passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Assault Android Cactus

illdog

Sounds like someone just drew random words out of a hat innit? But you play as an assault android named Cactus so there.

This is free on Xbox One at the moment as part of Games With Gold. It's a frenetic twin stick shooter, hook is you have a constantly depleting battery in the top centre of the screen which you can recharge as and when enemies drop them.

Like @Sambob in a zoo, it's rock fucking hard. The play area's are small and the enemy dropm rate is high. You can press the L trigger to switch to a secondary weapon that normally has a bit of kick but it needs charging between uses.

You start with a roster of 4 character with as extra one unlocking after each of the first 4 bosses. Each character has unique mains and secondarys and some levels benefit a certain type of weapon so there's abit of experimenting involved.

I think i'm on the final zone but by Christ it's not been easy. Some enemies shoot big spikey bombs that can knock you down with one hit, this means you have to tap the button to get up and you get deducted points and lose your kill chain. Some enemies appear in the middle of the stage and shoot 4 way lasers that kill with one hit. It's an absolure fucker but it has that addictive 'one more go' quality.

Here's the Giant Bomb quick look to get an idea of shiz:

It's a good game, with a really cool range of characters with interesting different abilities. The one who uses a drone to attack is really weird, but fun to play.

I understand that the way some of the characters play kind of necessitates it, but I don't like having to hold down the trigger to fire as it ends up giving me pain in the first joint on my trigger finger after a while.

The final boss of this game, like @Sambob, is a massive horses cunt.

I think i beat it on my 8th attempt, two attempts after I swore I was never going to try again.

The problem is the final phase is a lot tougher than the five previous phases. Those previous phases are tough, let me clarify that. But that last one goes up a notch. Anyway, it's done and I actually quite enjoped the game.

yeah i played this because it was on gold, i was pretty rubbish at it, bosses gave me a lot of trouble, especially that last one ^ like illdog says, did it in the end though. i googled what you had to do on that last bit as it takes a while to get to and there were a few bits previously where you have to do something specific to get the next battery in time and it's a bit trial and error sometimes.

Spoiler

glad i did as i spent a lot of time shooting the boss which is completely the opposite of what you have to do.

it was alright, if you like twin stick shooters i guess it was fun, but no where near as good as geometry wars or nex machina.