Urahara

Films

I stayed up way past my bedtime to watch The Machinist last night. What a top film. Christian Bale is always pretty good, but having been a lean mean muscle machine (refer to American Phsyco) and then dropping 63 pounds (i think thats 4 and a half stone) to play Trevor must have been a hell of a feat of discipline.

Its a very dark and brooding film, i dont know the style of filming used but its all coppery like in Pitch Black which does nothing but accentuate Bale's spiral into his own paranoia. Watch it if you havent, but dont expect to be in a party mood afterward.

Oh, and i saw Duce Bigalow: European Gigalo last Friday, i cracked me up in places but wasnt as great as the first film. Still, an hour and a half well spent.

Loved the first Duce but heard very bad things about the second one.

Still need to get round to watching The Machinist.

I've seen the pics and he looks fucking grim!

Anyone heard anything about that russian film thats on FilmFour this week called Nightwatch looks pretty good kinda strange heres what imdb had to say.

Nochnoy Dozor

Among normal humans live the "Others" possessing various supernatural powers. They are divided up into the forces of light and the forces of the dark, who signed a truce several centuries ago to end a devastating battle. Ever since, the forces of light govern the day while the night belongs to their dark opponents. In modern day Moscow the dark Others actually roam the night as vampires while a "Night Watch" of light forces, among them Anton, the movie's protagonist, try to control them and limit their outrage.

Isn't it part of a trilogy of sorts, I've not seen it but I've heard good things so I'll give it a watch. Chuck & Buck was on last night too, a bit of an odd little film but worth a watch if they stick it on at a decent time

Wow, what a bump.

Bought some DVD's for the first time in ages in Tesco as they were selling them for as low as £2.50 so I just had to.

Dark Crystal - £2.84

A class (but scary) film from my childhood. Got in on VHS but my video player hasn't been set up for aaaaages. One of Henson's best.

Capote - £4.96

Heard loads about it but never seen it.

An Inconvenient Truth - £4.96

Again, heard loads but not seen it.

There were loads of decent ones there. I was tempted by Kiss Kiss Bang Bang as I've heard it's good.

Hendo wrote:

There were loads of decent ones there. I was tempted by Kiss Kiss Bang Bang as I've heard it's good.

Its quite good ... Worth a fiver

Hendo wrote:

An Inconvenient Truth - £4.96

Again, heard loads but not seen it.

I actually found that film to be quite frightening it all makes sense and is truely scary.

I watched Nacho Libre again over the weekend, i enjoyed it more the second time round as i do most comedy's. This is a Jared Hess film, he of Napoleon Dynamite fame and its stars Jack Black so to be fair I was always going to like it.

Even tho its about Luchadore Pro Wrestling it has a very similar feel to Napoleon in the way its directed. Everyshot is like a set piece, with plenty of fast zoom on the details. Its very subtle too, almost silent in places but somehow still managing to be hilarious. The bit where Jack Black just screams "Nachooooooooooo" cracks me up, its almost pointless but you can tell the character thinks he's really cool. Great film.

Nacho Libre was also there for about 4 quid and I was tempted as I love Napolean Dynamite, but I heard it was pretty dispapointing.

I like Jack Black but only in small doses.

Has anyone seen 300 yet because if you havent then go people its a brilliant film and far better than the gayfests that were Alexander and Troy.

Its done in a similar style to Sin City i think they are both based off the same artists grphic novels and although its based on a historic battle at Thermopylae i dont reckon all the Spartans had Scottish accents.

Yeah, I liked 300. It sort of feels like you've joined the film 10 minutes in, but its probably better for it

Watched Secretary last night, it's really odd and quirky, but also really sinister. kind of like if David Lynch directed Amelie. Worth watching but it's not the best film ever.

Just watched the new Turtles film however, and damn is it good! It follows on from the new cartoon series (well about a series ago anyway) so if you havent seen that it might not be what you're expecting. My only criticism of it is that while it's good that they go into all the relationships and personalities, it maybe doesnt go far enough to make up for the slight lack of action

Im sat watching the remake of The Fog, and it's utter arse. It's basically the 1980s (or 70's I forget) film, but with hotter women and added stupidity. It's on Sky all week, so remember to avoid it

Yeah i loved the fog and the remake is just 20years later and the actors 20 years younger plus i hate that cunt from Smallville.

I finally got round to watching An Inconvenient Truth and I thought it was ok, I was expecting some things that I didn't already know to be honest, and I started losing interest towards the end - otherwise a good film/documentary.

Last night I found another bargain in Tesco - Police Academy for £2.84.

Had to take it! An absolute classic - shame they decided to carry on making them.

I finally forced watched Episode 3 last night. Shite. The fight between Anikin and Obi Wan (won?) is pretty good though, and the political story is probably alright, except its everyone else in the entire universe bar 2 people cant see through it. I also think that all the new films have used far too much cgi, and none of it is particularly convincing

SPOILER

The thing that really annoyed me about the film, and all the prequels really, is that they all fucking know each other. C3PO and R2D2 know each other, but in Ep4 they act like they only know each other from the ship. Yoda knows Chewbacca, but Chewy never mentions anything to Luke when he says he's going to see Yoda. And Obi Wan and Yoda were there when Luke and Leyla were born, but again neither bother to mention it. Oh, and dieing of a broken heart? Fuck off

Anakin must also be an idiot, and not wise as the film says, to no see through the emperor until he's explicitly told, and then he just falls in line.

Sorry if they seem like stupid things to complain about, but its just that while i was watching it, I couldnt shake the feeling that i was watching a childrens film, that was desperately trying to attatch itself to an adult market anyway it could.

I almost turned it off halfway through. Im glad i didnt just for the fight(s) at the end, but I'm also glad I've seen it, so i never have to sit through another star wars film again

So, you were perfectly fine with the "NOOOOOOOOOO!" then? :P

That bit made me laugh out loud.

C3PO had his memory wiped at the end so he wouldn't have remembered owt, but R2D2 was always a smug bastard so he probably just wants to have that "I know something you don't" air about him for the others.

As for Chewie and Yoda and that, I can't answer that.

I agree on the CGI, even Sam Jackson (who's normally believable at very worst) can't act to save his life on the Star Wars films, mostly it seems due to the ammount of blue screen all the actors have to deal with.

I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as the first prequel though. Jar Jar Binks? He's got nothing on that annoying kid......."Yipee!"

Bang!

The NNNNNooooooooooo wasn't all I'd hoped, I think it had been built up too much. :laugh: but yeah it was part of the list of things that mutter to myself while I was watching it. Didnt realise 3p0 had his memory wiped, that must have been right at the end, so i would have been muttering about the death.

The saving grace was the lack of jar jar, and young anakin makes the old one look like a decent character, so it can never be overstated as to how shit he was.

This might be controversial, but Yoda gets on my tits. Every fucking sentance has an error in the sentance structure. Sorry i mean "Error in the sentance structure it has". He also has an uncanny knack of stating the blindingly obvious aswell.

It's not game sthat make people angry, it's George Lucas!