Centy

Random News

You should check it out again.

This mod won't make the game look incredible but it will help with the "eughh" factor when looking at it on high res.

da_choa.jpg?w=300

datiao_1_0_base_0000516.jpg

Same art but just cleaner

Mako cannon

DygzJ3QXcAAWYXa?format=jpg&name=large

canon_2_0_base_0001020.jpg

7 minutes ago, OCH said:

I dunno. This just seems like another one of those 'gamer vs. graphics whore' things. Why is it necessary to "HD" a game from the 90's? It's an old game, deal with it. Why not give Super Mario Bros a HD makeover? I'm sure it will make all the difference in the world to actually playing the game 🙄

Well as I mentioned the assets were originally HD.

They just got SD-ified and the original artistic intent was compromised to fit on what was available back then

I knew this would be your take lol. It's not a graphics whore thing. These old games actually look far worse on modern technology cause the resolution of the pre-rendered assets are a mismatch with our screens. This is making the games look as good as we remember them, not giving it a makeover.

3 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

You should check it out again.

But does it make any difference to the gameplay though? No, it's just a superficial thing. As I said before with @radiofloyd YouTube video, the edges are smoother. That's all I see. It doesn't do anymore than that. It doesn't add anything that didn't already exist.

These games look old on modern tech, because they are old.

1 minute ago, OCH said:

But does it make any difference to the gameplay though? No, it's just a superficial thing. As I said before with @radiofloyd YouTube video, the edges are smoother. That's all I see. It doesn't do anymore than that. It doesn't add anything that didn't already exist.

Bingo, you finally got it.

It doesn't add anything that didn't exist, it is just making existing assets clearer. That is literally all this is.

Just now, OCH said:

These games look old on modern tech, because they are old.

It's not that they look old, it's that they look worse. Worse than they did in the 90s. Now they can look as good as they should

😂 No, No, Dwarf. The smoother edges don't add anything to the game at all. Like dusting a monitor screen, what you're watching is still there whether you do it or not. An 8 bit game is still 8 bit, regardless of superficial novelties.

They look the same as they always have. Goldeneye, for example, looked ropey even in the 90's. It didn't matter because the gameplay carried it.

So you prefer to play games on a dusty monitor? 🤔

Your point just seems to be that graphics and presentation don't matter at all, which isn't an argument I'm really interested in having with you tbh. I just think you genuinelly don't get what is I'm trying to explain to you cause it's not about graphics at all.

What I'm trying to show you is how the algorithm is eliminating artification brought on by stretching the image past it's native res. Stuff that did not exist in the 90s version. It's about preserving the art. Not graphics. Not gameplay. You are talking about random bollox that has nothing to do with rf's video.

I'll leave it at that tbh.

I know I'm going to regret this but @one-armed dwarf is right, a 480p image (assuming FF7 even was that) stretched out on a 1080p or 4k screen is going to look worse. For one, each pixel drawn has to cover more pixels on the display, but also CRT televisions used to help blur the pixels in a way that modern displays don't. I'm guessing this mod fills in some of the gaps between pixels to reduce the aliasing and cover over the missing detail

fwiw I don't generally mind my retro games on a 1080p screen, I kind of like them looking chunky. I did play my Saturn through composite on my 4k and it looked awful, really washed out. When I get rid of my 1080p screen from the front room eventually I'll have to pick up some sort of upscaler because it looked too shit

I'm saying I just play games. You make allowances for the age of the game and adjust accordingly. Algorithms, aliasing and native resolutions are superfluous to just playing the damn thing. Again, it's "gamer vs. graphics whore". Someone growing up on the practicality of consoles as opposed to PC gaming.

3 minutes ago, OCH said:

I'm saying I just play games. You make allowances for the age of the game and adjust accordingly. Algorithms, aliasing and native resolutions are superfluous to just playing the damn thing. Again, it's "gamer vs. graphics whore". Someone growing up on the practicality of consoles as opposed to PC gaming.

it really, really isn't. I'd also point out that consoles are an arms race themselves, and not only does the Pro have its own built in upscaler, so did the base PS4 for retro games, the PS3, the PS2, even the Dreamcast could output a higher resolution than the game was creating. It's not graphics whores, it's technology, stop acting superior, you're not the only person who played a NES ffs

This isn't a case of "acting superior" at all.. But whatever.  

Someone has cleaned up REmake as well

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resident-evil-hd-remake-ai-background-upscaled-mod-released.97505/

On a 1080p set those old Gamecube assets still look really really good, but I must admit I noticed a little grunge playing on 4k just a few weeks ago. But it's one of the games which holds up pretty well.

I wonder if somebody will try this on that Onimusha remaster just released.

An interesting fact I learned in that thread is that RE0 remaster doesn't need this treatment cause Capcom managed to keep the original HD development assets from 2002 and didn't need to reverse engineer grubby GameCube stuff off disc

244023FC31B7BCD43F1F9E925E94B62595A30424

This is how the game was designed back in the GameCube days, even when our TVs couldn't do HD.

I wonder with all the current interest if and when someone will run the AI on RE2, the old one.

What @DANGERMAN said about CRT stuff looking bad on LCD/LED TV's. There's a fundamental difference in the way they display. We've gone from lines to dots. It might not seem like a lot, but it's a big difference. This is before you start factoring in the aspect change too, 4/3 to 16/9 and 50/60hz are another spanner in the works when it comes to muddying the image of older stuff. Not just games either. Everything.

At least there's a global standard now with ratios and whatnot, we've future proofed ourselves a bit there, I think.

There's been a few phrases that have become prominent this gen that I've grown to hate... "Switch port when" is pretty much the biggest one.