Urahara

Films

I watched The House That Jack Built. It was ok. The ending was unsatisfactory but for a super long film it didn’t feel like it ever became boring or out stayed it’s welcome. 

tumblr_pjqrwuYvS31xwgfr6o2_400.gif

I also watched Overlord last night.  I think I enjoyed it more than Ben as I thought it was a hoot.  It is small scale but it's just a really well polished and performed B-movie.  

I also saw Velvet Buzzsaw recently.  I think I enjoyed it.  It's basically one of those films that plays with your expectations a lot.  It looks like it's gonna be a horror film but it is more of a dark comedy, though I wish it went sillier with the deaths.  I think I like it more after thinking about it but I spent the run time a little unsure.

I started watching Bohemian rhapsody last night. I'm really enjoying it, apperently it has no resemblance on actual events though.

I watched Velvet Buzzsaw and really enjoyed it. Everyone plays their character at just the right side  of parody without ever becoming a blatant caricature, and the premise is just silly enough to be entertaining. I definitely enjoyed the character interactions the most, and would have enjoyed it as a flamboyant American Psychoesque movie if the supernatural elements had been removed. 

Call it a "hot take", but I find something soulless about these Disney live action remakes. With the exception of Will Smith Genie it's got this sheen of an overcautious replica about it.

Oh god, here we go again. 🙄

Looks amazing to me, all the sniggering from folks over Will Smith’s genie get up can now button it as well 😘

I’ll be there just for the music really. I’m sure the film will be great too, all these Disney live action remakes have got great reviews and word of mouth.

I think I would like to just see more risks taken with stuff like this.

Like when Capcom did RE2, kept the old formula but completely changed everything else about how the game works. Closest I can see to something daring in that trailer is Will Smith doing a Will Smith Genie and not trying to channel Robin Williams.

But when it's so carefully trying to rethread the path taken by the original (and getting bits sort of weirdly wrong like not-menacing Jafar) it feels redundant. Just a copy. Well it's not for me I suppose.

54 minutes ago, Blakey said:

Looks amazing to me

giphy.gif

😂😂

1 hour ago, Blakey said:

Oh god, here we go again. 🙄

Looks amazing to me

1252000.gif?b64lines=QW5kIHlvdSwgc2lyLAp

😄

2 hours ago, Blakey said:

all the sniggering from folks over Will Smith’s genie get up can now button it as well 

Erm, what? The genie looks terrible. It's good they haven't tried to recreate the Robin Williams performance, and that's the only good thing I can say. It reminded me of when they copy pasted the rocks head on to that Scorpion at the end of The Mummy 2.

16 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

It reminded me of when they copy pasted the rocks head on to that Scorpion at the end of The Mummy 2.

Lt+this+is+the+best+joker+_4a6ca96067b91

See you all after release when everyone’s ‘pleasantly surprised’ by it and I’m just like ‘told ya so’ ;)

Given how stilted Jafar was from the trailer alone, I doubt that very much...

Seeing as you have a deep rooted disdain for everything Disney does @OCH I’ve no doubt you’ll dislike it no matter what 😂

Disney’s record with these remakes speaks for themselves. They’re pretty much as sure a thing as you can get. 

4 minutes ago, Blakey said:

Seeing as you have a deep rooted disdain for everything Disney does @OCH I’ve no doubt you’ll dislike it no matter what 😂

That is as fanciful now as it was the last time you brought it up, Blakey 🙄. As @one-armed dwarf said, these Live Action remakes are just soulless. I'm a realist, I don't waste my time trying to find the positive in everything.

I'd reserve judgement till we see more of it, or it comes out, but that teaser looks terrible.