passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Legend of Dragoon (PS1)

Rikzilla

Anyone else played this?

I first played it back in 2000/2001 but I never finished it, so I downloaded it off the US PlayStation Store yesterday and started again.

It's a JRPG with turn based battles, but there's a really cool mechanic when you have to time button presses during your attack to do more damage (similar to what was used in Lost Odyssey on Xbox 360).

You can also turn into Dragoons once you fill a meter up, similar to FFVII's Limit Break. Turning into a Dragoon is good for one attack round at first, but the more you level up the longer you can stay transformed for. 

The story is typical JRPG nonsense involving a war between a good Kingdom and a bad Empire, Dragons, and a quest to do one thing that turns into saving the world. It has some of the worst localisation I've seen in a game (worse than FFVII), but I'm finding it adds to the charm. I'm reading everything like it's a badly dubbed Kung Fu movie. 

it hold up as well as can be expected for a PS1 game in 2018, and I'm playing on my PSP so it looks nice too. The lack of input lag on the PSP is essential to get the most out of the combat system too. I set my PS3 up on our 42" 4k TV earlier and it was unplayable, so handheld or CRT is the way to go. 

I'm just over 5 hours in so far so hopefully I'll still be enjoying it in another 5. 

image.png

37 minutes ago, Nag said:

Never played it, you make it sound pretty decent though... wonder if it's playable on the Vita??

It is, BUT you have to have a US account on the Vita. 

I wasnt willing to factory reset my Vita to stick a US profile on it as I use it a lot, but I had a PSP lying around that I hadn’t touched in years so figured I’d use that. 

10 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Did this get a Pal release? I think I remember my friend having it.

It did but only limited print so it’s rare as fuck. Copies sell for up to £100 now which sucks because I really want to own the physical version. 

Im tempted to just grab a US version next time I’m over there. 

Disc 1 finished!

After getting annoyed with the janky controls on PSP I decided to try it on a 32" TV with component cable for a bit. It looked much better than with an HDMI lead, and I'm not sure if there was less input lag or if I just adapted to it, either way, was good for a while.

Had to go to the other side of London for a lunch on Sunday and obviously wanted to play on the underground trip, but the thought of going back to PSP was too much so I dug out a spare Vita memory card, formatted the system and stuck my US account on it and downloaded on that and oh man, what a difference! The smaller OLED screen makes it look the best out of the three systems I've played it on, and add to that better buttons and no input lag and it feels like the Vita was the way this was always meant to be played. 

As for the game itself, still a lot of fun, but elements are annoying me:

exp distribution sucks. It's one of those games where the exp shown at the end of a battle isn't per character, it's between ALL characters. it took me a while to figure out that my party wasn't getting 50 exp each or whatever, and I hate that. It also feels random who gets how much exp. Add this to the fact that you get fuck exp for regular fights levelling is an issue. It feel like I can only really level up after a boss fight, else I'll be grinding for at least an hour to go up one level, and although that's fine in MMO's, in a single player RPG that's too long. Hoping this changes in disc 2 land. 

The translation is killing me. My favourite line so far after defeating a boss is "Ugh... I have a huge gash!" i was laughing so much I forgot what was said next. 

Story has had a few twists and turns, and it's been fun remembering what happens next.

image.png

• 1 month later...