passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Podcasts

Phooey

I prefer a bit of cynicism. Probably because I’m like that with games for the most part too. 

On a slight change of subject Dave is back on TCGS!!! Thank god! It’s so much more interesting and funnier with him on it, already laughed more at the latest episode than I have since he took his break. Need a bit of friction and bullshit calling so much better and more like a real group of mates again. If there’s any proof you need a bit of cynicism with this type of stuff just listen to Matt on TCGS, he’s so far up games companies arses sometimes it’s really hard to listen to. 

A poor part of being critical to me is when a journalist with zero knowledge of how to make a game rips apart a particular element to a game and lays down how it should be done by just saying that another dev did it right so why hasn't this one managed it etc, like all companies have equal opportunities, tech and support.

I wanted Dave to be angrier if anything @mfnick but it is good. Sean was ok but it really grates me when he talks for 3 minutes with a valid point / just his opinion then ends everytime with "So yeah, I don't know."

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So I don't really listen to very many podcasts or very often. But with my current set up, while whittling away the bosses of Dark Souls through my headphone enabled Switch, I've started rotating between the two podcasts I listen to. One is a serial killer podcast (not really on topic here), the other is a gaming one. Let's Fight a Boss on YouTube. 

The current one talks about FF 7 Remake (among other things). The FF7 talk mirrors a lot of my thoughts on Nomura's adaptation and as of this podcast, none of them have finished yet, so I expect that ending won't go unremarked in the next episode. I first got into this via John aka Super Eyepatch Wolf, on his regular more anime-focused channel. Niamh is funny and Bryan is very weird and endearing. John is really into wrestling too, so if that floats your boat, you'll get a kick out of that too.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The other day in TLoU thread I was shit talking Troy Baker because in his Let’s Play of TLoU he talks with such pretentious wankery I found it almost unwatchable. That I stand by. However I’ve started listening to Play, Watch, Listen podcast that he’s on and it’s actually excellent, and Troy is really good on it. He is actually really insightful and cognisant about the game business in interesting ways and really knows his shit. He still sometimes talks with that air of naval gazing asshole but for the most part it’s really toned down and I’m enjoying the podcast.

The rest of the people on it are just as if not even more interesting than Troy but I felt like I had to walk what I said about him back a bit. In that specific Let’s Play Troy is kind of excruciatingly embarrassing to listen too but for whatever reason on the podcast that side only rears its head sometimes and for the most part he is a really good contributor to insider video game talk.

I really want to start finding more podcasts that actually have game developers on than game pundits. I’ve always really enjoyed the Giant Bomb after shows with developers, that lead me to really enjoying some GDC presentations and now I think that’s the content I actually want to listen too. 

I just love video games and hearing people who actually know how they work and what goes into making them actual is really interesting to me. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...