passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Flipper Critters

illdog

Even the fact that this was my first wack typewriter font spine in giant EUR case wasnt enough to quash my excitement when trying to get the fucking selophane of this game.

Ok, so this is a pinball game, but also an adventure. You play the role of Tiger (a budding hero) and the pinball is his best friend, Monkey. The tables are villages and are normally three screen affairs. Each village leads to another village (a map is supplied) so you can make your way through the world at will.

Basically you spank monkey (lol) around the table to achieve certain objectives on your current mission. For example, after scaring away a giant Dragons lunch and being told if I dont bring her something tastey for desert she'll eat ME, I had to visit various villages collecting fruit and hitting the ball into townsfolk to get other types of food. This has taken me on a huge tour thats seen the game turn into a shoot em up TWICE and i've had to bugger around in the sea driving a submarine.

On top of all this, you use the touch screen to clear obstacles, flip ramps, lift jumps, open doors and on one occasion so far launch the ball from one screen to the other. I thought at first this was an unnecasary complication but I think it works well. Holding the ball with one of the flippers free's up a hand see, and you never have to activate a touch function whilst the ball is zipping about.

Quite a uniquegame and so far a very enjoyable one. The only gripe so far are the graphics. Whilst colourful and jolly, they are a bit garrish, especially in the blur of motion and they can take a bit of getting used to.

Otherwise, good stuff and its at budget price too.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems im the only person in the world who has this.

Im about 6 hours in, which is about halfway through the story mode. Im currently on the moon (yea!) and i have to find my way back to Earth to help pay off a huge debt the earthlings owe our Lunar brethren. So i have to use my trusty flippers to spank monkey around the table to activate a rocket which will fly me back to Earth so I can get money off the people in the various villages.

This is a tough old game, its certainly one pinball veterans will appreciate. Precise aiming is required most of the time and keeping your ball stock (or monkeys lives) up is tough, as points are distributed in stingy proportions. Very enjoyable tho and immensly satisfying when you complete a mission.

I'll have to create my own gameplay video just to show you what the hell you have to do, as Youtube, like the rest of the world, seems to know fuck all about this game. They only have the trailers, no missions being performed as such.