, Audacity for example)?

• 2 months later...

Oooh nice. :)

That must be EMI's doing though as that's a very non-Radiohead title isn't it? The Best Of. :D

I meant to get round to buying the Television Commercials (or whatever it was called) on DVD as I had it on VHS but this is a good alternative.

• 4 weeks later...

Phone rings on Friday night and it's Ben.

"You want to go and see Radiohead?" Yeah sure. When?

"Sunday?"

:D

So me, Ben, spatular and two of Ben's ex-housemates trudged to the cricket ground in Old Trafford and watched MGMT, Bats For Lashes and then about 2 hours of Radiohead. :D

It's an open venue so it was very lucky that the weather was pretty good but obviously they were tiny little men from where we were standing and the sound could've done with being a bit louder (unless I'm going deaf).

The only real spoil was the constant people going past you as we were stood right by one of the exits and Ben being stood behind the tallest man in the world.

Other than that, good times.

You fuck.

Have you got the In Rainbows Basement thingy?

No, I'm still having an internal debate about buying music as a download. It's only 89p per track though.

Awesome pictures, spatular!

The middle one is where we were all sat, but after about 3 songs me and Ben had enough of being too far away so made our way down the crowd. The top pic of them playing There There is a better zoom than we ever got so you can imagine how tiny they were. The videoscreen was pretty cool though, with fixed cameras above and to the side of band members.

Phone rings on Friday night and it's Ben.

"You want to go and see Radiohead?" Yeah sure. When?

"Sunday?"

:D

So me, Ben, spatular and two of Ben's ex-housemates trudged to the cricket ground in Old Trafford and watched MGMT, Bats For Lashes and then about 2 hours of Radiohead. :D

It's an open venue so it was very lucky that the weather was pretty good but obviously they were tiny little men from where we were standing and the sound could've done with being a bit louder (unless I'm going deaf).

The only real spoil was the constant people going past you as we were stood right by one of the exits and Ben being stood behind the tallest man in the world.

Other than that, good times.

By the end I was stood next to the tallest man in the world and was using him as a buffer. I did have the Hacienda doing the most manc dancing I've ever seen perilously close to my face for the last 20 mins though.

All told it was a good gig, but you're right Hendo it should have been louder or we should have got closer. Bats For Lashes won me over too, I'll be picking her album up today I think

And a quick message to Sam and Wiivo, I don't even listen to Radiohead anymore and may have been the only person in the crowd who didn't know the words to anything. Shame you pair weren't there you'd have loved it ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...