Urahara

Films

Been a while since I used Tesco's uber-cheap film deals, but I just bought The Producers (original version) for 4 quid, and The Wicker Man for a fiver (also original version).

I haven't seen either film's remake and I don't think I want to, but now I can finally see The Wicker Man all the way through, as the last time I watched it was at Glastonbury and when it came to the last section the stupid bastard put the reel on wrong and so the film went upside down and backwards.

Yes, I was on drugs at the time but it really did happen.

wiivo wrote:

1408: Slow all the time, predictible and the look on his face when he's meant to be scared is the singe most funny thing of any comedy so far this year.

I quite enjoyed 1408, it's not the best thing ever but it scarier (not that it is actually scary) than most horrors recently

I watched Shoot em up last week, and it's pretty good. The plot is bollocks, but it's the kind of over the top action film that knows it's an over the top action film, like the new Die Hard. It's brainless, but some of the gunplay is genius

I also started to watch a film called Plane Dead (or Flight of the living dead). Considering its frankly awesome name, the film is diabolical, and not in a good way. I was expecting Snakes on a Plane but with zombies, and that probably was the remit, but it's so slow, and even whe something is happening, it barely stands out. I got about an hour in then turned off

Watched No Country For Old Men last night, awesome film, and almost certainly the best film of this year, until My Name Is Bruce comes out anyway

It's a Cohen brothers ilm, and is a lot like other films they've done, except with pretty much all the humour taken out. It's about 3 men, one finds a bunch of money, one is trying to recover the money and the other is the sheriff, and it really is just the typical shaggy dog story that the Cohen bros do. The bad guy is brilliantly played, and might just have the best gun of all time

Not sure its the best film the Cohens have done, but it's right up there

Just completed my Studio Ghibli collection in the last week so I've mostly been gorging in the fruit of that wondrous vine. :)

If we're talking anime, I finally got around to watching Barefoot Gen over christmas. Oh my fuck that's a heart breaking film

Ben wrote:

If we're talking anime, I finally got around to watching Barefoot Gen over christmas. Oh my fuck that's a heart breaking film

Can't you watch a Christmas Carol like normal people ;) Yeah that film is pretty messed up but a great watch if you're in the mood.

I watched Shoot 'em Up last night the new Clive Owen film not 100% if it's out here or not yet but it's basically a film if a film was a video game. It's got a daft story and lots of shooting. Pretty much summed up if you put Max Payne into Grand Theft Auto and added a bit of Lone Wolf and Cub you'd be there its brilliant for really OTT action and gunplay and has possibly the most amusing sex scene ever committed to film in it.

I finally got round to watching Alien vs. Predator the other week. After all the slagging it gets I was pleasantly surprised. It's cack but it is watchable cack, plus I like the concept of the Predators breeding Aliens just so they have something to fight. :)

The new one is supposedly much better, there's a massive ad up in manchester that takes up 2 sides of a building, and is about 30ft off the ground. Its got the 3 aiming lights built into it for the Predater too :ohmy: It's got me far too excited about seeing it as it'll likely still be wanky, but its focused my mind on how i'd steal that enourmous poster

Watched Bourne Ultimatum the other day, took about 3 days for the motion sickness to wear off, the fucking camera angle changes about 3 times a second. Ive enjoyed all three films even tho im no a political thriller fan but I have zero interest in watching any of them again. Id flick to the fight scenes cos they were great but only if I clamped my head in a vice and got my misses to administer eye drops.

I went to see JUMPER this weekend and i loved it.

I have been pretty excited about it ever since seeing the trailer and think its a cool concept.

You gotta suspend your disbelief, as if you aren't prepared to buy into the fact that this kid can teleport, then you aren't going to enjoy the film.

The effects are super cool and it looks awesome when he jumps. Bit of a cheesy story line... clearly aimed at american teen audiences.. and the ending is very open so they clearly plan on making it into a trilogy or doing a TV spin off.

All in all very good fun though with some great action sequences. If you are into your typical popcorn flicks (which i am) then its worth a watch.

I absolutely love that you liked this film, i wanted to see it yesterday but orange wednesdays beckon to me. I think it looks like a really cool concept, it would work well as a game (I bet the actually movie tie in is shit though)

This kind of movie does require that you dont go in looking for faults and so I wont be doing, im just going to go an and enjoy it as much as I can.

Saw Bubba Ho-Tep last night, i think Ben's seen it too, anyone else? Its the story of an aging Elvis and a black JFK battling a soul stealing Mummy in a retirement home.

For such an insane concept the script takes itself very seriously and benefits from it, Elvis's narration is both insightful and hilarious at times and the background stories on the characters are great.

Not for everyone but its worth a watch.

Yeah i have seen Bubba ho-tep.

Thought it was pretty funny but actually found it a bit boring at times too.

Nice idea though.

Jumper is better :whistle:

I haven't even heard of Bubba-Ho-Tep! Still banging on about Cardigan - The Movie eh Oli?

Bubba Ho Tep is a great film, it does help if you like Bruce Campbell as a B-Movie actor though. (Evil Dead FTW)

As for Jumper, aint seen it yet, but the trailers look good. Pity about the shit name though!

Just finished reading Bruce campbells 2nd book and its piss funny.

For anyone who isnt sure who BC is (Hendo) remember that usher in Spiderman 2? The one who seemed to be a bit too big for his part, and stole the whole film. That is Bruce Campbell

Cant wait for the Bubba follow up and My Name is Bruce (potential film of the year)

In semi related news. Stephen Chow, or god as he's known, has 2 films on the way this year :cheer:

He is also the one from all the evil dead films... YOu have deffinately seen a film with him in.

He is also the french restaurant manager in spiderman 3.

Ben wrote:

Cant wait for the Bubba follow up and My Name is Bruce (potential film of the year)

I don't think Bruce is doing the Bubba sequel as he wanted them to leave it as one film. I wasn't all that keen on Bubba Hoetep (don't know if thats spelt right, can't be arsed to check.) It just didn't grab me. BC was the best part about Spidy 3 by a mile, the rest of that flick was tripe.

I quite liek the 3rd one, it made me laugh how Parker turned evil the second he combed his hair a bit differently.

And watching it in the cinema you could feel the expectency as Bruce came on the screen, any one who was talking just went silent and everyone stopped munching popcorn :lol:

he's in all three spiderman films isnt he, hes the fight announcer in the first, the theatre usher in the second and the waiter fellow in the third. my mate has seen bubba hotep and he said its sweet, i havent got round to watching it yet though. whats my name is bruce all about?

great to hear theres a kung fu hustle 2 in production too