Centy

Random News

Halo 3 was announced long ago to be the last Bungie developed Halo, and indeed the last in the main Halo plotline (ie involving Master Chief, the Rings, covenant and the Forerunners), Halo Wars is developed by someone else, and is a prequel, set during the period the covenant first attack Humankind.

Nobody has ever said the Halo franchise would end, it makes too much money for that to happen, look at the MGS series, right from Sons of Liberty being released Kojima has said it would be his last one, then he made Snake Eater, now Guns of the Patriots and each time he's said the same thing.

Also, bungie seem to like doing trilogy's, or at lwast this will have been their second as the Marathon series was also a trilogy.

Lastly, if they are parting ways, and Microsoft have first refusal on any of their projects, this is a way alot of places in the industry are heading. Yuji Naka left Sonic Team last year, and with a 10% funding from SEGA, set up his own external studio. In return for that 10%, SEGA have first refusal on anything the new development firm come up with.

No Assassin's Creed demo

Jade Raymond has said there won't be an Assassin's Creed demo ahead of the game's release in November.

Speaking in a roundtable interview at Tokyo Game Show posted by Gametrailers (if you listen carefully you'll hear our own Kristan Reed asking a few questions), Raymond answers a question about the prospect of a demo: "No, we're not making a demo."

Apparently that's because Assassin's Creed is too much of a sandbox game. "There was no way to really make a demo," Raymond said, "and I think that's the same reason that games like GTA don't have a demo - when you have a city it's hard to figure out exactly what you put on there."

They did try to come up with a solution, she says, but in the end they gave up.

Source

I've just been watching that video (I don't care what anyone says, whether she was in the games industry or a complete unknown, she's a hot woman) and found it sad that there's no demo. I'm not entirely convinced either that the reasons are correct.

Kristan from Eurogamer tries persuading her to make Beyond Good & Evil 2 but she more or less changes the subject. :(

Hendo wrote:

I've just been watching that video (I don't care what anyone says, whether she was in the games industry or a complete unknown, she's a hot woman) and found it sad that there's no demo. I'm not entirely convinced either that the reasons are correct.

Kristan from Eurogamer tries persuading her to make Beyond Good & Evil 2 but she more or less changes the subject. :(

I'm buying Assassin's Creed purely based on the fact that Jade Redmond is so loverly, with a beautiful smile.* :blush::P

*Not really, but I'll be buying it on day of release. I'd forgotten (didn't even realise) that GTA didn't have demos, but it would've been nice to have a little go. I'll forgive Jade though. *kisses screen*

PlayStation 3 magazine PSU3 merges with long-standing Play

Imagine Publishing chooses to focus on its core PlayStation brands for 2008 and beyond

Imagine Publishing today announced the merger of PSU3 with Play, effective immediately. The move comes after careful deliberation into the state of both the PlayStation and the related magazine market which has not seen the significant growth shown by Xbox 360 titles. With the PlayStation magazine market unlikely to improve in the short to medium term, the decision was taken to merge the two titles in order to focus resources on what is Imagine’s market-leading PlayStation title.

The merger will see key staff from PSU3 move over to Play to bolster its already talented team, and will see some of PSU3’s innovative features incorporated into Imagine’s bestselling independent title and improve Play’s editorial package in time for what is hoped to be a stronger 2008.

Nick Jones, Editor in Chief of Imagine’s PlayStation titles commented, “The fact is that the PlayStation market is at an all-time low and this has been reflected in the sales of PlayStation magazines. With a lower than expected PlayStation 3 installed user base, no price reduction of the hardware, and few triple-A games until much later next year, we have taken the decision to merge PSU3 with Play and focus on our most long-standing games brands and also our new launches.”

“By concentrating on Play, our premium PlayStation multiformat magazine, and of course PowerStation the market-leading tips and cheats title, we will be able to ensure that Imagine stays ahead of its competitors and remains an attractive opportunity for games publishers and advertisers alike.”

Issue 159 of Play will be the first issue to incorporate PSU3 and will be on sale on 19 October. Existing subscribers of PSU3 will be offered Play as a substitute.

Shame as I quite liked the magazine. :(

Triple post. :laugh:

5th October 2007

Imagine set to launch first new PC games magazine in ten years!

Bournemouth-based publisher announces November launch for new PC and online games magazine, Total PC Gaming

Imagine Publishing is proud to announce the launch of an exciting and innovative PC games magazine on sale on 8 November. Total PC Gaming is the latest next-generation launch into the PC games magazine market, offering a fresh alternative for the games industry, advertisers and readers.

Total PC Gaming retails at £3.99 for 148 pages, making it the biggest and best-value PC games magazine available. The magazine is a complete resource for hardcore gamers and covers all aspects of contemporary PC gaming with special focus on areas neglected by the current competitors, such as MMORPG, retro gaming and hardware, along with previews and reviews of the latest games.

Each issue includes an innovative 20-page mini-mag – MMO Worlds – dedicated to the huge MMORPG market, currently the fastest-growing sector of the games market with millions of players worldwide. The huge hardware section offers group tests and reviews of the latest gaming hardware with emphasis on performance tests for gamers who constantly upgrade their kit. The unique retro section is packed with backwards looks at the classics of PC gaming for those who fondly remember the games of their youth.

Dave Harfield, Editor in Chief, commented: “It’s the most comprehensive PC games magazine available, covering all genres of games, along with advice on buying and configuring hardware for the best possible performance. Total PC Gaming is the magazine that every PC gamer needs.”

“The PC gaming fraternity has been crying out for an alternative option in a market that has been dominated by one publisher for over a decade.” Said Advertising Manager James Hanslip.

“Industry support has been fantastic with the fresh ideas welcomed and aggressive price point of £3.99, the lowest in the marketplace, making the title highly accessible. The increased competition this title will offer is ultimately great news for advertisers offering a true alternative marketing platform in an extremely high quality product” Hanslip added.

Dave Harfield, Editor in Chief, commented: “It’s the most comprehensive PC games magazine available, covering all genres of games, along with advice on buying and configuring hardware for the best possible performance. Total PC Gaming is the magazine that every PC gamer needs.”

PlayStation 3 magazine PSU3 merges with long-standing Play

Makes sense though - there's no point in having a Wii mag plus a DS one, nor a 360 mag and a seperate Xbox one.

The goverment are launching a study into violent games (and the internet)

For some reason, even though what's said isnt too bad, and the BBFC and ELSPA are already pretty strict, I cant help but cringe a bit.

What I'd be interested to see is how much coverage this gets. If the results demand huge sweeping changes, then I reckon the newspapers and channels will pounce. If like the BBFC study it's not too critical of the games industry it wont get covered at all

There were two (games) people on BBC Breakfast this morning talking about this. One was a Games Tester & I can't remember who the other one was. :S I was too busy eating my Bran Flakes. BUt I think it came to making the parents more aware of what games there family members were playing.

071009asus4.jpg

Tokyo, October 9, 2007– Sony Computer Entertainment Japan (SCEJ), a division of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) responsible for business operations in Japan, today announced that it would launch a new PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) model in Japan on November 11th at a recommended retail price of 39,980 yen (including tax). The new PS3 is equipped with a 40GB hard disk drive (HDD) and comes in two color variations of “Clear Black” and newly introduced “Ceramic White” to meet a variety of users’ lifestyle and preferences. Along with the introduction of the new model, the company also announced that effective October 17th, 20GB HDD and 60GB HDD models currently available in the market will have a recommended retail price of 44,980 yen and 54,980 yen (including tax) respectively.

Moreover, DUALSHOCK®3 Wireless Controller which was revealed at Tokyo Game Show, will become available in the Japanese market on November 11th in two colors of “Black” and “Ceramic White” at a recommended retail price of 5,500 yen including tax.

While holding the state-of-the-art technologies which define PS3 as an advanced platform to enjoy next generation interactive entertainment contents on Blu-ray Disc as well as via broadband network at home, new PS3 comes in the market at a highly attractive price. Reflecting both the increased efforts to improve software development environment and the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles, the new PS3 will no longer play PlayStation®2 titles.

On the software front, more than 40 disc based software titles for PS3 as well as more than 30 of downloadable new PS3 games and demos via PLAYSTATION®Store in Japan have been released to date in the Japanese market since the system’s launch in November 2006 and more innovative and exciting new titles are expected to be released toward the holiday season, which include “Dynasty Warriors 6” (KOEI Co., Ltd.), “WORLD SOCCER Winning Eleven 2008” (Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.), and “TIME CRISIS 4 with GUNCON3” (NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.) as well as key upcoming first-party titles such as “GRAN TURISMO 5 Prologue”, “Ratchet and Clank FUTURE:Tools of Destruction” and “Heavenly Sword”.

Additionally, in collaboration with Sony Pictures Entertainment(Japan)Inc., SCEJ will give a complimentary copy of the original Blu-ray Disc movie, “Spider-Man™ 3”, to 200,000 purchasers of the 20GB HDD and 60GB HDD models that are currently available in the market from October 17th as well as new PS3 from November 11th as part of its marketing campaign.

SCEJ will continue to further expand the PS3 platform and create a new world of computer entertainment with innovative and exciting new titles and an enhanced line-up of PS3 systems.

Source

Ben wrote:

As far as the BBC news on the radio made out, it's more to do with "do violent games affect kids?" I'd say that it should be a fairly short investigation with a possible one word answer.

They should spend the money making far more worthwhile studies such as "Is the Pope Catholic?" and "Does a bear poop in the woods?".

What worries me is, when I was at uni studying psychology, there was a clear divide between the lecturers about subjects like this. Some would say" Yes, definately" and some would take what I would consider to be a more realistic approach of "To some extent but..."

Seriously they couldn't we had a subject (child development) where the main the whole basis is whether behaviour and development are defined by genetics or social factors, and not one of the 3 lecturers we had for the course could agree

I dont know anything about Dr Byron, but my worry is she's going to see it as black and white, and it really isnt

If it is more about how kids get hold of the games, then I dont think the games industry has a huge ammount to worry about, what more can they really do?

did they not have any bigger pictures for display phooey, the image is a little small for my liking.

sambob wrote:

did they not have any bigger pictures for display phooey, the image is a little small for my liking.

:laugh:

Re-sized just for sambob. :kiss:

A bit late but hey ho. :)

America got:

Fatal Fury: King of Fighters - Neo Geo

World Heroes - Neo Geo

Art of Fighting - Neo Geo

Yes, you read that correctly. All Neo Geo games, and all fighters!

Another issue that's coming down the pipe as more and more content appears on Virtual Console and with Wii Ware coming out is the issue of space on the Wii. You can't run stuff off of the SD card. It all has to be on the onboard memory. Are you looking at solutions to expand this?

I think that Nintendo loves to have a really clean approach to what they're doing, and the idea is to not have too much of a packrat syndrome, where you've got so much stuff stacked up that… you want to just have products that you're actually going to continue to use. Virtual Console's a really good idea. And it's on the server, so one Chris Kohler purchases it, it's always his. You can download it again. So it's a matter of what do I want to play today. I think we also did the tradeoff: for the price, the size, the flexibility of the system, for us to do all kinds of things. Instead of having a huge box.

At the same time, my memory is full. I went to download the Neo Geo games, and it's like, "you need x blocks of memory." So it's like playing a puzzle game, and I have to look at all my memory and think, what do I not want anymore, okay, I'll move it over here… And it's a laborious process. There's just no plans to change this right now?

We're always talking. But if your refrigerator's full, you've got to pull something out and put something else back in. That's just the normal issue of space. I mean, really, are you using every single thing on there?

Great.

I think it's bollocks, personally, especially as they're just talking about the Virtual Console.

It might all change when Wii Software arrives.