Urahara

Films

3 hours ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

The difference between critical reviews of water fella and Joe Publics is large.

The same disparity that arose with Venom. Both are fun films, Full Stop. Neither tries to be more than that. Sometimes when a film aims at being entertaining, that resonates with people in general. 

Says the guy who bashed every Marvel film ever for being too broad 😮

1 minute ago, Maf said:

Says the guy who bashed every Marvel film ever for being too broad 😮

Misquoted again. 😄

Firstly, I don't "bash" any film. That's fanboy shite, which is beneath me.

Second, my contention came from the source material being Dumbed Down so that every MCU film was made to fit the Marvel Formula and thus make the most money from general audiences. Which they never needed to, as The Dark Knight and even Sin City 1 clearly showed. Aquaman is an Aquaman Movie, same scenario for Venom. The films are made around the characters. As opposed to some prior MCU films that had a generic script, in which any comic book characters could be shoehorned into. In recent times, Marvel have gotten better at shaking things up though.

Watched, a couple more movies at home and three more on the way to Japan. At home I watched Carol and Sing Street. Carol I didn’t like, it’s not my kind of movie and i found almost nothing redeeming in the direction. It’s the first film I’ve seen by Todd Haynes. Sing Street was great, it’s an Irish coming of age/musical/comedy/drama and it will probably be my go to recommended Irish film from now on.

On the way over I watched Mirai of the Future (again), Three Identical Strangers and Everybody Wants Some. I wasn’t quite as taken with Mirai of the Future as I was when I saw it in the cinema, but still it’s a lovely film. Three Identical Strangers is an interesting film about three real triplets who were separated at birth and discovered each other when they were 19. It can drag a little bit it’s a fascinating story. Everybody Wants Some is another film by Richard Linklater, maybe not as good as his best films (and probably a rung below Dazed and Confused which it most closely resembles), but still very enjoyable to watch.

I watched bird box on Netflix and enjoyed it, really good story telling film, although I guessed the ending as it was a little obvious, got a sequel coming but not sure how that would work.

I’m half way through bird box. Started it last night. I’m surprised bugger all people make The Happening comparisons. It’s more like that than quiet place ffs. Except Happening suicides are comedy. 

Also I watched Alien Covanent and enjoyed it more at home with others than at the cinema. Seemed less slow and boring. So um, 7/10

Also the next one sounds so boring. Focusing less on the Alien and more on the AI!?!? Oh Ridley..

I watched Bird Box too. It was ok I guess, it honestly lost me a little... 

Spoiler

with all the amazingly accurate blind wandering around. Especially the driving bullshit to the supermarket. That and it was overly sentimental. 

But a cool idea.

What I did really like though was The Shape of Water. It was well told and fairly positive if a little predictable. Some great performances in there too.

I watched Roma on Netflix a little while ago. I went in expecting arthouse tedium... which is sort of what it is. But got sort of taken in by its spell and it reminded me a lot of the Florida Project which was my favourite film the year it came out.

But having got a bit of distance from it I kind of feel it was kind of an empty film for some reason. I think what took me into it was Cuaron's excellent camera work (if you've seen Children of Men then it's exactly like that). It's a brilliantly shot but sort of surface level snapshot of indigenous workers during 70s Mexico City (so not very many explosions but there are a few during one particular scene)

It won't win any awards anyway because it's too taboo for critics to give accolades to a Netflix film. But definitely feels like Netflix are trying to raise their own cache a bit out of where it is now (dustbin for films that wouldn't do well in the cinema).

It's picked up a few awards and lots of critics' choices. However Cannes wouldn't consider it because they said it hadn't had a proper cinema release.

Cuaron subsequently did a bit of a whinge about it not getting a wider cinema run (and more people not getting to see it) but he chose to partner with Netflix knowing that's a consequence. And fair play to Netflix in taking the risk and choosing to produce something a bit arthouse. 

It's on my list of things to watch 

It’s funny how Bendis is getting so much credit for Spiderverse when it isn’t he’s idea, really. Yes he created Miles and Miles is the main character. But it was Dan Slott that wrote the original Spiderverse story and he is not getting tagged at all

Fair enough the stories have basically nothing to do with each other. But then I bet this film doesn’t resemble Bendis’s comics about Miles, either.

At the end of the day it’s whatever but feel like someone should point it out 

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (Netflix)

Decent horror film which came out a couple of years ago, probably best not to say too much, but a great performance from Brian Cox as he tries to discover the cause of death of the mystery woman.

Watched The Old Man and the Gun. Wonderful film with a great performance from Redford. I think this is supposed to be his last movie ☹️ At least he didn’t end it with Marvel. 

26 minutes ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

Watched The Old Man and the Gun. Wonderful film with a great performance from Redford. I think this is supposed to be his last movie ☹️ At least he didn’t end it with Marvel. 

Agreed. An actor of his pedigree that would have been a disappointment to go out like that.

Just finished watching Bad Times at the El Royale, it's a brilliant film. It's not a million miles away from a Coen Brothers film or the guy that did Seven Psychopaths, only without the weird humour. Its a bunch of people who end up at the same remote hotel all with their own stories. 

I expected it to be wackier than it is based on a trailer I saw, really good cast, good soundtrack recommended 

6 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

Just finished watching Bad Times at the El Royale, it's a brilliant film. It's not a million miles away from a Coen Brothers film or the guy that did Seven Psychopaths, only without the weird humour. Its a bunch of people who end up at the same remote hotel all with their own stories. 

I expected it to be wackier than it is based on a trailer I saw, really good cast, good soundtrack recommended 

Isn't this the guy that made cabin fever or something? I remember hearing a review and wanting to see it.

EDIT

my mistake, it was cabin in the woods.

So what are we all looking forward to this year, film-wise? Just Godzilla for me, off the top of my head.

Captain Marvel, Endgame and Godzilla spring to mind...