Sign in to follow this  
DANGERMAN

Demo Thread

Wow, this thread is underused.

Ive been playing the Mega Man 11 demo on the Switch.

Problem is it’s pretty hard, even on Casual so it’s tough to feel positive about it due to it being frustrating.

Enemies appear of screen when you jump so you end up hitting them and it has that thing where you freeze when you get hit so your at the mercy of the game for a second or two. This is particularly frustrating in a room near the end of the first stage with falling blocks and escalators going in different direction. Then they added slow moving enemies in to that mix as well.

I lost all five lives before I got to the boss first try, second try I died twice (once really stupidly) then got lost all my lives on the boss. He’s massive and his attacks feel like they hit everywhere.

Last moan is about jumping. More specifically in tight spaces. I feel like I was hitting my head on the very last pixels of the platform above and it’s annoying.

Looks nice, plays like Mega Man, unremarkable music.

I want to play some more actually but I recognise this feeling from Sonic Mania, I just want to show that game who’s fucking boss. I think ultimately though Mega Man 11 is just gonna wind me up and I’m not paying £25 for that.

Played the Resident Evil 2 demo, I ran out of time on it. You only get 30 minutes then it cuts off, it cut off as I entered a room so it might be that it was going to load something and that's what cut it off. You could get a lot further 2nd time through, which I'm going to do on PC, I'm not a big fan of the shooting on a controller, I think it needs a little more auto-aim because it very easy to miss even quite close in. That might well be deliberate, the zombies do twitch a bit, not as much as the ganados of 4 (however that was spelt), but enough that they aren't just walking towards you letting you headshot them (headshots are as inconsistent as they were in 4 though). There's also more bullets laying around than I expected given the more old-fashioned approach, not much health though.

Straight away they've mixed up the police station a bit, which is pretty cool, but it really does look like the old police station, they've done a really good job with it. I took a lot of damage early on, wasn't expecting an attack and couldn't work out where it was coming from. From that I tried running through, that didn't work, it was just triggering animations of me getting bitten, which is where my criticism of the combat comes from really, it's not great when you're surrounded, easy when it's one on one though. My advice is just to use you ammo, there's a decent amount around and you aren't going to be facing too much else in 30 minutes.

Knives are limited use, I think it was 5 that did that, they were used as a counter, but it means I don't want to use it as a weapon. Also new are boards, you can patch up windows for extra security, no idea if there's only one in the entire game and I've used it already or if there's going to be a few, as zombies breaking through windows seems to be a bit of a thing

The other thing I'll say, playing on the PS4 Pro, things would sometimes go really blurry. I'm not Digital Foundry but I think it's down to the AA rather than the resolution, it'll be things like people's faces. It's only a demo though, one that was probably made months ago and only given to the public now, so that's probably fixed

I wrote a bit in the RE2 thread but speaking as someone who's been cynical on this remake I think they've pretty much nailed it here. As a statement of intent for what they're doing it's really solid. I wasn't fully sure I was going to buy this or KHIII but the decision is made for me now.

It's got the opression and the feeling of powerlessness and claustrophobia. It's got multiple paths you can take and a general feeling that you aren't just been led along (there are some scripted moments but not like RE6). It's feeling like it's continuing the good work of REVII and correcting the course for this series which is making games like they used to make on PS1 but with a modern twist.

It's easy to see why they did the 30 main thing I think. Trying to create that trade show hype but around a downloadable demo. I reckon it paid off.

My main issues are that the dark scenes look like grey fog. Not very scary. Leon talks too much, reminds me of Deadly Premonition a little bit.

Also no music outside of some ambient stuff. No safe room music. Bummer. Apparently you can get the old soundtrack as part of the digital deluxe edition. Sneaky Capcom. They did the same with DMC 😠

I also wonder if it's maybe too violent? Maybe I'm just too old or a bit Mary Whitehouse but that scene with the jaw and the sinew got into too real territory a little bit for me 🤢

I did get a bit of music in a safe room, the one with the dark room, it was after I opened the storage box to put something in, so it might be just missing from the demo, or they feel like it doesn't fit the tone. 

I'm with you on the violence in a different way. I shot a zombie in the head a couple of times, it kept getting up, I'd put it down, then on the 3rd shot its heard exploded in red gore and yellow stuff, it looked cartoony by comparison to the rest of the game. I think if this was the first game in a series it wouldn't look like that, but since RE4 they've had that in, it's out of place a bit here.

I still don't know if I'm going to get this on release, I think if it was more like 4 I would, but it did remind me of what I didn't like about the old Resident Evil games, and why I still haven't got to 7, I want more of an action game than a survival horror, which isn't a knock at RE, just different tastes

Well I'm happy as fucking Larry with this, the gunplay and the gore technology is a brilliant marriage... Scoring a headshot feels earned and you can feel yourself starting to panic once you miss a couple and the zombies start to get a little bit too close.

In regards to the HDR issues I'm not too sure if that's an actual design choice with the murky corridors, if you go outside of the station the game can do black... I dunno, sometimes HDR can be a double edged sword.

In any case, this has pretty much made my weekend... It looks to be a great balance between the puzzle based gameplay of the original game and the faster gunplay of the later ones. Perfect.

I played the PC version, it defaults to maximum settings, which uses 14gb of vram (I've got 8). I've got my tv connected to my PC and it wanted to run the game at 4k, so I dropped that down, dropped the framerate to 60, dropped the texture quality down from whatever stupid level it was set to. It runs well, nice and smooth and it looks better than the Pro version.

I was playing with mouse and keyboard, the reticle isn't precise enough for you to be headshotting everything, but it does aim better. I'm not sure if it's connected, but I found that killing the zombies with headshots became super rare, in fact zombies seemed to not stay dead when I returned to rooms. It might just be a coincidence, or it might be an extra level of difficulty to counteract the increased accuracy. Also you can't reload from the inventory?

also there's a first aid spray in the ladies bathroom on the way to where the officer is shouting you from

I've played it on X and Pro now, first time through when you first get attacked I dropped the zombie and he stayed down... Second time I thought I'd done the same but while I was dealing with the one that comes through the window I heard a groan behind me and the fucker was back on his feet... I like that kind've uncertainty.

It has made me wonder how the game starts now though... Leon should've gone through the streets and seen all this before even hitting the police station, why's it such a surprise in there?