passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Crow Hearts

Hendo

For those who have been here a while (and give a shit), this is the final name of my band.

We're playing our first gig this Thursday which I'm looking forward to but also bricking it, quite frankly.

We've been rehearsing our mammoth 90 minute (!) set, and have filmed everything. I'm uploading to youtube as I go. The camera was plonked in the middle of the room and only gets the drummer and a little bit of me (which is nice). To be honest we only used it to piece together our set and time ourselves.

Here's 2 new tracks to start with then.

Black Lung

Named after the original name of the band and our set opener. The closest we come to being a rock band.

Come On In

Another new tune and it cuts off at the end as live we'll launch straight into a Lemonheads cover.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprisingly - Pretty good. I say surprisingly because I'm so used to seeing unsigned bands that are unsigned for a good reason. I used to review music for Motive Sounds and some of the stuff I had to listen to was dire.

First of all, congrats on The Smashing Pumpkins posters, fuckin ace.

Right then: Black Lung, I enjoyed the darker bass/drum from the introduction and bridges, but I found that once the melody kicked in, it lost a bit of it's motion. The vocals were shaky but I can see how this could revolve around the over-standing bass and maybe even sound (Shock, horror) original in its own right.

Come On In: The melodic introduction is fine, the break is a little predictable but I enjoyed the structure, also the harmonies (Although, again, slightly shaky, this could be down to acoustics and recording quality though in all fairness).

Each Without Mercy: My least favourite song so far. I found it a little plodding and, again, unpredictable, though it's held together well, and ironically the vocals fit this track more than the others.

The guitar licks actually remind me of Low's later stuff, albeit not as manically depressive. More of an uplifted bass/guitar than the mormons.

Fallen: Loved the drum introductions and the guitar/bass kick in, really well done. Quite a good structure overall to be honest and definitely my favourite song out of these I've listened to. Still not sure about the vocals though, but thats just my personal preference I think. Slightly muffled and all that. Sounds a bit like a Ghost trapped in a wall. I reckon this'd be sorted out either Live or recorded good and proper.

Altogether though, I've actually sat and listened to four songs in full, and for a band to get me to do that is a large achievement in itself, even if it does look like I'm criticising. Saying that, there's not much point on me saying "FuCK YEH YOUSE ARE AwesSOME!12!!" when I didn't think that, because I'm not that kinda bitch homie.

P.S: I thought Matt Lucas had given up the drumming since Shooting Stars? Har.

Cheers for the feedback sly, more valued than you can imagine! Though you must be hearing things, as there's no harmonies on the practice vids! And it's not the audio quality that's muffling the vocals, the PA we're using is shit. We're still tweaking all the songs, right up to the gig tomorrow. Early days, eh. Only one more vid to upload and that's a half serious cover of Sweet Child of Mine.

It was a very good gig, band were a bit nervous but well who can blame them, btw i would like to point out that this was a very ahem personal gig in the sense there was no stage, the lead guitarist was sat at teh end of the table we were on Ryan (the singer) was about 1 arms length away from the missus,

A few mistakes more noticable beacuse the respective band member who had made said mistake pulled a funny face.

Sound lvls where a bit scetchy really but that couldnt really be helped (drumkit was un mic'd and pa struggled to conver vocals over it sometimes).

The 1st set was more of a rocky set even though there wasnt a single note of distortion used , the order of the songs flowed quite well with only a few tweaks needed i think for future gigs, however they did in this set make there ahem school boy error which i will come to in a moment

2nd set was a more laid back set with slower more country/blues style songs

pacing on the songs was once again v good, and at the one part of the gig i noticed some ppl sagging (one number the name escapes me went on a little long it seemed) they through in a well written upbeat funny blues number which made everyone in the room smile, nice finishing song with a cover of sweet child of mine using the mandolin for the lead

Then it was time for the encore and once again i look back at the school boy error, the did a cover in the 1st set that for everyone who saw that gig will always raise a smile ... and may unfortunatly haunt this band for ... well at least every gig i go to (as i will request it every time).

The verse was slow and bluesy done with jsut the right amount of tounge inserted firmly in cheek, the chorus was done in fasat punk style (rememeber there accoustic) they covered the song in a way i have never heard before... what song ppl may ask well Mr H can tell you sometime (or prehaps post the vid)

Overall great gig well done Mr Hendo i will stalk you band as religilous as a full time job wife and baby will allow

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thought I'd do an update as we got our most recent tracks back from the studio.

Added a new member (Hazel) for vocals (on Fallen only so far) and the mandolin player/lead guitarist couldn't make it so I had to blag my way through the electric guitar parts.

Fallen

Come On In

Runaway

For Her Sake

For Her Sake is written for a friend of mine, he knows who he is and what it's about, and that's all I can say.

Hope Oli finds his way here as I know he likes the band.

Dude, I've just listened to all of these tracks. I admit I hadn't pad much attention before, but listening to these tracks now, I'm really impressed. A nice lot of variation there, and real good quality. I liked all the tracks. For Her Sake is pretty emotional. Top stuff, more like this, please!

Cheers Ed!

To be honest, I considered not putting Runaway up as we all hate the recording - it's too fast and too sloppily played.

Quite proud of Fallen though.

Incidentally, anyone in the area (that's all 3 of you) may be interested in coming to our gig this Thursday in the Golden Lion in Wrexham.

I can't promise a good band, but I can promise you'll hear something roughly sounding like music.