passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Puzzle Quest

Hendo

This is an RPG.

No, really - it is.

Basically, you start out by picking your type of character (Wizard, Druid, Knight, etc) and then the story begins.

I've no idea how different the story will be depending on what type of character (or sex) you choose (I can't even remember which type I chose, but I know it was female :)) and you're sent by your mother to go and see your father to do your first quest and you're away.

The characters and enemies are very medieval-esque and the music too is very typical of RPG's - sweeping and all that.

You have a map of the whole area and you start out at this castle with lines branching out of where you can go - the map is moveable by using the stylus (like Ouenden and EBA).

So, you have to attack your first enemy (say, a skeleton for example) and you play bejewelled instead of fighting.

Yes, you read that right.

Instead of normal fights, you play bejewelled or zookeeper or Meteos (depending on whatever you know best). Each different colour will add to your mana or anything else that can up your ability to use spells (honestly) against your opponent whilst in battle. Line up some skulls and you can attack your opponent's health bar direct.

Like normal RPG's this has a shop that you can buy stuff, a tavern for rumours (some free, some not), gold as your money, levelling up, etc.

It's a RPG in every possible way, it just happens to have a puzzle section of fighting instead of what you normally do.

I've only played it for a few hours late last night but I'm level 7 I think and although it's quite hard, it's very good.

As we all know, RPG's and me don't mix (bar LostMagic and the Mario ones) so at the mo I'm enjoying this as a puzzle game but the RPG system may well get me interested further into it.

It's too early for me to say how essential this is, but so far it's pretty good.

Phew.

Well I'm up to level 11 now, and I have to say it's very addictive stuff!

You see, I play puzzle games with no real thought process, just moving shit around as I see fit (part of the reason, no, the only reason I'm shit at Lumines) but you have to play this with a lot of thinking.

Even though you play the puzzle bits one on one, you're playing in turns, so it's best to think hard about your move before you do it.

There's no time limit so you can spend ages planning your move. This is recommended as the spells consist of using maths.

Ok, I'll explain - you've got skulls which attack your opponent direct, gold to give you gold (surprisingly) and purple things which will give you more EXP.

The other main colours go into mana.

A spell I like using makes your opponent miss his next move (very useful) and in order to make it work, you need 5 of one colour and 6 of another - so you have to get lots of those colours in order to use it.

Not sure if I'm explaining myself properly, maybe I'll make a video and explain it better.

I'm playing this, it's addictive stuff indeed.

Currently at Level 7, I'm still figuring out the spells and how they work, but I worked out that the skulls are direct hit etc. I like the way you get an extra go for making four or more in a row. I can tell that this is a tactical game, and you definitely have to think between moves. The music is great too, very atmospheric. It does get a bit repetitive, though.

Also, playing through the quick play mode still builds up your character, so it's an excellent game to just switch on for a couple minutes if you don't have time to fully immerse yourself.

Anyways, if you like your puzzle games, and fancy a slight twist on the bejeweled / Zoo Keeper flavour, give this a try! £14.99 at some online retailers, too.

Oh yeah, it's IGN's game of the month. http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/777/777581p1.html

Yeah, I LOL'd quite hard when I saw that Penny-Arcade strip!

This game is superb, and so addictive. I am now a Level 13 Warrior, it's quite a tactical game that requires a bit of thought, but at the same time not a lot is at risk as you can always play the 'fight' again. I've bought a couple buildings for my Citadel, and currently have a trained Rat by my side to help out. I've been awarded the Bartonian Knight rank, aswell.

HERE is the official Puzzle Quest forums, with input from the developers.

What are you stuck on, Hendo?

Got past the vampire bat now and I'm a level 15 knight (actually just a handleful of exp shy of level 16).

I wonder how different the story is and where you start depending on your chosen carreer - my main town is called Bartonia, is yours the same Ed?

The map is massive too - it's gonna take a while to finish I think.

I haven't played it since I last posted, so you're a higher level than me now!

Yeah, my main town is Bartonia. I am (w)Ankor, the Warrior. I have the Bartonian Knight award for defeating the five trainers, and received a +2 battle for my efforts. Yes, the map is rather large, isn't it! The Levels go up to 50, so it should be a lengthy game.

I'm a bit further now, level 17 with quite a few parts of my Citadel built, no idea what it's for though.

I've forged a few runes (apparently) but the ogre I have to kill to get them is continually kicking my ass.

Now I'm past the stumbling block and I've got the new runes though I've no idea what I have to do with them or what purpose they serve.

I'm now stuck on a bit where I can capture an Orc but it means doing this special puzzle section and I just can't do it.

I've beefed up my Citadel and I've only got a small ammount left to do with it.

Level 18 now.

:)

It is very addictive! I passed on the Orc I could've captured and instead beat his ass. However I came across another Orc and didn't have a problem capturing him.

I think I've forged a load of items, researched a load of spells but I have no idea what any of it means - as long as I can keep puzzling away I'll be a happy bunny.

Only a couple of things left to build in my citadel, shame I only have 20 gold left.

Up to level 19!

You got any further Ed?

I'm up to level 22 and have captured 2 citadels and I have a flying mount, or whatever the hell it is, or indeed, what it does as I have no clue.

Nor do I know what the orc I captured does.

Have you uncovered much on the map?

I think I've just been level grinding constantly as I've not uncovered much else. Mind you, the last bit of "story" I had was a while ago - I was told to accompany (sp) some guy with his prisoner (possibly) but I haven't seen him for a while.

Maybe I should do some new quests.

Hi - sorry for the hi-jack but I'm playing this game too but have a couple of questions I thought you might know the answer to.

On the battle screen, there are % of each mana colour - but they never change from 0%. What are these for?

Also, is it worth searching for the runes to forge new items?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

No need to apologise for the hijack, welcome to the site!

Good to have someone else to chat to about this fine game.

I've no idea what the runes do, sorry, maybe Ed knows?

Also, I have no idea about the percentage thing!

How far have you got?

I'm afraid I can't answer those questions. I have no idea why the percentages don't rise from 0%. Also, I have only forged one item, and wasn't sure exactly how it works, so I'm about as clueless as you!

As for how I am now, well I haven't played it since I last posted. So you're a fair bit ahead of me Hendo. I haven't done much grinding at all, though.

Welcome to the site, Wootton. Take a look around, and stick a post up in the introductions thread in Off Topic is you so wish. :)

Thanks for the welcome :)

I'm on level 27 - so I should really know what I'm doing by now lol.

This game is sooo additcive!