passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DS Homebrew thread

Hendo

So, you've bought this emulator/homebrew piece of kit and it's all nice and that, but I want to know about the legal stuff.

Give us a run-down of the homebrew games and apps that's worth getting or avoiding.

Please?

Ta.

:kiss:

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well so far I have Darkstar and Wordup.

Darkstar is a laugh, its paint, minesweeper and tictactoe in one software package, pointless yet funky!

word up is like tetris mixed with boggle mixed with scrabble, and surprisngly bloody good fun.

both are basic and lacking in features as most homebrew titles.

more to follow.....

Here's what I use.

DSOrganise - An organizer with calendar and day functions. Also a calculator, IRC, and file browser.

DSDoom - A port of the PC game DOOM.

Beup - An MSN messenger client.

DSaim - An AIM client.

NDSmail - An email client.

Phidias - A picture editor.

Pictoblog - A program which allows you to draw pictures and then post them on blogs.

Blubb3D - A Battleship like game with an online lobby and stat tracker.

As far as Homebrew Apps are concerned, everyone seemed to have forgot "Moonshell" for playing videos on your DS. And with the proper converting software (BatchDPG), the video quality is quite excellent for its small size. I compressed an entire show (that I legally own on DVD) last night (about 1,5 hours of video) under about 140Mb, and it plays like a dream with great image quality, good framerate and ok sound (The DS can't handle more than 32000 Hrtz in Stereo).

Oh, and there's also a DS port of SCUMMVM, which allows to run your old LucasArts point-and-click adventure games (that you legally own) on your DS.

And while it's exclusive to my cart (G6 lite 4g) - there is a great PDA-type organiser built-in, with event calendar, notepad, address book, dictionary (that even SPEAKS the words you click on), etc...

There is also applications that allows you to control your PC from a distance through Wi-Fi, and one that controls your Winamp playlists anywhere in your house through Wi-Fi too.

And there are countless of homebrew apps and games that I haven't tried yet...

relmatos wrote:

I'm waiting for R4DS to arrive on the mail and I was wondering.

Is there any homebrew for reading comics?(*.cbz and *.cbr) I could use something like that when I go to bed.

Actually if there is that would make me want one alone i have tonnes of manga in cbr files sitting around but cant be arsed sitting at my pc reading it.

Yes there is a COMICBOOK-DS I've not tired it yet, so im not totally sure on the file type, think its uses its own (.cbbc or .cbr) but it can convert .pdf and other comic file types so it should work. I know the sci-fi channel heroes comic works as its been mentioned on a forum.

Noize We didn't meantion Moonshell as its comes on the R4 as standard

moggymatt wrote:

Noize We didn't meantion Moonshell as its comes on the R4 as standard

Well, yeah, with the G6 lite too, but still. It's worth mentionning, I guess. I mean, for someone who don't have a flashcard, it's good to know.

And until someone figures a way for the DS to play GBA homebrew from the slot-1 (as there's still plenty of interesting homebrew stuff on the GBA), I'll stick with my Slot 2 based G6 lite... :P

pickled wrote:

and i'm currently trying to convert all my family guy to ds format for portable peter griffin goodness

yay

OMFG, I totally forgot about that!! Family Guy+ South Park= Hilarious Journey To Wales This Friday

Lemme know how the quality is after you've converted them bro

mynameis wrote:

can u change the skins/theme on DSOrganise? And why doesnt the browser work ?

Yes You can, I've downloaded a few Icon Packs/Themes I got them off the R4 Forums

Also..

Some Guy on The R4 Forum has put a Pack together With all the homebrew you'll ever need all patched and ready to go! It also includes all System software and everything you need to make/convert movies to .dpg There's lots of good stuff in this download, lots of homebrew games and all the applications you need! Including the game Centy has recommended! It does also include some Emualtors, which DS-WiiFi does not condone the use of ROmz or illegal game images.

You can get the pack here LINKY I'd recommend it to Anyone whose got an R4, as it saves a lot of messing about! If your new to all this its a great help!

SensitiveDS is a puzzle game that aint half bad for all you homebrew junkies get it HERE

Also the WiFi Voice chat client in the R4 application pack is ace and works a treat, its also got a scribble pad in the room too! There's tons of chat rooms, but not so many people in them :-(