passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 4

Hendo

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to make it to chapter 2. Dead 4 times (2 to the fish, I didn’t realise I could move the boat). Saved like a billion times so far. About 2:45 hrs. I’m doing the opposite of a speedrun. I want to see just how long this game takes me to finish. It’s intentional, I’m meaning to take forever.

Not going to lie that was a lot of fun. I’m a bit irritated by the buttons and the camera is a bit close and doesn’t control very well. Not even in combat, just trying to look around is a bit of a pain. It’s not horrible but definitely feels from like a long time ago. But it’s really great.

This game does survival horror in a much more earned way than most games and that’s the survival comes from the moment to moment action instead of the action being hard because you have no ammo. It’s not a restriction on resources that makes it difficult, it’s actually playing the game which is very good.

However I am really bad at it. I got to that big fight scene after the first merchant with the little bridges and stuff. It was only after I spent all my ammo and health items killing nearly everybody that I popped one in the head and they fell off the bridge. I totally forgot that was a thing. I’m also struggling to hit the dynamite sticks but that’s more of a Switch thing that anything else. It’s great way to play RE4 in terms of presentation. Not a great way to play it in terms of sticks.

The only thing I don’t like about this game legit so far is it doesn’t leave me alone. You have a big action scene, walk in to the next bit, and there’s more dudes. It’s like we just did this. Feels like nearly every room is a combat encounter unto itself. Which this is an action game so sure. But it would be nice if it left me alone for a bit of calm for a little bit (Although there’s not much gameplay outside of shooting so maybe that’s part of it too)

I was going to say maybe it’s missing more puzzles like the older games. But the big one I ran in to was the dial puzzle and went to Google after like 10 minutes because I’m a bitch. Maybe I should just stick to the shooting.

That was really good overall, though. Just got a think a bit more instead of standing in one place head shotting everybody until I got no shit left 

Just wait until you spend 15 bullets head shotting someone only to have a Las Plagas pop out and have to spend another 10 bullets head shotting that.... fun times.

1 hour ago, HandsomeDead said:

From a kneecap shot you can suplex, you roundhouse kick after a headshot which is more reliable but not as fun as suplexing.  Then you run up a knife them on the ground.  This is the RE4 loop.

This is what was coming back to me yesterday. I just forgot how close to them you have to be to knife. I was messing it up a lot in the beginning.

Maybe it doesn’t come through in my 2am post last night but I was having such a good time with the game. It’s hard, kinda. But in an interesting way. Can’t wait for tonight see if I can clear chapter 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just reached the castle. 4:15hrs. 14 deaths. This game is really testing my fucking patience.

When thinking about what is the point of a RE4 remake when all the RE remakes have been in the style of RE4 - it sounds pointless. But going back this game is crying for modernisation. Every time I pull the aim button and the lag from the little wait to pick up momentum just to move the gun is just like come the fuck on. The fact that weapon switching is tied to in and out of menus it’s like come the fuck on. Just the stiffness and clunkiness to the movement is like come the fuck on. The amount of sudden deaths because the game can’t communicate what it wants you to do is like come the fuck on.

I get this game is meant to be replayed and on a second time through it’s probably much cleaner. But a modern game would find ways for the player to understand the set piece and feel less robbed when you get one shot by some bullshit.

Just before the castle there’s this truck that comes down the road. There’s a side of the track that looks like a gap so I tried to run in there, but it’s just too…fool you because it actually isn’t a gap at all? Second time I shot the driver but that doesn’t stop the truck. Third time I shot the truck until it explodes but it clearly didn’t explode enough. Forth time I got the machine gun out and just emptied it and that worked. But it’s 3 deaths for no reason. For a game that’s counting deaths seem pretty fucking savage.

The game is full of good ideas but trying to go back to it after playing games that, even if they took all their inspirations from this game, do this shit so much better. It’s really hard. It just feels really old and actually this game is ripe for a remake. 

It has checkpoints so none of this stuff sounds like that big a deal, really

I recently played most of it in VR (did not get to the island), so a lot of this is fresh in my mind. The dynamite ambush, a bit bullshit I guess. But the truck sniping thing they start you right at the start of the set piece, it's not a big deal.

