passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Demo Thread

DANGERMAN

The Syndicate demo did not impress me very much at all. It's just not Syndicate, however much they insist. They should have thought up a different name and noted Syndicate as an inspiration.

Kingdoms of Amalur was good but will wait for it to come down in price a bit.

Mass Effect 3, holy hell! wub.gif

Tried the Binary Domain demo, it's like they based the whole thing round the speech. Lame and it doesn't even work that well! Kept thinking i was saying "Fuck," when i was sitting there quietly.

Robots are annoying, once you get to the speedy crab walkers, you can't seem to hit them, when they hit you, swear you can't die either, if you can't heal yourself, one of your low morale team mates will inject you.

It be good then, yeah?.... loved the old SSX games on PS2 and don't know if i should get this.

Very good indeed. It's fast, looks great and the tricks are mental. With the inclusion of Ridernet (think Autolog) shoving friend's scores and times in your face all the time it's just far too addictive for it's own good.

Wasn't too sure about the whole right stick tricks thing they've got going on, but once I switched it to the buttons it was much more familar. Still need to try the classic controls though.

• 2 months later...

Really loved what I played, which was the tutorial basically. Works perfect on 360. I went to buy it and it did the -1 points cost thing, then that I needed 42003594395345903790 points to complete my purchase. So I lost all my progress, but will try to buy it again later and start it again. Not sure I should get it really though, it's so deep.

Where did you try and buy it from? I got it from within the game no problem. I got stuck in a notification loop of it asking for a save location despite me not even being in the game. I'm looking forward to putting some time into it.

I tried buying it in-game, then at the Dashboard. Then I deleted the game, redownloaded, and still can't buy it from the 360 itself. Not tried Xbox.com yet.

I gave the Spec Ops: The Line demo a try earlier too. It's quite a generous demo. It plays just like Gears of War, only it's in a military setting. I enjoyed it.

• 1 year later...

I played through the Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Dual Destinies demo earlier and it's not too bad.

They've done a really good job of capturing the look of the old games in polygonal form, characters still react the same way, and everything has been softened to get rid of the jagged edges that might ruin the effect. I haven't spent proper time with a Phoenix Wright game since the first but even then it feels like it sits in with the series.

The demo itself is seemingly not just the first case of the game proper, it's short, maybe a truncated version, giving you one go at each of the mechanics, interviewing a couple of witnesses, and introducing you to some of the core characters. Phoenix can still cross examine witnesses, getting them to elaborate on their statements before presenting evidence to contradict what they've said. The new mechanic this time comes from Phoenix's assistant Athena who has a computer program that can tell what a witness' real emotions are from their statements. If they are telling you something that should make them happy but the program picks up a hint of sadness or surprise then you can press the witness for more information. There's not a lot to it in the demo but it's easy to see how it could be more complicated later in the game.

There's no hunting for clues in the demo, it's all courtroom stuff, but it'll be back. It seems ok so far, but there's a reason I lost interest after the first so it depends how obtuse this gets as to whether I follow up on it. But it's only £20 and might be great to take back to my parents over christmas or something

• 3 weeks later...

That's out today. I'll be downloading it, I reckon.

Has anyone else played the LEGO Marvel Superheroes demo? I've played it twice now, it's awesome! Hulk, Iron Man and Spider-Man are playable in the demo. It's just good fun. Looked great on 360, but I'm tempted to pick it up for PS4 at some point. 40 quid at zavvi, still a bit much for me.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Wow, this thread is underused.

Ive been playing the Mega Man 11 demo on the Switch.

Problem is it’s pretty hard, even on Casual so it’s tough to feel positive about it due to it being frustrating.

Enemies appear of screen when you jump so you end up hitting them and it has that thing where you freeze when you get hit so your at the mercy of the game for a second or two. This is particularly frustrating in a room near the end of the first stage with falling blocks and escalators going in different direction. Then they added slow moving enemies in to that mix as well.

I lost all five lives before I got to the boss first try, second try I died twice (once really stupidly) then got lost all my lives on the boss. He’s massive and his attacks feel like they hit everywhere.

Last moan is about jumping. More specifically in tight spaces. I feel like I was hitting my head on the very last pixels of the platform above and it’s annoying.

Looks nice, plays like Mega Man, unremarkable music.

I want to play some more actually but I recognise this feeling from Sonic Mania, I just want to show that game who’s fucking boss. I think ultimately though Mega Man 11 is just gonna wind me up and I’m not paying £25 for that.

• 3 months later...

Played the Resident Evil 2 demo, I ran out of time on it. You only get 30 minutes then it cuts off, it cut off as I entered a room so it might be that it was going to load something and that's what cut it off. You could get a lot further 2nd time through, which I'm going to do on PC, I'm not a big fan of the shooting on a controller, I think it needs a little more auto-aim because it very easy to miss even quite close in. That might well be deliberate, the zombies do twitch a bit, not as much as the ganados of 4 (however that was spelt), but enough that they aren't just walking towards you letting you headshot them (headshots are as inconsistent as they were in 4 though). There's also more bullets laying around than I expected given the more old-fashioned approach, not much health though.

