passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Books

pickled

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

So I noticed in the book shop that there's a new Book of Dust out now. Has anyone read these new books?

I tried that first one that came out a few years ago and found it hard to get through, dropped it halfway in after a flood event or something. It's just they're on my mind a bit with this new His Dark Materials TV series coming out. I really remember loving those books when I was 14, but I'm unsure if they resonate as much at 30.

Spoiler

The other thing is the main character is all growed up in the new book, and I think it could be interesting to revisit childhood characters like that and see what they look like written as/for adults.

Tbh, I think I'm just asking this to @regemond and no one else here ?

I got the new one on release but haven't had the chance to read it yet, @one-armed dwarf. I've been tied up reading a wrestling biography before my Kindle Unlimited runs out and one I picked up in Budapest (would have been £20-something off amazon - got it for £7-odd!)

Speaking of... Crazy Like A Fox: The Definitive Chronicle of Brian Pillman 20 Years Later

This was an outstanding biography based on one of a bit of an enigma in the wrestling world. Brian Pillman invented the 'Loose Cannon' character, someone who intentionally acted crazy to build an aura around himself. To the point where even other wrestlers were questioning whether he'd legitimately lost it. Really interesting read about a wrestler I've never had much exposure to, and it definitely made me want to see more of him in the ring.

And... The Paul Street Boys

This was recommended by Rosie as a book she read when she was younger, and it's apparently really tough to get an English copy over here. Set in Budapest in 1907, it follows the titular Paul Street Boys, a teenage gang with a big rivalry against another gang. It's definitely a young adult novel, but it doesn't treat the audience as idiots. Absolutely heart-wrenching stuff at some points, which I definitely didn't expect.

Anyway, next on the list of Book of Dust Vol 2.

• 3 months later...

January 2020

I used to be an avid reader. I would often have upto five books on the go at once. But like so many things I used to be into, in recent years, reading fell by the wayside. This year I've decided to get back into enjoying.. things, which brings us to the first book of the year. One which I started and finished last month. Only read when on the bus, to and from the gym.

January.jpg

Let's talk about Inverted World. A random pick from Waterstones at Christmas time, this was an interesting read I had no prior knowledge of. Written by Christopher Priest, who you may know of via a relatively recent film adaptation of one of his other books - The Prestige. We follow the life of our protagonist - Helward Mann (one of the best names ever) an apprentice, living on the mobile city of Earth. There is a lot going on here, beyond the basic premise and although it does get bogged down at one point by psuedo-science exposition, it is a fun and easy read throughout. The Transformers nerd in me has always been drawn to the idea of moving cities, which was a big draw here. The practical mechanics behind it explained in a simple yet effective manner.

Now, as for the quote on the cover. I can only imagine it was true at the time of release (1974), but personally I caught on pretty quick as to what was going on, by the final third of the book. Mostly because it vaguely reminded me of something else I'd seen or read. Overall, an enjoyable piece of classic Sci-Fi, I'd recommend to fans of the genre. 8/10

"The Frood - the authorised history of The Hitch-hiker's Guide To The Galaxy" by Jem Roberts

At times it seems like there have been more books published by - or about - Douglas Adams since he passed, compared to when he was alive. Which is entirely possible, given how difficult Douglas found it to write the incorrectly named trilogy of five books (plus two brilliant Dirk Gently novels).

Not that that's a bad thing, especially where this book is concerned. It's a fascinating look back at Douglas's writing career, the many different and contradictory incarnations of Hitch-hiker's and even a very special selection of previously unpublished extracts (material cut from the books, but retained in the paper archive at his Cambridge college).

From designer towels to the long-delayed Hollywood movie, from the stage versions to his miniscule contribution to Monty Python, this is a cracking read and never gets bogged down in over-describing things. I thoroughly enjoyed Jem's Soupy Twists (the official biography of Fry & Laurie) and this was as good.

• 1 month later...

Greetings from Bury Park by Sarfraz Manzoor

An autobiographical reflection on a life growing up on a Luton housing estate in the 1980s as a young Britain with Pakistani heritage, and seeking understanding through the works of Bruce Springsteen.

It's a bit of an odd book, as chapters jump around, often repeat the same themes, and when there is real opportunity for further insight, when we venture towards more recent times, post 9/11 and 7/7, there feels a bit of a lack of depth. For me, the Springsteen parts stand out, albeit there's really not that many.

Overall as a small insight in to the cultural clash between father and son, the father who left Pakistan to raise his family in Britain but wants to cling to his roots, and a son inspired by a new land and culture he want to embrace, it's a revealing tale.

Furthermore, its been loosely adapted into a film, Blinded by the Light, which stays true only to the spirit of the story, rather than replicate the chronological facts. Throw in a few Bollywood style dance numbers, and it's a heartwarming romp.

Both book, and film, leave the glaring mystery open as to Sarfraz's friend 'Rupe' (Amolak) who introduced him to the music of Springsteen and his own Sikh upbringing (there's a bit more in the book than is ever touched on in the film).

• 2 months later...

Read a couple of Ben Aaronovitch books, from the Rivers of London series.

The eponymous first book, which introduces the magical theme against the modern day backdrop, and the sequel, Moon Over Soho, which introduces a bit more character background, and links into the world of jazz. It combines old school policing, a new 'magician's apprentice' and, surprisingly underplayed at times, physical demi-gods from London's waterways. But it all feels rather underdeveloped, like there is so much potential, but not enough depth.

They were okay, but I've no strong desire to read further into the series (of 6+ so far).

I understand that a TV adaptation, by Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, was in work (pre C-19) so may be around in 6-12 months.

• 2 weeks later...

Doctor Who: Ten Little Aliens

A very different and action orientated First Doctor story.  Doctor Who meets Starship Troopers, with a little bit of body horror added to the mix. For those unfamiliar with DW, I wouldn't really recommend it as a good jumping on point. The book is very good, but it hits the ground running, giving you insight into the situation not The Doctor himself. To a fan of the series or the First Doctor in general, I definitely would though. As The Doctor and his 60's companions are pitch perfect. 8/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. As I picked up this "trilogy" book for a couple quid at a charity shop. I attempted the first book when the last film came out. 2005, I think? For whatever reason, it really didn't grab me. Same situation with Dune and The Magician. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I saw this artbook the other day and basically bought it on the spot...

x2.jpgx1.jpg

Only had a quick flick through today (A Very Busy day for arrivals, it seems). But it is amazing and covers every single aspect of the Animated Series you could possibly want to know. I will aim to read this soon...!

Retro Tea Breaks Volume 1 by Neil Thomas (of Retro Man Cave)

14 fascinating interview transcripts with industry legends in a lovely hardback book, adding to the flavour are the pixel portraits by former Sensible Software artist Stoo Cambridge. And because I backed on Kickstarter, I made sure I got the collector’s cards of the portraits too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

100 Best Video Games (That Never Existed) by Nate Crowley

A Twitter post got over 100 likes, and so Nate had to invent an imaginary game for each like. From Beastenders to Squidpuncher, the history of gaming is parodied and pilloried with hilarious accuracy - from management simulations where you raise worms to a game of Risk from the soldier’s perspective. The team at Rebellion even held a game jam to bring the imaginary games to life in pictures and pretend covers.