passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Halo 3

Swallow

I wasn't particularly talking about online combat though. My criticisms of Halo 3 and CoD4 are varied but both very lengthy. Halo offers more variety in it's aprroach to set-pieces, whilst it's still far more linear than, say, Crysis, it at least offers some decent alternatives to the perfect way through a level. CoD4 is linear as hell, there is little variety, it's shallow in almost every area including online and the weapons feel like absolute shit, every last one of them.

not that im making the distinction as a way of attacking halo but ive never felt that halo was a non-linear game :blink:

but cod4 certainly isnt i agree, but so what? buzzwords like sandbox and linearity aim to make you feel like every game should be an open ended enviroment where you do what the fuck you like, but most games in my top ten would be pretty linear games. fact is cod4 is fun as fuck, and one of its main draws is its realism, something i totally appreciate, despite its set paths (which are toally apparent in all halo games too)

It's not the set paths, more the fact that the AI reacts depending on all sorts of things, not the same each time.

The levels themselves are very linear, but if they weren't I wouldn't be interested - I hate games where you get lost because there's so many options of where you go.

the AI is much better in 3, i definitely agree. the only really non linear fps's i can think of off the top of my head are far cry and crysis, though ive only play far cry. what a game that is. itll just give you somewhere you need to be, miles away and leave it up to you how you get there, by land, air or sea, guns blazing through the front door or sneaking up the cliffs round the back etc. brilliant stuff

the deus ex series maybe? didnt play the first, but i did play Invisible War and quite liked it (though its meant to be dissimilar). the different story paths are what makes the 2nd one non-linear, the gameplay not so much at all

TopGunKnacker wrote:

the only really non linear fps's i can think of off the top of my head are far cry and crysis, though ive only play far cry.

i think operation flashpoint and deus ex would count as non linear fps's too, i've not played flashpoint though, deus ex is flipping brilliant.

halo has lots of linear corridoor parts but also has some non linear stuff (appart from the AI) like the battles with the giant robot spider things (what they are actually called escapes me) there's a shed load of different ways to take thoes out.

TopGunKnacker wrote:

the deus ex series maybe? didnt play the first, but i did play Invisible War and quite liked it (though its meant to be dissimilar). the different story paths are what makes the 2nd one non-linear, the gameplay not so much at all

yeah they are quite different, although i liked invisible war, its like deus ex lite or something, the first one is miles better imo, one of my favorite games ever.

3 new maps out yesterday at the really high price of 800 points (or free sometime next year) and due to our rediculously slow internet they still haven't finished downloading :angry:

the forge map looks cool with all the new building blocks.

so is any one else mad enough to buy these? (probably not, but they will work out as good value for me as i play halo a lot)

• 2 weeks later...

Centy wrote:

Wait a sec hold up. You have to buy maps? :huh:

Jesus do you have to buy stability patches aswell? :blink:

Well, not really.

spatular wrote:

(or free sometime next year)

Halo 3 seems to have enough maps for the odd bash, but if your not that bothered then wait.

That forge thing looks like a technical version of Mouse trap, I don't like to think how long it took to get that right.:pinch:

*EDIT. Hay mods, why do my quotes have no blue boxes?:angry: Fixed missing the opening tags for some reason

Still thats hardly fair that they are effectively forcing you to pay for what any other game gives you for free or is that a Live thing generally Pc games give out new official maps in patches but then we do have the mod community making customs but doesnt that mean you're getting shafted twice by being denied both.

yeah its a live thing, lots of games have added content that costs points unfortunately.

and yeah i've tried making stuff in forge and just to spin a block round the way you want it was difficult enough for me, like you say that thing must have taken ages!

(woooo keyboard working on wii!)