Urahara

Films

18 minutes ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

Spielberg is disrespectful and can fuck right off the twat.

I guess he's just part of the old school wanting things left alone, as they were - whereas Netflix comes alongwith its own funding modelling and distribution network etc - which isn't how films were suppose to be made at all.... 

I decided to watch Mortal Engines.  It was alright.  Kinda shallow and some questionable stuff with the tone but overall I had a decent time.  Got some Wachowski vibes from it. 

I watched Aquaman last night. I seen some positive scores for it but I'm not sure why. It's not relentlessly terrible but it's not great, they tried packing too much in, the one-liners are out of place and not funny, and it made me feel bad for Nite Owl. It's a mess too, a lot of the DC films have this problem, it feels like someone has uploaded an abridged version up on youtube, things bounce around too much, move too fast, plot is just glossed over. It felt like the 3rd film in a series when it's arguably the first. It needed to be smaller scale

It also just raised questions about Atlantis, questions I can't stress enough I really don't want an answer to. People commute, they use machines, so they must have factories and jobs? How does that society sustain, it makes no sense. 

Captain Marvel

Wasn’t expecting much but it really surprised me. 

The story was fun with a couple of nice twists. The Skrulls were fantastic, and Ben Mendelson absolutely stoke the show as Talos. Seeing a bright eyed Nick Fury was fun, but one the things that happens I him was unnecessary and really stupid. Like if there was a Top Ten Dumbest Things That Happened in a Marvel Movie list this would have a top spot.

90’s setting was a lot of fun, and the soundtrack especially gets a high score from me. Lots of nostalgia for the ears.

Lots of Easter eggs and important links to the other movies that mostly work really well, but a couple are a bit on the nose.

Its not the best MCU movie, but it’s one of the good ones for sure. 

So, is Brie Larson not the antichrist the internet was making her out to be?

I honestly don’t care about any of that. The film is good, simple.

After giving it a miss for a couple of months (I think I last saw Bumblebee, in December) I decided to get some use out of the Limitless membership again. Captain Marvel on Monday, Atila: Battle Angel on Wednesday. Then, nothing else is really on til April, apparently??

11 hours ago, OCH said:

After giving it a miss for a couple of months (I think I last saw Bumblebee, in December) I decided to get some use out of the Limitless membership again. Captain Marvel on Monday, Atila: Battle Angel on Wednesday. Then, nothing else is really on til April, apparently??

US, Border, At Eternities Gate and Captive State all apologise for not having a budget of over £100m but should also be considered as options. 

To be a bit more helpful, US is the new one from Jordan Peel, the guy who made Get Out it's supposed to be good 

On 09/03/2019 at 07:40, wiivo 2.0 said:

US, Border, At Eternities Gate and Captive State all apologise for not having a budget of over £100m but should also be considered as options. 

😂

Actually I was referring to ODEON's selection itself. When I was buying my online tickets, these were the only two "new" films they were advertising prior to April. I will give those trailers a watch when I have some time.

Meanwhile...

Captain Marvel

I don't like to put spoilers in reviews. It was alright. Visually, this is the most on point Marvel film since Hulk in 2003 IE This is Comic Books onscreen. Likewise the humour is a lot less derpy than GoTG 2 and Thor Ragnarok, which was a plus. They do once again criminally screw over someone, which happens to at least one character in every MCU film I've seen, so that's just par for the course and not even a complaint anymore. Merely a statement of fact. The Kree are handled a LOT better than in GoTG. They are in fact an actual race now and not just generic aliens. Not entirely pleased with how the Skrulls are handled, although they do look great. Jude Law was good, which did surprise me. The lead character is a little bland, again which does follow in the footsteps of Black Panther and a handful of the other latter Phase leads. She doesn't quite have the same charisma as what's-her-name did in Wonder Woman (I'm writing this immediately after seeing the film, so I don't really care for the tertiary details I forget) but the part is played well enough. 7/10

Do you think it intentional that the Shazam trailer was played prior to the film??😄

As an aside, they did show the Dumbo trailer prior to Captain Marvel (Disney, obviously) and although it has probably been about 25+ years since I saw the original, it does look like a completely different film.

That Aladdin better is worlds better than the teasers they put out, they really should have led with it. 

Also The Hitman's Bodyguard has a sequel...

5 hours ago, RikSP said:

Also The Hitman's Bodyguard has a sequel...

The first one is all over the shop. It's like they realised that a Ryan Reynolds was Deadpool half way through shooting and tried to make it funny. The oddest part is they talk about being in Coventry when it's clearly London.

I think I'm right in saying it had a small budget and wasn't intended to have a cinema release, I'm not even sure it did in America, it might have gone straight to Netflix. Reynolds success changed it late on 

I thought it was ok but it felt cheaply done 

That's all kinds of wrong @DANGERMAN, and the sequel was announced last may. I haven't watched it yet because Reynolds comedy became old fast and he risks never been cast in any serious film ever again.