Sign in to follow this  
pickled

Books

Reading "Restaurant At The End of the Universe" which is already influencing my own writing, read Donnie Brasco before that.

Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter

There seems to be a lot of those style books around at the moment - I have Pride and Prejudice and Zombies in my 'to read' pile.

I am reading World War Z at the moment. Its about a Zombie uprising and the aftermath told through interviews with survivors. Its really good and throws in a lot more details and scenarios than you usually get from zombie stories. I swear I am reading that many zombie books I will have no problem surviving the impending attack.

Have you read The Zombie Survival Guide" from the same author Stoobie? World War Z is on my to buy list, but I really enjoyed Zombie Survival Guide

I'm reading Belching out the Devil by Mark Thomas. I might have mentioned this before (the podcast?) but its basically an investigation into coke and their various industrial practices. There's a few funny stories in there but mostly it's about their employment record, child labour and using up all the water in drought possible areas in India

It's really interesting, and might stop me from buying coke again, but there arent any zombies in it :(

world war zed is a fantastic read. Must buy my own copy of it at some point. Still need to read the survival guide. Think Max Brooks has a new zombie book out soon.

I was going to buy Ayn Rand Atlus Shrugged today, but shamefully put it back because it's fucking huge.

Going to buy a Will Self book though, got a bit of a bus journey ahead of me at the weekend

I thought they stopped the window lickers outing because they kept escaping all the time. Where they taking you man? Sealife center at Blackpool again? ;)

I picked up Neal Stephenson's 'Anathem' as my next read on the commute to/from work. I've just had a quick flick through the pages... OMG what have I let myself in for. :o

The book starts with a reader's note detailing the major events of the 4 millenia history of the fictional civilisation, and ends with a glossary and appendix, plus it's nearly 1000 pages long. This shit is going to be dense.

Still, if it's anywhere as good as the Baroque Cycle and Cryptonomicon, it'll be worth it.

Still, if it's anywhere as good as the Baroque Cycle and Cryptonomicon, it'll be worth it.

:wub:

awesome books indeed

Anathem was awesome. I was sorry it had to end, I could happily have devoured another 900 pages (or more).

Looking at my pile of unread books, next up is probably going to be Drood.

I'm reading consider phlebas, by iain m banks. Had it a few years now, last time i tried to read it i couldn't get into it, this time I'm really enjoying it. It reminds me of Mass Effect a bit.

I just read The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. I don't read fantasy often, but this was rather good. I like it a lot, so much in fact, that I went and bought vol. 2 before I'd finished it.

Next is a toss up between Before They Are Hanged (the aforementioned vol. 2), The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland, or some Ellroy.

Also, I'm spring cleaning my bookshelves and have some to give away, for the price of postage:

Mass Effect: Revelation, Drew Karpyshyn can't find

Mass Effect: Ascension, Drew Karpyshyn can't find

American Gods, Neil Gaiman

Bye Bye Balham, Richard Herring

I Am Legend, Richard Matheson

Ghosts of Manhattan, George Mann

The Queen of Whale Cay, Kate Summerscale

Anathem, Neal Stephenson

World War Z, Max Brooks

Scar Tissue, Anthony Keidis

Is World War Z a comic graphic novel or regular book? Might be interested in that.

Ah, clicked the link, regular book. Yep, I'll wing you a some cash for that. :)

Is World War Z a comic graphic novel or regular book? Might be interested in that.

Ah, clicked the link, regular book. Yep, I'll wing you a some cash for that. :)

Cool. PM me an address, and I'll let you know how much the postage was.

I'll take I Am Legend. I listened to a BBC reading of it, which I'm hoping was abridged because it wasnt particularly great, but I've wanted to read it for a while

I'll take those Mass Effect books, I've heard they're not that good but if they're going for next to nowt then why not?

I'll take those Mass Effect books, I've heard they're not that good but if they're going for next to nowt then why not?

Sorry mate, I can't find these at the moment. The girlfriend's brother is staying over at the moment and he's turned the spare room into a fucking pig sty.

I'll keep you posted.