Sign in to follow this  
pickled

Books

Anyone else read the Dark Tower books? After seeing the film was out I thought I ought to see what all the fuss was about.

I won't bother with the film but I just started book 6 of the 7 and wow it is good. I haven't felt bored once! Unlike the endless walking of LotR, this is totally epic. Love it, love the characters and will be sad when it is over.

Some I have read in a few days, couldn't put them down. Others are far too long for me to achieve that.

Yeah I've read them all, probably my favourite book series. Wizard and the Glass was my favourite. I liked it the most when it was being meta and self referential.

I tried to watch the film and it was dog plop.

As I've been starting to feel better I've been trying to get into reading again. Also I really need to reduce my screen time and I figure it's not good to have hobbies which are just looking at blinding lights on LCDs all day when that's what my job is also, don't want to get early onset macular degeneration (if I don't already have it)

So I picked up the lightest read possible which is Christmas Carol on kindle. Not a lot to say about it really as every adaptation of it ever made is pretty much scene for scene. But it's good enough at putting the fear in you of not wasting your life as a miserable, lonely cunt at this time of year and resolve to do better with the time you've got left. Wonder if it's the reason we have NY resolutions.

I've also being trying to read something very different to that. Pourtnoy's Complaint by the late Phil Roth. It's about this neurotic guy complaining to his shrink about his upbringing or whatever. I've only read two chapters but the second one is called "Whacking off" and is a lengthy and very descriptive essay on wanking and includes some real literary gems which I'm afraid to print here but yea it sure is something. I'm just not sure it's something I can read the whole way through tho

I’ve always loved reading,but I’m struggling to read for pleasure at the moment. What with burying myself in a 20,000 word dissertation,I’m predominantly reading journals or articles.

My girlfriend got me “Ask an Astronaut” by Tim Peake for Xmas,which is really interesting. All about what it takes to become an astronaut,and what life in space is genuinely like. Fascinating. 

I got here “This is going to hurt” by Adam Kay,which I read in one sitting this summer. I literally couldn’t put it down,it was both hilarious,and moving. One of the best books I’ve ever read. The only other book ive binged in one session is The Martian,which was excellent from start to finish.

I got This Is Going To Hurt for my birthday and could not put it down either.

Got a couple of books for Christmas - The Games Console by Evan Amos (more photographic, with tear downs of famous consoles and controllers) and Nostalgia Nerd's Retro-Tech.