passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Predictions

Sly Reflex

Below is a complete list of everything that's coming out right up to the next fiscal year. What do you think is going to be hits, failures, games that will go down in history, games that you're looking forwards to and all that stuff. Best answers will be featured in a podcast. Please try to keep your thoughts chronological for the sake of me writing notes. Forgive the formatting, the tabbing didn't work

Spoiler

August
1    Yakuza 0                        Win
3    WarioWare Gold                    3DS
7    Overcooked 2                        Win, NS, PS4, XBO
9    Layton's Mystery Journey DX[A]            NS
Ōkami HD                        NS
Yakuza 3[A]                        PS4
10    Madden NFL 19                    Win, PS4, XBO
We Happy Few                    Win, PS4, XBO
14    Death's Gambit                    Win, PS4
The Walking Dead: The Final Season – Episode 1    Win, PS4, XBO
World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth            Win, Mac
23    My Hero One's Justice[A]                NS, PS4
24    F1 2018                        Win, PS4, XBO
Little Dragons Café                    NS, PS4
28    Blade Strangers                    Win, NS, PS4
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate        NS
Strange Brigade                    Win, PS4, XBO
Victor Vran: Overkill Edition                NS
Yakuza Kiwami 2                    PS4]
31    Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker            Win, PS4, XBO
TBA    Dead Cells                        Win, Mac, Lin, NS, PS4, XBO

September
4    Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age    Win, PS4
7    Immortal Unchained                    Win, PS4, XBO
SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy            NS, PS4
Spider-Man                        PS4
11    NBA 2K19                        Win, NS, PS4, XBO
14    Black Clover: Quartet Knights            Win, PS4
Shadow of the Tomb Raider                Win, PS4, XBO
20    Star Control: Origins                    Win
Steins;Gate 8-bit[A]                    NS
Steins;Gate Elite[A]                    NS, PS4, PSVita
Steins;Gate: Linear Bounded Phenogram[A]        PS4
21    Spyro Reignited Trilogy                PS4, XBO
Xeno Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country    NS
25    Metal Max Xeno                    PS4
Valkyria Chronicles 4                Win, NS, PS4, XBO
27    Life Is Strange 2 – Episode 1                Win, PS4, XBO
Super Neptunia RPG                    NS, PS4
The World Ends with You: Final Remix[A]        NS
28    Code Vein                        Win, PS4, XBO
Dragon Ball FighterZ                    NS
FIFA 19                        Win, NS, PS4, PS3, XBO, X360
TBA    Underworld Ascendant                Win, Mac, Lin

October
2    Forza Horizon 4                    Win, XBO
Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise        PS4
Mega Man 11                        Win, NS, PS4, XBO
5    Assassin's Creed Odyssey                Win, PS4, XBO
Super Mario Party                    NS
9    Disgaea 1 Complete                    NS, PS4
WWE 2K19                        Win, PS4, XBO
12    Call of Duty: Black Ops 4                Win, PS4, XBO
16    Lego DC Super-Villains                Win, NS, PS4, XBO
Starlink: Battle for Atlas                NS, PS4, XBO
Warriors Orochi 4                    Win, NS, PS4, XBO
19    Battlefield V                        Win, PS4, XBO
Soulcalibur VI                        Win, PS4, XBO
23    Crayola Scoot                        Win, NS, PS4, XBO
Just Dance 2019                    NS, PS4, XBO, X360, WiiU, Wii
25    Disaster Report 4 Plus: Summer Memories[A]    PS4
26    My Hero One’s Justice                 Win, NS, PS4, XBO
Red Dead Redemption 2                PS4, XBO

November
6    Overkill's The Walking Dead                Win, PS4, XBO
13    Hitman 2                        Win, PS4, XBO
SNK 40th Anniversary Collection            NS        
14    Fallout 76                        Win, PS4, XBO
16    Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee!            NS

December
4    Just Cause 4                        Win, PS4, XBO
7    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate                NS

January
25    Resident Evil 2 Remake                Win, PS4, XBO
29    Kingdom Hearts III                    PS4, XBO

February
22    Anthem                        Win, PS4, XBO
Crackdown 3                        Win, XBO
Days Gone                        PS4
Metro Exodus                        Win, PS4, XBO
TBA    Trials Rising                        Win, NS, PS4, XBO

March
15    Tom Clancy's The Division 2                Win, PS4, XBO
21    The Sinking City                    Win, PS4, XBO

Once the show is recorded it'll be interesting to come back after March 2019 and see what we got right and wrong.

Have fun with your predictions.

I have no interest in sales numbers so I can’t add anything there but I can give my opinions on some of them.

Overcooked 2          

This I’m very much looking forward to and hoping to get a good team together to play through a fair bit. The only question is which format will be the best for getting others on board. Most likely PS4, I would imagine.

We Happy Few              

This is something I’m intrigued to watch from the sidelines. The initial trailer was very exciting but the unfinished game they put out was very much not. Now they’ve put more work into it and changed it, I want to see what the consensus is like before I open the wallet.

Yakuza Kiwami 2             

Take my money. Let me punch a tiger.