Anyway shooting the driver in the truck stops the truck. I used the sniper rifle and shot him, the truck flips over and that's it

On the menu stuff, that did annoy me. In the VR version you can put a rifle/shotgun on your back and a handgun in your holster next to your hip, but I feel they could have done a lot more there. Weapon swapping is already a thing in the other re remakes anyway

Yeah... basically you weren't quick enough at taking out the driver. Also (and this is forgivable if it's your first time through) stop dragging Ashley around, get her to stay in safe areas.

I definitely popped the truck driver in two shots, but maybe I ran too far up the track at the start because I stood there as it ran me over like “This’ll be fine, right?”

I forgot I could tell Ashley to wait. But they just go after her anyway, don’t they? Maybe she makes for a good distraction.

I’ve completed this before but I’ve only remembered about 20% of what I’ve played so far, and not even remembered it in the right order 

I know I’m about to be pelted with fireballs I remember this bit coming up 

1 hour ago, Maf said:

I forgot I could tell Ashley to wait. But they just go after her anyway, don’t they? Maybe she makes for a good distraction.

Depends where you tell her to wait I suppose... I know I never take her to that part you got blown up in.

To be fair I find the vast majority of that game annoying now... I especially hate the island area. Its pretty much the reason to be excited on the remake, hopefully I'll have an enjoyable Resident Evil 4 again.

Aww, man. I got to 3-4 and had a good couple of chapters where I didn’t die at all. Even the cage match I managed to get through in one go (Though it cost me everything in terms of grenades and health items). 

Then Ashley pops back up, immediately gets grabbed, I shoot the guy, apparently copped her too, death. Sigh. 

Just getting in the groove with this as well and they bought this bitch back god dammit. That’ll do for now I don’t want to deal with her.

I’m still having this thing where I get through a fight and it’s only after when I get to look around I see oh you was meant to use this or go here or could have gone this way. Like the cage match I only realised after I could of shot the lock off the door and had more space to run around. 

It’s cool, though. That’s just the game, I guess. Having to learn it.

I’ve got to the point where the game is selling me new weapons but I don’t know anything about the weapons in this game. I should probably get the Magnum I feel like but why buy a new shotgun when my current shotgun does the same damage, carries more ammo and has faster reload? I’m sure I could level the new shotgun up but that’s a lot of money (Though I do have like, 120,000g and that’s after buying the XL suitcase)

Also the rifle in this game is excellent in very specific situations which hardly ever come up. The game keeps giving me ammo for it, though. I feel like it’s trying to encourage me to use it but 9/10 rooms aren’t rifle situations. 

Don’t tell me about the weapons because I want to experiment by myself but it is tricky knowing what would be clever. Another reason this game is meant for multiple play throughs.

I dunno. This game is still swings and roundabouts so far. Sometimes like today I’m really liking it. Last night losing about 6+ lives to stupid fireball shit I was very much not liking it. 

I did look up how many chapters are in this game so looks like I’m about half way through

The Punisher does suck, there's too many limitations in RE4's movement model

Fully upgraded it can do some cool things I guess, but you don't want that spoiled so I'll put it here

Spoiler

Pierces 5 enemies at once

Not to keep mentioning the VR version, but it's actually amazing in that one cause you can motherfucking move and shoot at the same time and crouch and lean and position your shots and shit 🤯

All the other handguns are pretty cool though I think, even the basic starter has its own unique ability that's fun

• 1 year later...

Been playing the VR version of this, its good fun, like being inside a hi res gamecube game, the textures arent too bad but it is pretty low detail, which i think is helping it not be too scary - for me definitely a good thing. Im finding some parts pretty hard even on easy, i dont have room to move much, been playing in the kitchen, punched the oven a few times, hope the controllers are strong! It seems like you cant rotate and teleport at the same time which is pretty crap unless im missing it in the settings. Some parts are really cool in vr, the shooting, the mine cart bit, the sense of scale, the shooting galleries are great although you dont seem to get anything good from doing them. Some stuff is a bit crap in vr like choosing save slot, and picking stuff up can be a pain, no explanation of how to use the rocket launcher. Ashley is probably the scariest part of the game, shes really quiet so i forget she's there sometimes, then turn round and shes right in your face, makes me jump. But yeah its good fun.