passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Books

pickled

Since my last post I've finished Death in Midsummer by Yukio Mishima, Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges and White Nights by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I wouldn't call Death in Midsummer a classic but there are some wonderful evocative stories in it, particularly "The Seven Bridges". Labyrinths is mostly made up of Borges' brilliant short story collection "Fictions", as well as some essays and writings that give you a good insight into his writing and how his mind works. At first the stories can seem incomprehensible, but the more you read the more you can understand and appreciate his writing, and the overall effect is quite moving. White Nights is a great collection of stories by Dostoesvky, including the long story Notes from Underground. I wouldn't recommend it over Crime and Punishment but it's well worth reading.

So yeah, three collections of stories in a row. I still have the three books I borrowed from Tralee library, currently reading Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, which has been excellent so far. Today I borrowed three more books when I returned White Nights - Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway and Distant Star by Roberto Bolano, so six books borrowed at the moment. Plenty to keep me going.

• 2 weeks later...

I most recently finished Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

It's a weird enjoyable part science fiction tale - part autobiographical - part author's reflection on war and the fire bombing of Dresden in 1945.

The hero of the story is a man who finds himself "adrift in time" finding himself experiencing different periods in his life, with no control of where or when these episodes will happen. This basically manifests in the book as a non-linear narrative, jumping between several time periods of the main character's life.

The author breaks the 4th wall at times, making comments and even interjects to call out where he's inserted himself into the story at a certain point.

It's all a little weird, occasionally confusing, but thought provoking and enjoyable.

I finished The First Fifteen Lives Of Harry August by Clare North is an excellent science fiction novel about a man who lives the same life over and over again. He's born, lives and dies and is then born again back in the time and place he wad first born, but with the memories of his previous lives intact.

Thanks again for recommending this. I'm finishing it up now and it's been great. First book in a long time that I've not wanted to end.

• 3 weeks later...

Since my last post I have finished A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway, Distant Star by Roberto Bolano, Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and today Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

I read A Moveable Feast and Distant Star in one or two sittings, two short books and very enjoyable. Half of a Yellow Sun is a long book about various characters in the Biafran War, it's mildly interesting but drags on. I read those three books ages ago really, over a month ago.

Cloud Atlas is a nice book. I'm not sure about the middle section that starts and ends with An Orison of Sonmi, but I enjoyed the rest. How they made a movie out of it I have no idea (I haven't seen it).

Ive been re-reading some Terry Pratchett again, and started on a new one, although im not sure its the newest one. Snuff is the name of it, if anyone follows the Discworld novels its set around Sam Vimes from the Nightwatch. Its been good to get back into them actually, I loved them when I was getting into my teens and read pretty much every single one that was out up until a point where I went off them but they are well written in general and Snuff is no exception, its very good so far.

Ive been re-reading some Terry Pratchett again, and started on a new one, although im not sure its the newest one. Snuff is the name of it, if anyone follows the Discworld novels its set around Sam Vimes from the Nightwatch. Its been good to get back into them actually, I loved them when I was getting into my teens and read pretty much every single one that was out up until a point where I went off them but they are well written in general and Snuff is no exception, its very good so far.

I think I've read that one, but don't remember much about it. I've enjoyed the last few years' Discworld books a lot, as they've tended to feature Vimes an the city watch quite heavily.

I re-read the first 2 books recently: The Colour Of Magic and The Light Fantastic. It's nearly 20 years since I last read them, and had a memory of them being more a parody of fantasy genre tropes than a story in their own right. But, they're a lot better than my memory gave the credit for. Pratchett's writing style has improved for sure, and theres a lot of sillines, but they do lay the groundwork for the rest of the Discworld series really well.

I love those two books, ive read them a few times after a period of time and agree, after reading later entries in the series you feel like they are going to be full of parody but it surprises me how almost traditionally fantasy they are. I love Rincewind too, its weird that I have such long breaks from reading Discworld books as they are all great and I always enjoy them when I read them. It will be a huge loss when Pratchett goes, but I think his daughter is helping him write a lot of the later ones.

• 2 months later...

I just finished The 39 Steps. It stands up fairly well as a man-on-the-run espionage thriller, despite being a century old this year. It's still worth a read.

I'm pretty sure I read this when I was at school, but absolutely nothing came back to me as I was reading, so perhaps I was getting it confused with something else.

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes when I read you guy's posts I have to bite my lip. Never ever change, I like it like this.

Like Megan Fox does, right?

Anyone read Peter F Hamilton's Nights Dawn trilogy? I'm half way through the second book and my god it is amazing! He is a genius.

So many complex strands, all so beautifully interwoven. Still utterly compelling, despite each book topping 1200 pages. So many words...

I also read Ben Goldacres Bad Science - essential reading!

I'll have a go at that next. I've just finished up all the current Song of Fire and Ice books. So much written about so little happening. Good food descriptions, although not many nips.

I'm currently reading Player of Games by Iain M Banks. I read the first culture novel book a few years ago and found it very hard work, this one isn't any easier if I'm honest..

Read Madame Bovary by Flaubert and Room by Emma Donoghue.

I enjoyed Madame Bovary but I suppose like a lot of "classics" nowadays, it's not the most exciting read in the world. So I spent three months reading it on and off.

Room is excellent. I wouldn't want to spoil the story but it's a really powerful book.

