Urahara

Films

6 minutes ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

That's all kinds of wrong @DANGERMAN, and the sequel was announced last may. I haven't watched it yet because Reynolds comedy became old fast and he risks never been cast in any serious film ever again.

you're right. It went to VOD really quickly but it did get a cinema release in the states. For some reason I'd got it in my head that it hadn't there but it had done so well they released it here. From googling, I can't find the dates that it went online, but it looks like the cause was because it did go straight to Netflix in Japan, which got ripped and leaked to the net, so the rest of it got hurried along. 

It definitely felt cheap though, cheap looking locations, weirdly cut, not a lot of money spent on action scenes. I could be wrong and it had a huge budget, but it looked really cheap

Alita: Battle Angel

Ok, I'll preface this by saying I've never heard of this series before. Had no idea it was a Manga series prior either (which immediately answered my question as to why her face looks like that). This was a strange film. The fights looked nice and the world looks pretty cool too. Although I didn't entirely understand the "game" being played. There is something about it however, that makes me not want to sing its praises though. Something was amiss. Christopher Waltz was great and most of the cast were strong, other than Jennifer Connolly, who I thought was wooden as a board. I thought they were going to go into several different directions than the film eventually did. There were moments of set-up that were seemingly discarded and so served no real point. I imagine these points are picked up on in subsequent volumes of the original Manga. In a solo film however, they just wasted time. 6/10

Oh and @wiivo 2.0 One of the trailers was for Captive State. I am intrigued!

As well you should be. You might not like it but I only wish to persuade people to watch a variety of films and not only those that spend the most on advertising. Although I respectfully accept the cost of a cinema ticket can be daunting and a safe purchase be the obvious choice. 

Aladdin does looks oddly fun now. Like the fun adventure movies you’d get in the 80s but mixed with mama mia cheese balls. 

I don't think so.

(A) Jafar shouldn't be Young

(B) FFS Disney can you not even keep actors in character in one of your own damn adaptations? Genie is Blue, Will Smith is not. But guess who is supposed to be playing who? 🙄

to be fair, Robin Williams basically played a Robin Williams character. I doubt the original genie was written like that. Robin Williams is dead, so whoever you're getting you're getting to play the role their way

and this is already too much thought than Aladdin deserves 😅

I'm not talking about Will Smith, per say. This is just continuing the trend Disney has with the Marvel Movies about not keeping the masks on.

Yeah, it's live action though and he's playing a humanoid character. I get the point about the masks, it's funny when you notice it, but it's so obvious why it's done I really wouldn't let it bother me 

So what would be the problem in keeping him blue? Yeah while it is obvious why it's done, the problem is that every single "masked hero/vigilante" movie before the MCU didn't have an issue with it. You watch a fantasy based film for the roles/characters being played, not the actors who play them. Prime example, What's-her-name playing Mystique. In the last two X-Men films, she wasn't "in costume" for about 90% of her appearances. Meanwhile the original Mystique actress, who had a lot more make up to put on, still did it - full body - for three consecutive films, never breaking character.

Yeah I don’t have a problem with Genie looking like Will Smith when he’s out in public. There were a couple scenes in the original where he was a white dude in clothes so him having a human form fits with the character completely.

I also don’t care about heroes being unmasked in the movies. 

They have their masks on during the action scenes and take them off when they’re stood around talking, like they would if they were real, so it works for live action.

I think the mask thing is also to make it a damn sight easier for the greater audience to know who's actually doing the talking... It's one of my (many) problems with the live TF films, the characters rarely (if ever) spoke while in vehicle mode.

48 minutes ago, RikSP said:

They have their masks on during the action scenes and take them off when they’re stood around talking, like they would if they were real, so it works for live action.

That's kind of the whole point of alter-egos. Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker etc It's not like the source material doesn't have these caveats in place already. But when they are in costume IE Spider-Boy in Infinity War, taking the mask off every five seconds seems counter-intuitive to having a costume in the first place...

12 minutes ago, Nag said:

I think the mask thing is also to make it a damn sight easier for the greater audience to know who's actually doing the talking... 

I forgot how much of an issue that was in Burton's Batman films or Hellboy...😜

16 minutes ago, Blakey said:

You can barely hear Bane in Dark Knight Rises.

21922-1-gridbox-freenhshearingaids-420x3

😉

To be fair @OCH they had to remaster  Banes voice for the Blu Ray release as far as I'm aware... And it's still pure bass when he speaks.

It has been years since I've seen the Nolan Batman films, to be honest. When I do feel like watching a Batman film, I tend to gravitate towards the two Burton films. I do recall however, I could understand Bane's voice perfectly at the cinema though. Hardy did a film prior(or at the same time, I forget) called "Warrior". He uses the same voice at certain points. It is quite amusing to listen to, without the mask.

I also watched Vox Lux last night.  Natalie Portman is a veteran popstar since she was a teen, first kicked off by a song she wrote after surviving a high school massacre.  It's bleak stuff and just really a character piece  and commantary on the sociopathy and graft of the music industry.  It's pretty insightful, I thought. 

I watched Venom on a plane. This movie was weird, felt like a prank played on Spiderman fans or something. It was like Always Sunny meets The Darkness, or what if Charlie Day entered a pact with Satan and they went on dumb buddy cop adventures together. So the perfect film to watch on a flight.

Enjoyed Captain Marvel at Cineworld today.

Picked up a leaflet about films out this year and surprised just how many remakes & sequels are due out:

Dumbo, Aladdin, Lion King, The Grudge, Charlie's Angels, Masters of the Universe, Hellboy, Avengers: End Game, Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, Men in Black, How to Train Your Dragon, Secret Life of Pets 2, John Wick 3, Kingsman 3, Godzilla, Dark Phoenix (X-Men), Annabel 3, IT pt 2, Terminator 6, Kingsman 3, Jurmanji 2, Star Wars episode IX etc.

I know it makes me boring but if there’s not a cape or light sabre in it I just can’t honestly care