passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Books

pickled

• 1 month later...

So I've finally finished reading Bad Science, I've been dipping in and out for a few months but went through the last 4 chapters this weekend. I already have little trust in mainstream media and this just made it worse, great stuff, though. Entertaining, funny and I've certainly come out of it more informed. Win!

Freakonomics next.

Any word on those freebie Mass Effect novels, Craymen?

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Freakanomics today. It's pretty dry but that should be expected from a book applying the tools of economics to life's quirks. The last chapter was a load of old crap, which was disappointing. Definitely worth reading, the indifferent observant look on life is both amusing and strangely a little inspiring.

Silicon Karma by Thomas Easton next.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just finished 'John Dies at the End', by David Wong.

Apparently it's some kind of internet cult sensation after being originally published on the web. I just picked it up on a whim, without knowing anything about all that. It's an entertaining horror comedy, with a similar pulp-y feel to something like 'The Book With No Name', but much more wisecracking.

There's a sequel on the way, and I just found out there's a film being made of it. Not sure how well a movie based on this would turn out, although the 2 main characters could be quite funny together if they get it right.

I bought a couple of new George Mann paperbacks this week. The follow up to Ghosts of Manhattan (picture a steampunk Batman in New York), and the newest Newbury & Hobbes.

If anyone's interested in the Mass Effect book saga; I found them a whole year after giving them up for dead, and sent them to DC. Happy endings!

• 2 months later...

Currently reading The Plot Against America by Philip Roth, which is really good. Also have All the Days and Nights by William Maxwell on the go, a collection of his short stories. Excellent stuff.

Hopefully i can read more backs in 2012 than i managed last year...

Monica got me the new Kindle for Christmas, and I read the new Terry Pratchett on that over the holidays. I really liked it.

I've still got a number of dead trees to get through. I'm eyeing up a few choices on my shelves for what to read next:

Wedlock: How Georgian Britain's Worst Husband Met His Match, Wendy Moore.

Can't Stop, Won't Stop: The History of the Hip-hop Generation, Jeff Chang.

Heartstone, C.J. Sansom

• 3 weeks later...

I'm re-attempting The Algebraist by Iain M Banks. I usually love his sci-fi, but the last time I attempted it I can't have been in the right mood, and only got a few chapters in before abandoning it for something else. Pretty good so far. The bad guy is really being painted as a sadistic lunatic, a sore winner who keeps his enemies dismembered but alive, inflicting all sorts of horrors.

I'm re-attempting The Algebraist by Iain M Banks. I usually love his sci-fi, but the last time I attempted it I can't have been in the right mood, and only got a few chapters in before abandoning it for something else. Pretty good so far. The bad guy is really being painted as a sadistic lunatic, a sore winner who keeps his enemies dismembered but alive, inflicting all sorts of horrors.

the bad guy is his best one so far.

I actually think its his best book, as much as i adore the culture.

the bad guy is his best one so far.

I actually think its his best book, as much as i adore the culture.

Yeah, a lot of people said that, hence me retrying it. I'm definitely enjoying it, reading it every spare 5 mins I get. I'm at the part where Fassin has to rush the delve, as the Beyonders attack - exciting stuff!

I'm halfway through The Algebraist by Iain M Banks. It is awesome, such a messed up book. Only Banks could come with a villain whose nob can produce a variety of drugs to apply during sex, and make it totally believable.

I read the first three volumes of Akira the other day. Amazing, though it hasn't supplanted Watchmen as my favourite graphic novel of all time. I must remember to order the next three volumes.

I've just started Song of Ice and Fire, book 2. Trying to get through it before the show starts back up.

I'm halfway through The Algebraist by Iain M Banks. It is awesome, such a messed up book. Only Banks could come with a villain whose nob can produce a variety of drugs to apply during sex, and make it totally believable.

I read Consider Phlebas last year. Bloody hell, I found it hard work. Great universe though.

About the ending..

I found it very downbeat and lacking. I know that the point after all the riduculous stuff that Horza went thought to get to that planet to die in such a mundane fashion, but I did find it frustrating after all the effort to get there.

I've got a few of the other culture novels that I've picked up that I need to read, although now I've got a Kindle, reading real books feels so archaic..

I've just started Song of Ice and Fire, book 2. Trying to get through it before the show starts back up.

Thats a good one, and the one after it. Red Wedding. It would be interesting to know your thoughts after it.

Ive stalled on book 5. Martin is appearing at the book store at the end of my road on 4th April, going to go along and see what he is like, see if he gives any explanations for books 4-5.