passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Books

pickled

• 2 months later...

Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter

There seems to be a lot of those style books around at the moment - I have Pride and Prejudice and Zombies in my 'to read' pile.

I am reading World War Z at the moment. Its about a Zombie uprising and the aftermath told through interviews with survivors. Its really good and throws in a lot more details and scenarios than you usually get from zombie stories. I swear I am reading that many zombie books I will have no problem surviving the impending attack.

I'm reading Belching out the Devil by Mark Thomas. I might have mentioned this before (the podcast?) but its basically an investigation into coke and their various industrial practices. There's a few funny stories in there but mostly it's about their employment record, child labour and using up all the water in drought possible areas in India

It's really interesting, and might stop me from buying coke again, but there arent any zombies in it :(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I picked up Neal Stephenson's 'Anathem' as my next read on the commute to/from work. I've just had a quick flick through the pages... OMG what have I let myself in for. :o

The book starts with a reader's note detailing the major events of the 4 millenia history of the fictional civilisation, and ends with a glossary and appendix, plus it's nearly 1000 pages long. This shit is going to be dense.

Still, if it's anywhere as good as the Baroque Cycle and Cryptonomicon, it'll be worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I just read The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. I don't read fantasy often, but this was rather good. I like it a lot, so much in fact, that I went and bought vol. 2 before I'd finished it.

Next is a toss up between Before They Are Hanged (the aforementioned vol. 2), The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland, or some Ellroy.

Also, I'm spring cleaning my bookshelves and have some to give away, for the price of postage:

Mass Effect: Revelation, Drew Karpyshyn can't find

Mass Effect: Ascension, Drew Karpyshyn can't find

American Gods, Neil Gaiman

Bye Bye Balham, Richard Herring

I Am Legend, Richard Matheson

Ghosts of Manhattan, George Mann

The Queen of Whale Cay, Kate Summerscale

Anathem, Neal Stephenson

World War Z, Max Brooks

Scar Tissue, Anthony Keidis

Is World War Z a comic graphic novel or regular book? Might be interested in that.

Ah, clicked the link, regular book. Yep, I'll wing you a some cash for that. :)

Cool. PM me an address, and I'll let you know how much the postage was.

I'll take those Mass Effect books, I've heard they're not that good but if they're going for next to nowt then why not?

Sorry mate, I can't find these at the moment. The girlfriend's brother is staying over at the moment and he's turned the spare room into a fucking pig sty.

I'll keep you posted.