passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo DS Browser

Hendo

So I went and did it.

£30 from Gamestation in Chester.

Typing as I start it up.

First up, confirm your language, then your time zone, then set a password for browser locking. After confirming your net settings (should already be in there if you've already played over WFC) we're ready to go.

Now I've entered this site as the address and connected. Yeah it does take quite a while to load our humble little area. :(

By default my browser is now set to "whole site on bottom screen with square for zoom, and top screen is the zoomed in part". Or "overview".

Scroll down to the bottom of the page (where the GP, Opera and Playd logos are) then scroll back up to the top, and it has to re-load the main logo! Not good.

It's also taking its sweet time to find something I can link to (I'm trying to highlight the forum link on main menu). Again more loading.

Now trying to log in with the testmember account - so slow even moving from username to password!

This overview mode is doing my tits in so i'll try one of the others.

If you're touching the screen to scroll the default is swipe stylus up to go down and vice versa, however touching the scroll bar, it moves as normal.

I've also got it on "fit to view" so the whole site is spread across both screens but like Opera on the phone, everything's vertical.

Now I'm taking fit to width off. Hmmm, not much difference to be honest.

No sir - didn't like it!

Seems to be the consensus the just cant handle alot of info persoanlly i thought our site would have loaded superquick. I reckon in the long run this wont sell well seeing as how the kind of people who want it would be into homebrew and there are many more superior browsers out there.

Oliath wrote:

... yeah but for the price tag...

Its a pretty big risk to take if its gonna be shit.

And by shit i mean if it fails to satisty as its ONE function that it is made for... web browsing... its gonna be so lame if its slow etc etc..

Exactly Oli.

It's sole purpose is web browsing and as yet I haven't seen it do it properly.

If it was free, you'd demand an update, but for £30 you're taking the piss.

I'm keeping it though for several reasons.

Firstly, on a moral ground I'd feel bad taking it back when I knew it was gonna be crap beofre I bought it.

Secondly, after losing my gaming collection through the years by trading and selling when I needed the cash, now I don't need the cash (though I'm sure not rich) so I'm keeping as much as I can.

Thirdly, it's a gaming oddity, isn't it? Could be rare in the future, especially if they re-release it as a decent version.

boo.

gutted to hear that as i was ready to love this and see it become a must have ds accessory. would have been ideal im london on my lunch to just sit near a hotspot and browse.

however... do you think its slowness is more a failing of the hardware in some way? cos opera on my mobi... im lovin it

Well, its good its bad in a way. Otherwise I would have gotten it, and since there are little hotspots in Cardiff, the only place I'd use it is...at home. And seing as the comp and my laptop both have the internet conection, do i really need to browse the web on a small screen. Sorry, 2 small screens.

Well I've faffed around with it a little more and I'm starting to get used to the controls and stuff, but it's still horrendously slow.

I know in various reviews it lamented the 'no flash' thing, which I can see as being a problem as you're paying for a browser (how bizarre is that concept?), but I could handle that as long as the speed was upto scratch.

Which it isn't.

As advice to Oli, I'd say buy it if you've got the cash spare and you think you might get some use out of it, and like me, you're curious to what it's like. However, be warned of the flaws.

Ura, on the other hand, don't bother, you'll get no use out of it, and besides you're a student with little free cash.

Let's put it this way, I'd be disappointed if it was free.

• 2 weeks later...

i like it... i don't know why, but i do :)

but one question, how do i set google to be the search engine?

in the options bit you can type in the url of another search engine so you dont have to use yahoo, but when i put in google.co.uk it doesnt work...

is there a certain url i need to use?

if so, what is it?

Very true, but Centy's equation works perfectly well here (see the thread on "Disney games").

I'm a sucker for technology and though it's not exactly the first touch screen portable browser, i just wanted to try it out.

£30? Nope, defintely not.

• 2 months later...