Dead Cells             

Another one I’ve been looking forward to and I can guarantee I will buy it, either Switch or PS4, it’s single player as far as I can tell so shouldn’t matter.

Spider-Man       

This isn't a guarantee, all depends on how reviews and impressions hold up, though it does sound really cool.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider      

Should probably play the second one in the reboot series first, this will probably wait unless the reviews are ridiculous.

Life Is Strange 2 – Episode 1      

Another take my money one.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey  

Waiting for a cheap digital sale on the last one first but interested in seeing how this pans out.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4    

Haven't bought a CoD in a while, I'll be watching this one carefully.

Red Dead Redemption 2            

This is probably the big one. All backlog will most likely have to go on hold. 

Overkill's The Walking Dead         

All I hear about this is that it's terrible. I like Payday so I have an interest but won't be jumping straight in.

Hitman 2      

Another take my money situation. Bit gutted that it's not episodic any more, but I think the last one finally helped me to understand how Hitman works better.

Fallout 76    

Unless I'm misunderstanding this, it sounds like it could be Metal Gear Survive done right. Will wait and see, not the biggest Bethesda fan.

Just Cause 4  

Didn't bother with the last one, even after it went free but another one I'm happy to see how it pans out.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate  

I'll be sure to buy this, love me some Smash and there's not much else from Nintendo for the rest of the year.

Resident Evil 2 Remake        

Excited for this one, Resi 2 was my first ever Resi game and I love what it looks like they've done with it.

Anthem    

I'll be watching this the same way I did with Destiny - keeping my eye on it to see if I should jump in, but then probably won't.

Crackdown 3  

No Xbox in sight yet, but I'd like this to be good, I have fond memories of the first one.

Days Gone      

Still sounds terrible. Zombies is not always a sure-fire way of making a game good.

Metro Exodus  

At some point I'll pick up the other two, they're regularly going cheap in a bundle, but another one to watch.

Trials Rising 

Unless they fuck it up, I'll be there.

Tom Clancy's The Division 2      

File under Destiny and Anthem.       

I've answered this section by section, but kept them all chronological within that.

Hits:

Yakuza is going to go from strength to strength now it’s picking up traction in the West.

We Happy Few will gain a cult following.

Red Dead Redemption 2. Because you know it’s going to sell ridiculous amounts. Then people will spend the next few years complaining about the lack of single player DLC.

Resident Evil 2 Remake. Pretty sure @Nag alone will buy enough copies to cover development costs.           

Metro Exodus. It’s a sleeper series, but I think the newest will do really well now the others have had enough promotion.

Failures:

WWE 2k19. It’s going to fucking suck. Because they put less than 0 effort in these days. It'll still sell plenty though.

Just Cause 4. BIIIIIG miss. Unfortunately.

Crackdown 3. It’s missed its opportunity.

Excited for:

The Walking Dead: The Final Season. Should probably play season 3, but I can’t take my Vita saves over to PS4 so it’s not gonna feel like ‘my’ Clem.

Yakuza Kiwami 2. I WILL get around to playing 0. And Kiwami. And this…

Spider-Man. I just want to do whatever a spider can!

Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Very excited about this one.

Spyro Reignited. Childhood rebooted.

Forza Horizon 4. :toss::toss::toss:

Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey. Fingers crossed for Greek sea shanties…

Kingdom Hearts 3. Big Hero 6, Toy Story, Tangled, Monsters Inc. I’ll be in a Disney coma, thanks very much.

Yakuza Kiwami 2

Will do ok like Kiwami. In a relatively quiet lull so shouldn't get drowned out.

Spider-Man

I don't think it'll be Arkham good or do aswell as other Sony exclusives like Horizon or God of War. It'll get decent reviews and be one of the better Spider-Man games.

Shadow of Tomb Raider

Curse of the third in a series burn out? It'll be fun and as solid as always but if no new mechanics or a really interesting villain performance then repetition may set in.

Fist of the North Star

I want this to be so good. It's just going to be a throwaway Yakuza spin off thing though isn't it. Win-win for us Yakuza anime fans ?

Black Ops 4

I think is steadily losing its grip it once had on the genre but there's still some fun to be had. The introduction of Battle Royale us so typical of an industry devoid of original ideas but the lack of a campaign could spell a more fleshed (pun) out Zombies etc. Interested. But...

Battlefield V

...I've only room for one FPS in my life so this may be it. A return of my favourite vehicles, albeit in a sort of power up form ? faster combat and maybe a better class system. We'll see. It'll still do well tho.

Red Dead 2

This is a gimme. No way this fails on any level, unless you don't like cowboys or games with a metacritic less than 97. 

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Always fun. Always successful.

Resi 2 Remake

From the breif bits we've seen this looks a total remake. Not sure how it affects things but it still looks good. I wannit!

Metro Exodus

I picked the previous two in a bundle and, even with some roughness, they played well. Story driven competent FPS games with a decent atmosphere about them aren't overflowing these days. This I think will polish up that janky  AI and combat to produce a diamond in the rough.

Fails?

Just Cause 4 

Just gives me that feeling.

