passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

No more shoutbox

Hendo

I'll be brief as I gotta go to work in a bit.

Basically, as I now know, a chat script like the shoutbox isn't allowed on a shared server due to how much hammering it does to the server. Hence the slowdown of the site, we were probably slowing down loads of other sites too. :blush:

It's gonna be weird with no shoutbox but there are a few different options that I've got in mind.

Apart from them there are two other choices - lose the shoutbox and continue like that (be a bit weird but every other site does that) or invest in a dedicated server which means there's only us on it. The prices are a bit scary though.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the videos!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cheapest is 30 quid a month (probably all we would need) and then they go off to 60 quid a month and upwards. :ohmy:

30 quid a month is £360 over a year. That's a hell of a lot of cash just for bolting on a shoutbox. At the moment we're paying about 60 a year - big difference eh?

This sucks. :(

We had a shoutbox on my old site as part of the forum, it was a phpbb based add-on and didn't cost any extra nor did it slow anything down. I'm missing the shoutbox already, it's not right not having it there and just talking shit all the time. It was my favourite part of the site, whether that's a good thing or not...

:(

What am I gonna do all day?! I'll have to work or something!

I vote we all chip in a bit, I'm sure the people that are on here a fair bit won't mind chipping in £3 a month... :)

I wouldn't mind, although it would be a logistical nightmare for you, Mr Hendo!

my friend Tristan is a web programmer and i know he runs a vietcong forum, he coded some kind of shout box thing for there website, think he might run his own dedicated sever for it as well (not sure about that off the top of my head though) i could ask him about alternative options for the shoutbox if you want me to.

I'm a paid member on both NTSC-UK and RLLMUK. NTSC-UK is a fiver a year and RLLMUK is £5.50. You get your name in a different colour (and a 'Super Member' tag on rllmuk), and access to an extra forum. I don't really use the extra forums, but I like to do my bit to keep the site running. Although, a fiver wouldn't be enough for the small amount of frequent posters on here. £30 a month is steep...

Hold on, that reminds me. A friend of mine's Dad has a server we might be able to use...

If you are interested I could speak to him about it. He's already offered it to a friend of mine for her recruitment business.

Alternatively, I have a fixed IP and a spare pc... wouldn't know how to set anything up mind you and I bet Ed's constant bargain posting would slow my online Wii games right down!!!!

Crikey, never looked at RLLMUK before, just had a gander and there were 900 uses in the last 30 mins??!?! eh?!

Missed this place, but I love the shoutbox. As Ed says, it's the best part of the site. (No offence BTW).

Hope you can get it sorted out. I don't have a very big income so won't be able to help with costs.

wildejon wrote:

Crikey, never looked at RLLMUK before, just had a gander and there were 900 uses in the last 30 mins??!?! eh?!

Yeah, it's pretty much the biggest UK based gaming forum! It started originally when EDGE closed down their forums, before starting up edge-online

Our members have made a total of 3,385,453 posts

We have 9,340 registered members

Most users ever online was 2,573 on Jul 31 2007, 03:25 PM

That's one of the options I'm looking into, Games!!!

The problem is knowing whether it's using our server or theirs everytime someone posts a message.

Hopefully it'll mean the forum getting more usage though.

As useful and cool as the shoutbox was, it also meant people (and I'm including myself here too) would just post up a link to something and there'd be pages worth of discussions gone into the ether.

If I hadn't have pushed you guys into posting your thoughts on E3 we wouldn't have had anything!

It's a double-edged sword.

For now, unless someone comes along with a bottomless pit of cash, I'd say use the forum as intended and don't be afraid to post random crap.

This does mean we may have to extend the Latest Posts thing. We can extend the ammount to more, and add tabs as well so there could be 10 posts per tab, and have say 3 tabs nestled in.

If there's enough people that could/would be willing to give cash I can set up a paypal or affiliate or something, but I've always held off asking people for money as I can afford 60 quid a year and I'm not doing this for a job.

Ask that guy about his server, Jon - I'd be interested in what we could do with it. Though I have nightmares about the last time we were running by a server in someone's house.

:laugh:

That server is in his office building... if it helps :)

Not sure where to mention this now there is no shoutbox but Nanostray is £11.96 delevered on uwish.co.uk too. Might have already been mentioned?

I'm holding out for the sequel, the first looked a bit too fiddly to me although I really wanted to buy it and like it, I never did...

so is starfox command!!!

If you can get some details from him that would be ace. :)

Oh, and *cough* Super Deals folder *cough*. :P

I've extended the Latest Posts thing from 10 to 15, seeing as there's a space now it shouldn't be a problem, but if anyone would rather see it back to 10 just say so. Feedback much appreciated. :)

I tried the tabs thing and it sent all the stuff on the right to the far bottom of the page which wasn't good.

Some people's comments I missed, sorry.

Ben - may God have mercy on your inbox.

Centy - regarding the weekend comment about badgering me, it wouldn't have made any difference. I was as much in the dark - I sent a total of 5 emails before I got a reply and rang "customer support" twice. Gotta love Indian call centres.

Jimbo - any help or advice would be greatly recieved, cheers. However, as long as we're on a shared server we just can't have a chat script running.

It does warm my heart though that a good portion of people came back within an hour of this place going back online (presumably without having been told).

"You can crush us

You can bruise us

But you'll have to answer to

Oh, DS-WiiFi".

:kiss: