Centy

Random News

Hendo wrote:

A few bits and pieces.

LocoRoco PS3 next Thursday

Sony has rolled down our news hill and sung confirmation that LocoRoco Cocoreccho will be available next Thursday on the PlayStation Network.

It's the one that's an interactive screensaver rather than a fully-fledged game, remember - and will cost GBP 1.99 (EUR 2.92) to download.

So when you sit there not doing anything for a little while, your not-a-game will start - maybe you were looking out of the window at a passing squirrel or a talking hedgehog.

The idea is to wake up the LocoRoco using a little butterfly, then guide them around the map by titling scenery using the Sixaxis controller. See, it is used for something.

All-in-all we're told there will be more than 200 singing blobs to play around with, as well as baddies to stop you getting to the end of the level in one piece.

A shame you're paying for a screensaver, but then as it's LocoRoco, I probably would. :blush:

Good news, although I'd rather have a full on game, but I'm sure I can scrape together 199 pennies to pay for that download. :)

Hendo says:

Awesome stuff, but no idea how they will squeeze it into 150 meg. Ikaruga is coming too to XBLA.

Also, get ready for:

Every Extend Extra Extreme from Q Entertainment,

EXIT from Taito,

Omega Five from Hudson,

Triggerheart Exelica from Warashi (out this year)

Thats a fucking cracking line-up, including Rez and Ikaruga - consider me hard.

Well, here's a turn-up - America hasn't got that Hanabi Festival. At least, not yet.

They did, however, get these:

Yoshi's Story - Nintendo 64

Super Thunder Blade - Sega Genesis

World Class Baseball - TurboGrafx-16

Also, Neo Geo confirmed for US Virtual Console

SNK has issued a press release to inform us that Neo Geo games will indeed appear on the American VC. They have also revealed 3 of the titles to appear, and all of them are fighters! They are Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury and World Heroes (Yes, unfortunately, no Magician Lord quite yet). Note that these have only been mentioned as "key titles", so there might be others on their way soon as well.

The OFLC has now rated Fatal Fury, meaning Europe/Australia will get Neo Geo games too!

And while I'm here - TurboGrafx-CD games for the VC?

More encouraging news in the world of the Virtual Console today. It looks as if PC Engine CD-ROM2 games will be hitting the VC soon according to Nikkei's all Japanese website.

The initial releases are thought to be Ys Book 1 & 2 and Chou Aniki. Ys is one of the finest RPGs on the system and Chou Aniki is a weird and wonderful shooter from the creators of the Megadrive/Genesis classic Gynoug.

For those not in the know the PC Engine CD-ROM2 is the equivalent of the North American TurboGrafx-CD.

Might we one day see our favourite Castlevania game Dracula X (Rondo Of Blood) on the VC? It's possible, although the biggest stumbling block will be the fact that it was never released outside of Japan. However, it will be published as an extra on the upcoming PSP update, so there is a chance Konami will drop it on the VC as well - fingers are firmly crossed, as ever.

What with the NeoGeo coming to the VC and now this, Wii owners are going to find their internal memory filling up very quickly...surely the rumoured harddrive will be confirmed soon?

Hendo wrote:

I just want Parish to return to Retronauts. :(

I don't know why he was removed from the show. Maybe I'll have to do some digging around their forums. Back on topic, I have no idea where to start with my VC collection. There's just sooooo much to choose from. :blink: I'm pretty tempted by Picross which the West didn't get...did we ?

I think the USA got it, probably not us brits as weve always been covered in the most faeces when it comes to games.

Turbografx-CD games?

Wot like games that fit onto a CD?

As in up to 600MB?

More than the Wii Internal memory??

There better Had be some sort of Hard Drive, or at a push ability to play games straight from SD Card...

i dont think that if you took all the data required to run the game (code, textures etc) off the cd youd be left with a very big file at all. certainly not with todays compression techniques applied afterwards. the graphics were so basic back then, the only thing that could fill up a cd that i can think of (unless they were much smaller back then, im not sure) wouldve been the music, and i doubt it wouldve been super high fidelity orchestral stuff at the time. even if it is though, compress it back to bitch and decompress it on the fly, whilst the game is playing. assuming the wii has the power to do that, im sure it does, especially with the people writing the software having access to all the little tricks nintendo can tell them to improve performance

America gets...

Streets of Rage 3 - Sega Genesis

Kirby's Avalanche - SNES [already out in Europe]

Legend of Hero Tonma - TurboGrafx-16

I'm tempted to get SoR3 when it comes out over here, but don't forget this is the week that Europe pwns America! Make sure you've got 1100 points in your account this Friday!

SOR3 is tempting me too, it's not as good as the 2nd game imo, but you can play as Shiva and that kangeroo. shame that old man's in it though.

I was reading some comments about the VC today, and I couldnt believe how many people are unhappy with it. They were turning their noses up at perfectly good games, and demanding the likes of Chrono Trigger be released immediately. There's no pleasing some people

This is why I stopped reading the comments on VC-Reviews and especially their forum. It's like a giant gathering of morons.

If it was intentional it would be hilarious - every week, "No Lylat Wars? Fucking cunts, why are they being so slow?" then when Lylat Wars arrived, "so where's Super Metroid?" and so it continues.

I'd like to think there was some kind of genius sitting at his PC, smirking while he writes his "ironic" send-ups of internet r-tards, but that would only make me want to punch them in the face even more.

America gets...

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels - NES

Sin and Punishment - Nintendo 64

The good news is that they also got stiffed with the same price points as us.

The bad news is that Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels is not a temporary VC title, like over here. :angry:

Hendo wrote:

The bad news is that Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels is not a temporary VC title, like over here. :angry:

that just makes no sense, there never was a good reason for it to be temporary and this - america getting it on entirely different terms seemingly just because theyre american - confirms it

God knows what's going on, it doesn't make any sense to make the game temporary anyway.

Anyhoo...

Nintendo Europe confims NeoGeo VC games and prices

The retro hits just keep coming with Wii’s Virtual Console, with over 140 titles currently available to download. Soon Wii owners will be able to re-experience the greatest arcade games of the '90s with a selection of releases from the NEOGEO. These will join classic games from Nintendo, SEGA and Turbografx already available on Wii Virtual Console.

NEOGEO launched in 1990 and featured advanced 2D graphics and high quality sound similar to arcade machines of the time. Available at a relatively high price, the NEOGEO AES (Advanced Entertainment System) was a cult product available to only a small number of gamers. But now, thanks to Virtual Console, Wii owners can own classic NEOGEO hits. Release of these titles will be handled by D4 Enterprise Inc. headquartered in Tokyo.

The first NEOGEO title to launch on Virtual Console will be the critically acclaimed Fatal Fury, SNK’s oldest fighting game dating from 1991. This will be followed by two other retro fighting games from 1992; World Heroes and Art of Fighting. These will be joined by more titles in the near future.

So look out for the great NEOGEO games that will be making their way onto Wii’s Virtual Console and will be available to download for 900 Wii Points.

The price point seems pretty fair.

I doubt we'd be getting NeoGeo games very often anyway.

There was a lot of them, but it'll be like the T-FX, how many games are you likely to have heard of?

Still I'd consider getting at least 2 of those, but probably not until nintendo get round to sorting the free points out

Internet explodes with rumours that Bungie is to split from Xbox daddy, while PR departments stay vague...

The internet exploded with fanboy chatter last night, as website 8bitJoystick claimed to have information pointing to a split between Microsoft Game Studios and Halo developer Bungie. Big hats of cynicism on now, please...

The site's source - who doesn't work at Bungie but "knows" someone who does - says that Microsoft has agreed to allow Bungie to become an independent studio, but MS will keep the rights to its cash cow Halo franchise. The source claims that the split stems from increased friction during the rush to release Halo 3.

The alleged scenario wouldn't be too dissimilar from Bizarre Creation's recent buyout - although they were never owned by MGS.

Usually this kind of dodgy speculation wouldn't get close enough to get laughed out the door, but an untypical response from Bungie and Microsoft's PR departments has us uncomfortably suspicious.

Microsoft's canned PR statement is "there's been no such announcement. We continue to celebrate the tremendous success of the global phenomenon that is Halo 3". Meanwhile Bungie's usually talkative community pair Frank O'Connor and Luke Smith have gone oddly silent on their usual forum hangouts... as if waiting for an official announcement.

We'll stay on the case, and let you know of any further developments. Rare swapping allegiances seemed crazy a few years ago, as well...

Sounds like it's true. Luke Smith can't keep his mouth closed normally, so I'm betting it's true.

via the arcade, and subsequently years of MAME emulators etc, im a bit of a neo geo connisseur. i think neo geo games and most series got better with time with maybe the exclusion of the AoF series. i would say metal slug, but i actually really like some of the later entries. some of the later and very brilliant NG games are huge for what they are, 50+, 100+ MB and i think that was with some kind of compression applied. maybe theres better compression techniques these days but i think people are going to need an sd card when the more advanced neo geo games start to hit. if they start to hit

personally, i doubt ill download any neo geo games off the vc because of no online features. ive played a lot of the games to death and would rather fire up an emulator than pay to play it on my own on the wii. online is the deal breaker for me, when it comes to reliving some of these old arcade and multiplayer classics.

The rumours get stronger.

Since then other sources tapped up by Team Xbox ("It is more complex than simply Bungie leaving Microsoft or Microsoft letting Bungie go," it claims) and Game Informer (Bungie is "tired of Making Halo, and didn't want to do future Halo games," says its source) have added to the speculation.

The latter report goes on to claim that as well as keeping the rights to the Halo franchise, Microsoft also has "the right of first refusal on future games", which means MS has the first shot at publishing Bungie's future titles.

Now that I read this, it seems the writing has been on the wall all over the shop. It ties in very well with extremely ambiguos statements about the future of Halo made in various magazines, Edge for example.

In their issue where they sucked halos ass clean they were dropping comments about this being the LAST EVER HALO but then talking about the future of halo and saying that there would be more....

I could be reading too much into it in the light of new information, but i prefer to just blindly assume im right.