passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 4

Hendo

so you reckon I'm gonna have to restart it?

hmm, well, maybe I'll take back some of that praise i heaped upon the game, making you restart a game to conserve ammo is NOT a good design feature in my book, in fact, its fair to say I now won't be bothering with this.

damn game.

and i want to soooooo much....

that's a bit extreme. I feel really guilty now for making you hate the game :( I was in the castle when i had to restart and i still enjoyed it, so it hopefully wont be the end of the world. You might be able to get past that section with a few tries, but if not the start of the game is (imo) the best part anyway :)

Have you tried pushing all the bookcases in front of the doors and windows, etc? That'll keep em occupied for a while longer. If your low on ammo you can leave one window un-covered so they can get in, allowing you to kill em and hopefully pick up any ammo they leave. (or in this scenario, let spaniard face shoot em)

While waiting to drop off to sleep last night I booted up this again, and decide to start from scratch (got all my old saves still though).

I was suprised how good it still looks and plays, but yet again (just like when I first played it) I got stuck in the village and got my head cut off by a chainsaw.

Good times.

I did this in a darkened room with the curtains drawn to block out the glare from sunlight, and therefore to avoid being scared shitless took it really simple and slowly, I only noticed the chainsaw guy once Id shot im and thought it was weird that it took so many hits, the worst encounter is when they are in the mine carts with you, that made me brick myself.

The bits that I really didnt like about this game were when you have to stop ashley from getting kidnapped, usually I like bits like this in games eg Max payne or enter matrix where you have to give sniper cover but she just seems to always get in trouble, and never call for help until its too late, still the ability to make her run towards you and then wait and then run again is genius perversion.

• 3 months later...

Firstly, I really like the new artwork

So far so good I'd say. I've just got to the village and not had any undue troubles. The control system is still a bit weird, you move and turn entirely with the analogue, while the remote handles your aiming. I spent the first few minutes trying to look around via the remote a la Red Steel, but it's already starting to click.

Supposedly it's easier to score headshots (I might have done one, but there was no explosion of claret, I hope they've not took it out) and kneecapping, meaning you can save ammo buy using kicks and the knife. Again it might be a case of just getting used to it, and I have managed it (the knife is definately easier) but it's not as easy to do as I'd hoped.

I had a brief go on it earlier, and am heading back to the village. It's the first time I've played RE4, despite owning the Ltd Ed. PS2 version. Don't ask me why, too many games. It's pretty tense, isn't it? The amount of baddies so early on is immense. And now everyone's throwing things at me! Controls seem to work nicely with the Wiimote and Nunchuk, although I keep forgetting I can do a 180 turn.

Ive had a brief go on this today too. First Impressions are good - the game was amazing anyway, but the controls seem to fit well. The only thing that I dont like at the moment is that when you aim you have to move the screen with the analogue stick while aiming with the Wiimote...

but i guess that because im used to the Cube version. Will probably click into place soon enough.

The controls have just about clicked with me now, and do you know what, it is easier to use the knife now. The game now auto aims when you use the knife, so if you can get someone down on the floor you can knife the bastard a few times quite quickly.

The dynamite carriers have done me some damage. I kill them, but forget that the dynamite they were carrying will still explode, it's got me a few times as I've stepped over them.

I'm enjoying it more than i was this morning. There are a few sections of RE4 I really dont like, and I think I'd forgotton just how many parts of it there are I love

For people who've never played before.

The village at the start is the hardest part in the game, especially above easy level.

Made even harder in the Wii one by the fact that you're still getting used to the controls.

Not to impressed so far. It flickers a lot, anyone else get this? I like the way some dialogue has changed (althoug it might be how it is on the PS2), but the controls are going to get getting used too, and seem more like a hinderence than an addition worth rebuying the game for:ohmy:

But as I loved the pube version so much I shall persevere a tell my tale of how I converted I'm sure;)

Well, Eurogamer slagged off the controls in their review but most people said after a little while you'll really dig them.

Seems to be the crux of most Wii games, especially those that are ports or standard type games that some people take to them, and some people just don't.

Games!!! wrote:

For people who've never played before.

The village at the start is the hardest part in the game, especially above easy level.

Made even harder in the Wii one by the fact that you're still getting used to the controls.

There was a bit in the castle that always used to beat chunks out of me. The bit with the levers, then straight after Ashley has to operate some more levers while you protect her

Been playing this for the last few hours and I'm in the bit where you first meet the merchant (whatever you do Ed, don't kill him!) and I've spent some cash on a bigger bag.

Like Ben, I'd forgotten about some of my favourite bits so far, and the part I'm on now is pretty memorable.

Control wise it's weirder than I thought it would be - you can imagine pointing to aim, but it is right that it takes a while to get used to the concept of using the d-pad for your camera. In fact, most times I go into aim mode as it just doesn't feel right moving a camera with a d-pad. Analogue FTW. They're beginning to click with me though.

I'd say it is a lot easier to aim now Ben - I've done loads of headshots with the pistol and there were definately explosions of red stuff!

I may have made a mistake, but I'm on Normal mode. Considering I got stuck on the Cube version on Normal, I should perhaps have gone for Easy, but hey.

Finally, I can't quite decide if Resi 4 has aged, or they ported the slightly worse looking PS2 version, as I seem to remember it looking better than this. Nothing major, just some small textures that aren't as smooth as I remember. Could be the old rose specs though.

Hendo wrote:

I'd say it is a lot easier to aim now Ben - I've done loads of headshots with the pistol and there were definately explosions of red stuff!

Yeah, I dont know why the very first villagers head didnt explode, maybe it was just a glitch. Since then I've had a few head shots, but I've mostly been aiming for the shin so i can follow up with a kick, then a jolly good slashing.

I'm still not getting headshots when I shoot heads as often as I should, but I had similar problems int he cube one until the guns were powered up a bit.

Oh, and if you can, play this through surround sound, it gets insanely atmospheric

I'm gonna need some tips I reckon on the old 'what guns to buy/upgrade' thing soon.

I'm fairly certain I upgraded a few times on the Cube one, but my problem with games like this is running out of ammo.

On a side note, is there any way of essentially grinding for cash? Like, going back into sections purely to get money? I don't remember anything like that but I want to get the most I can so I'm not stuck with my pea-shooter.

(I now have the pistol and shotgun - I could've bought the rifle, but I went for the bigger bag instead)