Straight away they've mixed up the police station a bit, which is pretty cool, but it really does look like the old police station, they've done a really good job with it. I took a lot of damage early on, wasn't expecting an attack and couldn't work out where it was coming from. From that I tried running through, that didn't work, it was just triggering animations of me getting bitten, which is where my criticism of the combat comes from really, it's not great when you're surrounded, easy when it's one on one though. My advice is just to use you ammo, there's a decent amount around and you aren't going to be facing too much else in 30 minutes.

Knives are limited use, I think it was 5 that did that, they were used as a counter, but it means I don't want to use it as a weapon. Also new are boards, you can patch up windows for extra security, no idea if there's only one in the entire game and I've used it already or if there's going to be a few, as zombies breaking through windows seems to be a bit of a thing

The other thing I'll say, playing on the PS4 Pro, things would sometimes go really blurry. I'm not Digital Foundry but I think it's down to the AA rather than the resolution, it'll be things like people's faces. It's only a demo though, one that was probably made months ago and only given to the public now, so that's probably fixed

I wrote a bit in the RE2 thread but speaking as someone who's been cynical on this remake I think they've pretty much nailed it here. As a statement of intent for what they're doing it's really solid. I wasn't fully sure I was going to buy this or KHIII but the decision is made for me now.

It's got the opression and the feeling of powerlessness and claustrophobia. It's got multiple paths you can take and a general feeling that you aren't just been led along (there are some scripted moments but not like RE6). It's feeling like it's continuing the good work of REVII and correcting the course for this series which is making games like they used to make on PS1 but with a modern twist.

It's easy to see why they did the 30 main thing I think. Trying to create that trade show hype but around a downloadable demo. I reckon it paid off.

My main issues are that the dark scenes look like grey fog. Not very scary. Leon talks too much, reminds me of Deadly Premonition a little bit.

Also no music outside of some ambient stuff. No safe room music. Bummer. Apparently you can get the old soundtrack as part of the digital deluxe edition. Sneaky Capcom. They did the same with DMC ?

I also wonder if it's maybe too violent? Maybe I'm just too old or a bit Mary Whitehouse but that scene with the jaw and the sinew got into too real territory a little bit for me ?

I did get a bit of music in a safe room, the one with the dark room, it was after I opened the storage box to put something in, so it might be just missing from the demo, or they feel like it doesn't fit the tone. 

I'm with you on the violence in a different way. I shot a zombie in the head a couple of times, it kept getting up, I'd put it down, then on the 3rd shot its heard exploded in red gore and yellow stuff, it looked cartoony by comparison to the rest of the game. I think if this was the first game in a series it wouldn't look like that, but since RE4 they've had that in, it's out of place a bit here.

I still don't know if I'm going to get this on release, I think if it was more like 4 I would, but it did remind me of what I didn't like about the old Resident Evil games, and why I still haven't got to 7, I want more of an action game than a survival horror, which isn't a knock at RE, just different tastes

I played the PC version, it defaults to maximum settings, which uses 14gb of vram (I've got 8). I've got my tv connected to my PC and it wanted to run the game at 4k, so I dropped that down, dropped the framerate to 60, dropped the texture quality down from whatever stupid level it was set to. It runs well, nice and smooth and it looks better than the Pro version.

I was playing with mouse and keyboard, the reticle isn't precise enough for you to be headshotting everything, but it does aim better. I'm not sure if it's connected, but I found that killing the zombies with headshots became super rare, in fact zombies seemed to not stay dead when I returned to rooms. It might just be a coincidence, or it might be an extra level of difficulty to counteract the increased accuracy. Also you can't reload from the inventory?

also there's a first aid spray in the ladies bathroom on the way to where the officer is shouting you from

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure it's worth starting a thread for Supraland as I've only played the demo, but I think this might turn out to be the next Steam indie darling

It's kind of a 3D metroidvania but with the physics of the type of PC indie game that came out following Minecraft. It looks great, simple geometry and characters with loads of effects splashed on top, it moves quite well, although I did have a few issues with the jumping today, can't say I had the same problems when I was playing yesterday. It's got a lot of character and a lot of humour too, it's not hilarious so far but it's decent.

There's a bit of combat, which for the duration of the demo is melee combat. Skeletons walk towards you and you swing your sword, it's a bit hard to judge how far away they are but there's usually health around to recover, and death isn't a huge problem as the game checkpoints constantly. The loop of the game, early on, is that you have to go to see the blue people (you're red), but to do that you're going to need to perform certain actions (press a lever on a ledge you can't reach for example). To do that you're going to need to upgrade yourself, which you can do with coins, dropped around the environment, but you'll also be needing barrels to take back to the shopkeeper to unlock more perks to buy. You're limited by your purse, which can be increased, you can pick up double and triple jumps, improved speed, more damage, health, recovery etc

Basically the game gates you, and while it isn't as clear in a 3D world, seemingly there's only ever one way forward open to you

I've just finished the demo and I quite enjoyed it. I'm not sure I want a full game of that but the trailers do make the later game look more fun, so maybe