passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Demo Thread

DANGERMAN

Maybe delete this if it's a bad idea, but I figured it was better than a thread for every demo that comes along.

I've had a few goes of the new Sega Rally demo, and I really enjoyed it. I'm not a racing fan, so where it's likely to sit in the pecking order of racers is not for me to say

A friend of mine was told it looks a bit crappy graphically, but it looks fine to my Wii eyes, nice and colourful the way an arcade style game should be.

The road affects seem to work pretty well, but it does show how all over the place i am :( Oddly, I liek that there's only 2 tracks and 2 cars, it'll make me learn them in a way I never really did in Sega Rally 2 and 2006, but did on the first game

Theres gonna be more cars than that though, I posted my thoughts on it on bitparade, but I'll quote and link them here:

linky linky

First off, if you like either of the SEGA Rally’s, then you’ll at least get some enjoyment out of this, its got your staple SEGA Rally stuff:

Big stupid slides

Jumps

Crowd being far too close to the circuit taking photos

and last but not least, but sort of innappropriate considering the demise of Colin McRae and how he died… Low Flying Helicopters.

Right, onto the rest of the game, The car’s don’t quite look like their on the circuit if you get my meaning, they don’t quite look placed right, the rear view mirror feels squashed and the handlings incredibly light.

Now that last point is only a criticsm for a fair while, its a problem for the first race you have on the demo, at least it was for me. But you soon get the hang of it and start throwing either the Impreza or Lancer Evo into corners just like the game seems to want you to, which even to this day, some 12 years after the original games release, is still incredibly good fun.

The whole circuit grooving adds to the gameplay in a way I wouldn’t of thought of, I’m not sure how to explain it, but I tend to try and hang back behind a lead car while he chews up the circuit for the first lap, then use his grooves to help me slide the car round the corners for the remainder of the race. Kind of how in road races (circuit races I mean, like Formula One or whatever) theres a “Clean” side of the circuit that has rubber down from previous races that helps cars grip better, and a dirty side where they have less traction. Simply put, I found the game easier to handle by sticking to the smooth parts of a circuit (but not too far off of the racing line) on straights then using the chewed up parts to corner, this more or less nullified any sort of handling issues, although I’ve not perfected any technique yet as I’ve only given the first circuit 3 runs round (not even touched the second circuit on the demo yet).

To be honest, a handful of games aside, I’d begun to lose faith in SEGA in-house titles, and while this hasn’t restored my faith in them (being a former SEGA fanboy) it was highly enjoyable, if flawed, but is definetly on my “To Buy List” albeit its not at the top of that list.

RivaOni wrote:

Theres gonna be more cars than that though

I know, it's just something that's never really clicked with me on the SR sequels. It should add to the longevity, but instead it sort of swamps me. I'm the same with the Tony Hawks games, when you just get a 1 level demo I love it because I really get to know it, but the full games have never really grabbed me because there's more to them.

The 3 cars max is why I've always prefered the original SEGA Rally over the original to be honest. That and the handling felt better than in the sequel, it was easier to guide the car around the corner while in a slide, this seems to mix the balance between the two judging by whats on offer.

Heres hoping they put the original Desert course in there like they did with SEGA Rally 2

I found the controls to be really fucking slippy.

Everything I've read from various places suggests I need a couple more races (only did each track through twice) and it should all click, but I was shockingly bad and rarely even got past 5th position!

A shame if I can't get into it as it was on the top of my to-buy list, but unless it all clicks it's somewhere near the bottom.

At least the wallet would be happy, I suppose.

Highest I've got from 3 races was second, but I've always been able to pick up racers easily, its fairly challenging though which is something I like, but not in the way Forza is where its fucking about with your car for two hours to get it to perform how you like it, its the perfect ying to Forzas yang for me.

I got a chance to play the Call of Duty 4 online beta at a mates house yesterday, and phuck me its brilliant!!

More CoD2 than 3, and set in modern times, its like Battlefield 2, but without the vehicle whoring. There are no vehicles that you can jump into as such, but you get rewards for kill streaks, e.g. A 3 kill streak earns you a UAV, 5 gets you an air strike, and 8 (or so) gets you a helicopter that flies around getting kills for you!

Really looking forward to this as well as so many other games now... Im hoping for some slippage as there are so many great games comin out in november... :P

Edit:

Apparently you can still get hold of the beta codes so you can accerss the demo from somewhere... i thought my mate said it was Gamespot but ive just looked and there's no hint of it there...

Shin_Seffron wrote:

I got a chance to play the Call of Duty 4 online beta at a mates house yesterday, and phuck me its brilliant!!

More CoD2 than 3, and set in modern times, its like Battlefield 2, but without the vehicle whoring. There are no vehicles that you can jump into as such, but you get rewards for kill streaks, e.g. A 3 kill streak earns you a UAV, 5 gets you an air strike, and 8 (or so) gets you a helicopter that flies around getting kills for you!

Really looking forward to this as well as so many other games now... Im hoping for some slippage as there are so many great games comin out in november... :P

Edit:

Apparently you can still get hold of the beta codes so you can accerss the demo from somewhere... i thought my mate said it was Gamespot but ive just looked and there's no hint of it there...

charlieoscardelta.com

you can sign up here but i think it might be full noow

I must be the only person left who's only bothered about single player campaigns or co-op modes in these kind of games.

I bought Stranglehold the other day, probably never gonna touch the multi. Same for CoD4, and will be hammering the single player stuff in the Orange Box rather than have my ass handed to me in Team Fortress 2.

Speaking of which, I'm tempted by Medal of Honor : Airborne as the demo is pretty good.

Phew, managed to steer it back on topic to demos.

Oh im definitly looking forward to playing the Call of Duty 4 Single player campaign, but all there's out to try the game is the multi player beta, and it bodes really well for the single player as generally the weakest parts of CoD games of yore has been the multi...

This one should surpass all others single player wise :)

RivaOni wrote:

I think theres also a demo up of NBA 2k8 today, anyone who knows anything about the NBA 2K games will know 2K6 is infamous with being able to get 1000 achievement points in about an hour :woohoo: :lol:

I really liked the NBA 2k games I've played, but they were at least 4 years ago. I'm not sure a demo would really suit this type of game, but at the same time, I'm really not likely to ever buy another basketball game. This is what demos should be for, but the type of game, and the effort i have to go through to download it is still putting me off :D

Pro Evo's up on marketplace, and damn it's good. Real good. I've only played a handful of games so far, and i've yet to try it in multi (assuming that works) but they seem to have sorted the shooting out, and I even scored a cheeky backheeler against France.

There's not many teams on it, and no England, but destroying people with Ronaldo, who is obscenely good on it, makes up for that

I had a go last night, playing as Spain against Portugal and wasn't too impressed to be honest. It felt just like all the other Pro Evos I've played (1-5), look a bit shabby when they did close ups on the players, and the wingers were absolutely useless. I think they should go back to releasing one every couple of years and make sure each game is damn near perfect rather than releasing one each year with minor style tweaks.

Its funny, FIFA gets criticised for doing exactly that, yet people lap up Pro Evo every single year for doing the same.