WWE2K19

Been turd for a while

Days Gone

Zombies are dead (another). I think it's been too long in development or we just ain't seen anything of any real note. Seems to lack its own personality. May be wrong but I go with the gut.

Surprise/go down in history

Anthem

The focus on Single Player and the full weight of the real Bioware team (what's left) behind it I think it has potential. It's had the fortune of previous peers that it can learn from and the cool idea of being Iron-Man. Kinda. It could equally fall flat but I'm gonna go on a limb in spirit of the question and say this will be Epic.

Dragon Quest XI

Been waiting long enough for a true follow-up to VIII. Excitement level: 10/10

Spyro Reignited Trilogy

I’ve never played the first game but played the second and third games many times over, looking forward to seeing the games reimagined. Excitement level: 8/10

XC2 Torna The Golden Country

The Nintendo Treehouse demonstration of this suggests that it’s going to be pretty meaty. Monolith Soft hit on a winning formula with XC2 for me so I’ll definitely be getting this. Excitement level: 8/10

Valkyria Chronicles 4

My first time playing a game in this series and I’m looking forward to it. Excitement level: 7/10

The World Ends With You Final Remix

After ten years hopefully I can experience this brilliant game like new, all over again. Excitement level: 9/10

Code Vein

Love what I’ve seen of this game so far. If the gameplay can even half live up to Dark Souls and the story is as cool as it looks, then this should be a winner. Excitement level: 8/10

Fallout 76

Not sure about the online elements but the gameplay demonstrations were as good as anything shown at E3 so, cautiously optimistic. I should probably play through Fallout 4 first though! Excitement level: 7/10

Red Dead Redemption 2

If memory serves, I remember really liking Red Dead Redemption but there were definitely areas in the game that could be improved... Regardless, it’s a Rockstar game, so even if my opinion at the end does fall off slightly, I know for most of the game I’ll absolutely loved it. Excitement level: 9/10

Kingdom Hearts 3

This looks beautiful. Excitement level: 10/10

• 2 weeks later...

HITS

Overcooked 2

One of the true injustices of gaming in the last decade is the first game not having online multiplayer. This fixes that. Friendships will turn to ruin over this.

Dead Cells

2D Dark Souls/Metroidvania game. Looks gorgeous - providing it plays half decently I can see this doing well.

Death's Gambit  

Same as Dead Cells.

Yakuza Kiwami 2

After playing Yakuza 0 for the first time, I can now see what all the fuss is about. These games have a die hard following for good reason.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

It's Dragon Quest. This'll do well in the East even if it's pap.

F1 2018                       

Sports games seem to come in cycles in console generations. The early versions at the start of a consoles life are stripped bare of features and shit. This should be a full fledge, feature packed version and fans will lap it up.

Spider-Man           

The license alone will make this sell bucket loads. I'm hoping it's good.

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate  

This'll ride the coat tails of MH:World. Hope it does well enough to properly cement the franchise in the west. 

Spyro Reignited Trilogy        

This'll be bought by people like myself who force their childhood interests onto their own offspring. And they WILL enjoy it.

Forza Horizon 4                   

One of the games that make me want an Xbox. Just not want one enough to actually buy one.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

More of the same. Jump off roofs, stab people, skip through the pseudo sci-fi nonsense that no one cares about. As per the majority of Ubisoft games, the story will be a convoluted mess that you'll forget about twenty minutes in. The press will go nuts about it's handful of new features that should have been in the previous five games.

Battlefield V

IT HAS A WOMAN. Finger crossed EA doesn't fuck this up out of sheer greed. I'm not holding my breath.

Red Dead Redemption 2 

Even my dad's interested in this. He hasn't played a game since Tetris on the gameboy. It'll still be in the top ten in six years time.

Fallout 76  

Co-op exploration in the Fallout universe. I'm in.

Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee!    

Mediocre reviews but kids will lap it up, as will parents at Christmas time.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

This will sell Switch's like hot cakes. Here's an hour long Nintendo Direct about cake.

Metro Exodus

Never played a Metro game, but from what i've read this sounds like it'll be a pretty big deal.

NEARLY

Victor Vran: Overkill Edition 

Pretty good Diablo clone. Features the voice of Geralt and an expansion based around Motorhead. Doubt many will buy it though.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider  

This'll sell loads, but I just can't get into the franchise. 

Starlink: Battle for Atlas  

I'm actually pretty excited by this, something my kids will love as well but I think people are done with games that require the additional purchase of plastic tat.

Soulcalibur VI  

There'll be more controversy over the portrayal of women. 

Just Cause 4 

I think Avalanche Studio's will have stretched themselves to thin with most of their resources going into Rage 2.

Anthem

If anyone can fuck a good idea up, it'll be EA.

MISS

Super Mario Party 

Has anyone ever actually had fun playing these? I'd rather play Monopoly - and i fucking hate Monopoly.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4

All the teenagers are playing Fortnite now.

Just Dance 2019 
Who buys this shit?

Crackdown 3  

After the development hell this has gone through, there's no way it'll live up to expectations.

Days Gone
The poster game for design by committee.