passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sonic and the Secret Rings

DANGERMAN

Il Postino delvered this nice and early today, I've only spent about an hour on it so far (if that) and it seems relievingly good.

The CGI graphics are brilliant, but unfortunately most of the story is told as a book, this looks alright in its self, but the atmosphere is ruined my a full voice dub and a giant subtitle box.

Theres a weird rpg element to it too, where you get exp points at the end of each level and can unlock skills. It tooka few minutes to get used to the sensitivity of the remote, but by the time i'd done the tutorial I'd pretty much got it down.

The only problem I've had so far is with the jump button. In past sonic games you jump as soon as you press the button, the longer you keep it pressed down the higher you jump. This time though you dont jump until you release the button, which is counter intuitive. You can tell it's something you'll just get used to, but it means that the game is less about reactions and more about looking ahead.

Oh, and you actually do have to brake in some parts, its not just a novelty.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still put off by the voice acting I've seen (though apparently you can change to Japanese voices, at least on the American version anyway).

I'll probably pick it up anyway, but I'm interested to see how you get on with it by the end of the weekend.

Mine arrived just as I got home, great timing Postie.

Ive just done the tutorial so far and straight away I see what Bens means about the jump, hoping I get used to that quick smart. Controller seems suitably sensitive when tilting and the graphics are purty. Music is complete arse tho.

Oh, and yes Hendo, you can change the voice acting to Japanese - recommended.

And its comes packaged with a decent spine from the off! Hoorah!

Got to say I'm really enjoying it. It reminds me of Sonic R (stay with me), obviously where the camera is, and that you're tied to a route more than a normal Sonic game. But the joy of it comes from repeating levels, helped because they're so short, to get medels and those Fire token things (what do they do?)

I couldn't do any of the unlocked moves for a while, particularly the boost start, turns out you have to turn them on on the ring equip screen :blush: Also there's a few levels on the early stages that I still cant unlock, unless you need to get medals and Fire things on each stage

I want this.

The short level nature of the game appeals to me, and being able to re-run the level for extras sounds good. Could you tell me, are the mini-games any good? NGamer seemed impressed by them, but ONM weren't.

Anyone know the cheapest place to get it, in the overworld? I'm guessing ASDA.

Not tried them yet, but I noticed I unlocked one while playing through the single player, hopefully there's enough unlocked from the off and we're not reliving Warioware.

The short levels really give it a 'one more go' factor, but as they get longer later in the game that might not last. I'd definately say it's one of the better Wii games so far

Im finding this very frustrating. Sonic games are all about speed yet the courses are strewn with annoyances that prohibits fluidity. It might be something that gets better with time but the jump is still annoying the fuck out of me, as is the fact that you have to shove the Wiimote forward to do a boost jump when a tap of the A button would have sufficed.

Jurys still out but in the meantime im back on Excite Truck.

I really like it. Like i said t reminds me of Sonic R, the way you have to learn the levels and repeat them to get the most out of it, that way the jump button isnt quite so much of an issue too.

That said I cant beat that fairy in a race. There's a cactus I cant get around, nor time right to jump over. Maybe I just need to come back once I've levelled up

I feel like giving it another go, but right now I have the urge to 100% Koroinpa and Excite Truck.

Where the hell did the RPG-esque levelling system come into it?

I thought this game was all about thrills and spills, yet the levels are pretty short, the acceleration is too slow (I know, I know - you have to level up to get faster) and it's not the "return to form" that it should be.

Take out the levelling system and make it more full of the set-pieces so you feel like you're on a rollercoaster ride and the game would be top notch.

I don't want depth in a Sonic game! Yet they seem to be trying to pile depth in and at the moment it doesn't seem to fit.

Having blasted the shit out of Excite Truck and getting my first go of Kororinpa out the way, Sonic has found his way back in my Wii.

So me and this game have had a moment now. Upon playing it again suddenly im finding the controls more responsive, the jump no longer feels such an issue as before and over all..... im enjoying it.

I agree with whats been said so far, it is a bit of a memory thing and once you know whats coming up obviously its alot easier.

I agree with the level design comment Hendo, in fact its something i was thinking about on my way to work this morning...

It something that had aslways been Sonics problem I think, it almost contradicts itself in terms of gameplay in the way that it hurtles you along at 1000 mph, shoves you round a blind corner and into an enemy - im all for having my reactions tested but first I must have a chance to react.

I appreciate these flaws are ironed out once you have learnt the level, I personally just find it makes the journey a whole lot more frustrating than it needs to be.

On the positive side this game gets better and better the more you level up. You can customise Sonic abilities in movement and speed, and once a little more powered up the earlier levels that you may have at first struggled with become a doddle.

I've just fought and defeated the first boss and am now about to start the Dinosaur World.

I kind of see where Hendo and illdog are coming from, and maybe it's just that im a bit more levelled up than they are, but i'm not really finding any of it a chore. I dont like the levels where you get chased by tricerortops (sp) purely because at the minute Sonic's a bit slow.

I've got the Time and Speed break skills now, I was hoping one of them would help me with a stage I'm struggling with, but neither have.

Unfortunately I'm suffering 'post big game syndrome' and just cant seem to force myself to sit in front of a game for any period of time, so even tho I am enjoying this, I'm taking my sweet time about it