passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Console Build Quality

illdog

@illdog Yep.

Also, I switched to performance mode over resolution because the frame rate was annoying me. I turned off the motion blur as well and it's nice and snappy now. I should make an effort to return to it, really.

I dunno I think you're a bit harsh. The 360 was noisy a lot of the time we just forget that. Pro is well noisy when it's going full pelt tho, but thankfully it's not for most games. Not what I play anyway. Plus I don't think we've had anywhere near the level of issues of last gen in regards to Red Ring/Yellow light. 

I'm not tempting fate. I'm happy thanks ???

Again I think it's better than Dual Shock 3. I can't compare both directly in respect to Xbox One, but in regards to last gen it's a non issue for me.

Forget that I thought I saw pad ? but the point is the same. Don't forget it's designed to come apart for maintenance and HDD swapping. So that doesn't help.

I just put headphones on so I've no idea if mine is noisy or not.

I remember back in the day tons of folks saying the 360 was noisy and I never really heard it as my TV volume was always so high it was never an issue.

Who cares about build quality at the end of the day. The 360 was fucking horrendous last gen and no one really cared as it was a damn fine console.

12 hours ago, Blakey said:

I just put headphones on so I've no idea if mine is noisy or not.

I remember back in the day tons of folks saying the 360 was noisy and I never really heard it as my TV volume was always so high it was never an issue.

Who cares about build quality at the end of the day. The 360 was fucking horrendous last gen and no one really cared as it was a damn fine console.

Haha are you kidding me!

Build quality is not a problem until it is.  I have my PS4 vertically and I don't think that is good for it but if I have it horizontally it spits the disc out randomly.  I'd rather have it not do that and be well made.  I know you're the sort to just get the next new thing but I'd quite like my console to last and that requires a certain standard.  I'm not asking for premium quality, just something that won't break down so soon.

Like, I'd rather of still had my 360 rather than having to throw it out after it broke down.

26 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

Haha are you kidding me!

Build quality is not a problem until it is.  I have my PS4 vertically and I don't think that is good for it but if I have it horizontally it spits the disc out randomly.  I'd rather have it not do that and be well made.  I know you're the sort to just get the next new thing but I'd quite like my console to last and that requires a certain standard.  I'm not asking for premium quality, just something that won't break down so soon.

Like, I'd rather of still had my 360 rather than having to throw it out after it broke down.

I was pissed last night, shouldn’t of said build quality doesn’t matter because it does, apologies. 

All I meant was - as good or bad as build quality is - it doesn’t make or break a console, as horrendous as the 360 was last gen they still ended up on parity in sales with the PS3 in the end.

I want consoles to last too, as much as I buy in terms of tech I still expect things to last like anyone does, if you invest a certain amount of cash you expect them to last whether the next big thing is round the corner or not.

I just think things like console noise aren’t an issue really to me personally, it’s just an incredibly small ‘issue’ that can be avoided by turning the TV volume up or putting on headphones, it never affected me last gen with the 360 and I’ve never really heard my OG PS4 or Pro at all due to headphones.

I’d be a bit annoyed if my launch PS4 was spitting discs out though - it shouldn’t be doing that - but tech these days in all walks of life aren’t built to last and pushing on 5 years for a console they start to creak a bit. My XB1 had issues reading discs and accepting them before I got rid of it, and I frequently had to hard reset it after playing certain games and attempting to stream and that was only 2 or 3 years I owned it before I got rid of it. 

Consoles are built to a price at the end of the day and the reason the PS4 isn’t built as luxuriously as the XB1 is cost at the end of the day, they wanted that $100 buffer between the PS4 and their chief competitor and achieved this through a cheaper more utilitarian console design and materials, and as ‘bad’ as the PS4 quality is it’s absolutely nothing compared to the RROD fiasco of last gen and that didn’t do Microsoft any harm in the long term as gamers - ultimately - have short memories.

