passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dead Cells

Hendo

Pretty sure I’m never gonna finish this! 

At the moment I’m grinding to get a third health flask.

I keep thinking i’ll improve if I start using shields but i’m rubbish with them.

I also need to research the best linear path through, rather than going to bastard hard places that might be better doing later.

Actually made a dent in the forge after the boss, even if it is just 5%.

You don't get many cells though from the first boss so that grind will take a fair while, and that's just for the first "chance of weapon being + level" thing. The ones below are even more insane. I googled what they are but I won't mention in the off chance anybody regards them as spoilers.

Got my third health flask and keep 10,000 gold after death so not sure what to work towards next. Most likely the next health flask upgrade.

Yeah I got that, but only successfully used it once. First time I used it, I accidentally killed the enemy before getting the blueprint. Few times after that, the elite just mauled me.

Also, I paid for it and was a bit pissed off to only ever see it locked behind a 7500 gold pay wall. Fucking give it to me, you cunts!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been back to this and I've finally unlocked the power that deals with the yellow symbols on the ground which has unlocked quite a few new areas so runs feel less same-y now.  I also got to a new boss which is quite unlike the other two I've faced going the standard way.

I haven't got any weird and wonderful items yet.  I'm trying and I have had successful Hunter Grenade extractions but nothing that doesn't seem standard.  I like a new shield I got.  You can't hold it up and you can only parry with it but it does so much damage on parry so things just explode against you and also sends out additional projectiles if you parry one.

Picked this up on Switch recently and think it's bloody marvellous.

After a length of time where I had actually convinced myself that I was getting worse and worse at the game, I made some progress and got to The Clock Tower last night.

Found a good load out with a BROAD SWORD - ICE BLAST - ARROW TRAP - CRUSHER combination. It was so good that I was even wrecking enemies in The Clock Tower with it, then I ran into an Elite...… ?

I like that the game not only encourages experimentation, but practically forces you into it. If you don't get favourable drops you just have to make do and cobble a combination of weapons together, and sometimes you inadvertently stumble upon some quite good load outs (like I did last night).

That said, what combinations have people been favouring?

I love the traps that you put down and just fire at enemies. Good for the first boss.

I also favour ice grenade, also good for first boss.

A decent bow, preferably one with ammo limit, and a good quick sword. Absolutely hopeless with the shields and parrying, so just go for brute force.

As for traps a prefer any turret.  I got one recently called the Barnicle which I really like. 

I am still very much a shield guy.  I'll use any except the one that just blocks that you can't parry with. But I don't mind some of the crossbows. 

I'm also all about the elemental grenades but I do like the teleport but since I mostly use the shield it's kinda wasted.

And I'm cool with most weapons apart from the Cursed Sword I recently got.  It's very powerful but you die with one hit while it's equipped.  Yeah, I'm not into that at the moment. 

Barely used shields, in fact, I don’t actually know how to parry ?

I do really like the freeze grenade but I tend to favour the ice blast. It’s got shorter range and smaller aoe, but it has next to no cooldown time so you’ve always got it available to slow enemies down.

5 hours ago, DifferentClass said:

As for traps a prefer any turret.  I got one recently called the Barnicle which I really like. 

I picked up the blueprint for that last night. I’ll get cracking on unlocking it ?

• 5 weeks later...

I've been back on this a lot lately.

I still haven't finished a run despite having a lot of upgrades.  I now have a 100% chance of getting "+" items and even a 35% chance of "++" items so I am breezing through it but I'm just an idiot for the cursed chests.  I should just leave them since you get killed in one hit until you kill ten enemies and I keep getting hit by dumb shit whenever I open one.

I've also been playing around more with the skill re-rolls you can do between levels.  I used to just make what I got work but I've been using the money I've been getting to try and make synergies with my item's buffs.  I like setting things on fire and making sure I can also spread oil and do bonus damage to enemies on fire.  There was one run where my stuff was so optimal I killed the Timekeeper in less than 30 seconds.

But I've only got to who I think is the last boss once.  He's tough but I should be able to do it.  I just need more practice, but I just need to get to him, and leave those cursed chests alone.  I mean, I rarely get good drops in them, anyway.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:14, DifferentClass said:

But I've only got to who I think is the last boss once.  He's tough but I should be able to do it.  I just need more practice, but I just need to get to him, and leave those cursed chests alone.  I mean, I rarely get good drops in them, anyway.

Yeah, I've come to the same conclusion about the cursed chests. They're tempting because I don't like to leave stuff behind, however I die far, far more than I get good blueprints when I open them. The reward isn't really worth the risk in my experience. Also, I recently found out that you can smash down those "pay to open" doors, but you get a similar curse (30 enemies I believe). That shit REALLY isn't worth doing ? 

Another thing I've been thinking is maybe I should reign in the amount of weapons i'm unlocking, as it will be diluting my chances of getting the stuff I like and am effective with. Only problem is that the weapons in this game are so bloody cool that I want to see as many as possible ☺️

If you get enough items you sort of break through that since most are pretty good later on.  But there was certainly a point where I'd restart a run because of the random items available at the start.  Seriously, who uses that Spartan Kick?

I've got to the end boss a few more times.  I dunno what happened but one time I had really good stuff and stormed my way through the game but just hit the end boss wall hard.  In fact it was the run I Tweeted about where I destroyed the Time Keeper again in no time:

Spoiler

I've no idea why I couldn't beat him with that stuff after destroying the Time Keeper.  I just played like an idiotic, little brother.

The last time I got to him I was set to beat him, just kicking arse, but I forgot to fill up my potion bottle before the level and ended up dying after I took a load of his health while barely being touched ☹️

On 16/10/2018 at 13:02, DifferentClass said:

Seriously, who uses that Spartan Kick?

Ha, ha - I know! It is quite satisfying booting enemies against the wall and watching them obliterate though.

I’ve actually started using melee stuff (swords) a lot less now and tend to favour crossbows as my primary weapon up close. They tend to be slow, but pack a hell of a punch at point blank range. Closest thing Dead Cells has to a shotgun ?

• 4 weeks later...

There is a big update due soon.  It's there on the PC beta version right now but it's expected to drop on consoles I imagine whenever certification is done.  Here's a video that goes through it:

I didn't know the game had level scaling until now.  It explains why I'm getting owned by the last boss all the time because I do try to maximise my power every run.

It all sounds pretty good, anyway.  Should make earlier runs easier but later, Boss Cell ones harder if they get the balance right.

• 1 month later...

So, I’ve FINALLY made to the throne room and (presumably) the final boss. He killed me pretty hard, but I’ll bounce straight back up and have another pop at it (because that’s the Dead Cells way).

Part of the reason it’s took me so long is because I was insistant on getting all three keys in High Peak Castle, so I could get in the room beyond the throne room. Managed it last night and picked up the blueprint there (which was a pleasing addition to my arsenal ?). Going forward I should get to the boss far easier as I only need two keys, and therefore, only need to beat two of the elites ?