I most recently finished The Beggar and The Hare by Tuomas Kyrö
It's a Finnish novel about an impoverished Romanian man named Vatanescu who is trafficked to Finland by a criminal gang to work as a beggar.

He escapes this fate and with the company of an injured rabbit that he rescues, travels the country meeting a range of people and becoming a bit of a folk hero. It's a lovely, quirky story about Europe, capitalism and the kindness of strangers. I suppose it's little bit like Forrest Gump in some ways.

• 3 weeks later...

The Little Old Lady Who Struck Lucky Again by Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg.

'The [Person] Who [Does Something]' title format is quickly becoming a cliché because publishers have no imagination and jump on the bandwagon of any book that becomes popular, but this is a sequel to one of the books that helped start the bandwagon so I guess it gets a pass.

It's a follow-up to Swedish OAP crime caper The Little Old Lady Who Broke All The Rules. It's a little far-fetched, but funny and charming. I enjoyed being along for the ride.

I finished Heart of Darkness last week. It's still a fantastic book but it is a slightly awkward read. It's told by someone listening to a story told by someone else, who is in turn talking in recollections. There's speech marks all over the place so what's speech and what isn't can get a bit lost.

It's also weird that the 2 things that pull from it dwell on concepts the book doesn't spend a lot of time on. It's like you come out of it with a fuller story than is actually told

Since then I've been reading The Martian, which is pretty good so far. It's about an astronaut who gets stranded on Mars, and it's better than it sounds

• 3 weeks later...

I go through a lot of books, both in audio format, and written. I rarely post about books because I go through so many, but I've just finished one that I have to mention and recommend. It's one of those few books that really touch something inside you, and make you think outside of the box. It's called One Second After by William R. Forstchen.

The novel deals with an unexpected electromagnetic pulse attack on the United States as it affects the people living in and around the small American town of Black Mountain, North Carolina. The main character of the story is John Matherson, a professor of history at the local Christian College, and a retired U.S. Army Colonel. We find that he was in line for promotion to General, but resigned his commission to care for his terminally ill wife, and had moved to Black Mountain his late wifes native town. The widowed father has two daughters, the youngest having type one diabetes.

When the attack happens, everything electrical stops working, as is the nature of electromagnetic pulses, with the exception of some few primitive electronic devices, and a few older vehicles that have no modern computers assisting with engine management, etc. John, as ex military, becomes something of a leader in a town that has been all but thrown back a couple of centuries technology wise. The book details how in the modern era, few people know how to do the basic things, such as get food. Medicine is in short supply, as we have become used to almost daily deliveries in modern pharmacies. As his daughter needs insulin to live, John's first thing is to go to the drug store and convince the pharmacist to give him the drug. He has trouble storing it as insulin needs to be refrigerated.

What got me about this book is how the author details all the stuff we take for granted, and don;t think about. Water and sewerage being moved invisibly with electric pumps is an example. Fresh produce is always there, only because of working trucks delivering it. I was talking to my son about it, and he seemed to think that everything lost is in a book, and could be re-learned if it was needed. While he's right, I told him about my metalwork apprenticeship I had in the Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers, in the early 90's. I made a knife from scratch. Just a three inch bladed knife with a leather bound grip. I still have it. It's low carbon mild steel, and took three weeks of banging, grinding, quenching, and polishing to get a knife that while is sharp, is nothing much to look at. And I have to keep it covered in grease to stop rust. I told my son that having to relearn all that, then make dozens of scythes just to get the wheat in would be a monumental task for a group of small town dwellers who commute to the city to work usually.

Anyway, this book was fantastic. Very sad in places, as the small town tries to hold together, and feed everyone, and also defend against bandits. Pick it up if you see it.

• 3 weeks later...

Since then I've been reading The Martian, which is pretty good so far. It's about an astronaut who gets stranded on Mars, and it's better than it sounds

I'm about 50 percent through that right now, and really enjoying it.

I heard a film version is coming out this November which makes sense it's a strong story and seems fairly easily adaptable, but it could also just end up as a sci fi Apollo 13.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished The Martian and enjoyed it immensely. It's fast-moving and quite a page turner. I can see how it would be a good candidate for adaptation to film, do I hope the movie turns out well.

Then I read Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. It's creepy and excellent. The prose style is quite unusual and takes a little while to get used to, but after I got used to it I really enjoyed it. It stands up well for being over 50 years old.

Since re-reading The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic last year, I've continued re-reading the Discworld books, in chronological order. I finished The Last Continent. I remember thinking it was pretty weak at the time, and still think so now. It's probably one of the weakest of the series.

Read a few books since my last update. Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier, Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood, The Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri and More Pricks than Kicks by Samuel Beckett.

Cold Mountain is an evocative story about a man's dangerous journey back home during the American Civil War. Cat's Eye is about a woman reminiscing about her childhood and her childhood friends. Both novels are very long at over 400 pages.

The Lowland is a novel about two Indian brothers, in particular one brother who lives in America. It's a very good book although I wish there had been more in it about life in India, which the early part of the book focused on. The rest of the book didn't hold me as much.

More Pricks than Kicks is an early collection of stories by Beckett, and the first book I've read by him. I liked it a lot. His writing style and sense of humour are similar to Joyce. The stories are about the trials and tribulations of a character called Belacqua. I would put this book in a similar category to the writings of Joyce and Hermann Hesse.