The noise of the PS4 is the worst thing about the machine. I can't just turn the TV up or put on headphones late at night when I also have to keep an ear out for my children. It's fucking annoying the noise it makes at times and sometimes it's enough for me to switch off and play something different.

I can't believe the noise is enough for anyone to turn the system off ? jesus fuck :lol: 

The ol' headphones/tv volume method only works if you don't have kids it seems. C'est la vie.

I won't say anymore on the topic really, that it riles a few on here so much is a little silly in my view but fair enough, you're entitled to think its shitty at the end of the day, you do you etc. Ultimately, it's subjective how much it bothers you really and all I know is for me it has never bothered in the slightest neither on the 360 or PS4.

I don't hear it when I'm on headphones but if I'm playing single player through TV it is capable of being noisy as fuck. Base PS4 wasn't an issue it's just the pro for me. 

I don't think it's build quality in term of cheepness, more design flaw. In such a small unit the components are packed together and the cooling unit this has (one fan I think ?) goes into overdrive on performance heavy stuff. Either build it the size of an 80's VCR with better cooling or build it small and hope the noise is ok. 

Also I've pointed out to a few that you need to keep your vents free. Look down the side of the PS4 - if you see loads of lint clean it out you scruff. Or the fan will go nuts.

tbh, and I know this has gone massively off topic, I'm used to consoles making noise. It'd be better if they were silent like the old cartridge consoles, but I had a Dreamcast, the PS3 and 360 could make a ton of noise, my old (a couple back now) graphics card was stupidly loud. I'm not hugely bothered if the fans kick up on my pro for a bit, other than worrying about the heat levels. I'm sure it's designed to factor in that level of heat, but then I don't use my consoles that much all told

Playing Skyrim on my old PC for long duration would make the fan sound like a cat 5 hurricane. Y'all been very first world problem about this. Complaining because your cutting edge games making the system a bit blowy. Fucks sake.

You could say that about anybody moaning about anything. It’s fucking annoying that the console is so loud you have to crank the TV up high just to hear the game without headphones. Complain away, that’s part of what the forum is for.

not that I've noticed in terms of sound, but the dock outputs more power which means the fans can run faster, and so the processor can too. The dock itself is just a plug and an HDMI converter, it doesn't do anything else. Some people are speculating an ungrade to the Switch would include a dock with a fan, but I doubt that would give them that much of a power boost for the extra cost 

I think that might be part of why I'm less arsed than some. I remember the launch of the Xbox One, or just before, there were details about how its larger size meant it had room to breathe, the fans are larger than the PS4's so can run slower, which means less noise. I'm not saying I wouldn't want the PS4 to be quieter or anything, of course I would and my Pro does get loud, but having dicked around with a pc I think has given me a better understanding of it.

Basically, I'm fine with the size to noise trade off with the PS4, but I'm not going to pretend it's not loud sometimes

20 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

think that might be part of why I'm less arsed than some. I remember the launch of the Xbox One, or just before, there were details about how its larger size meant it had room to breath, the fans are larger than the PS4's so can run slower, which means less noise. I'm not saying I wouldn't want the PS4 to be quieter or anything, of course I would and my Pro does get loud, but having dicked around with a pc I think has given me a better understanding of it.

This is largely my view on it and lead to my notes on its possible design flaws. The PS4 Pro is rather compact for what it does and so to me it's obvious the larger Xbox can gain benefit from more breathing space. But I also have built my own PC rigs so I get the balance of noise with space and cost to what you want to achieve. 

I like my consoles small. I've put up with noise from other machines so I'm more accepting of this. It is borderline tho I must admit. I don't think it makes much noise outside of the graphics heavy ones tho. Don't notice it on Destiny. Didn't notice on Nier. Nothing on Yakuza. But on God of War it could get a little annoying ? perspective is I'm thankful it doesn't just die on you like they could last gen ?

Not long till next gen anyway ?