passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

DisturbedSwan

New Stuff:

• This is the biggest map in any Assassin's Creed game (probably not too surprising). There are lots of different biomes (forest, beast, snowy mountains).
    • There are map regions that are separate from the main storyline and have self contained plotlines you can choose to engage in.
    • The game is made by ten different studios: Ubisoft Quebec (Lead, made AC: Syndicate), Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft Montpellier, Ubisoft Kiev, Ubisoft Bucharest, Ubisoft Shanghai, Ubisoft Pune, Ubisoft Singapore, Sperasoft, and Technicolor Games (the last two are contractors).
    • The game will have a live service with post launch updates similar to Origins.
    • They're not talking about if Discovery Tour is in yet, which implies it's in.
    • They're going all in on modern day content, though based on another interview, it sounds like it's optional this time.
    • They have more quests where you can solve them non-violently. I'll just quote this one here. “We have a few quests where the objective is ‘deal with it.’” he said. “For example, ‘this guy owes me money, ok, deal with it.’ You can go there and kill him and take the money. Or you can go and ask. Or loot the treasure box in his house.”
    • Some of the romance options are with people who are already in relationships, so going and romancing the person can mess with their other relationships.
    • The game has "30 hours of interactive storytelling". To be clear, they're not talking about the length of the game here. There are 13 different ways to interact with people in conversations (with the number of options per conversation varying).
    • "Most characters in the game can join your ship's crew". This includes most enemies and many civilians. They will offer stat bonuses and perks. They can also serve as land based distractions for stealth players.
    • They redid stealth so it's worthwhile experience point wise and gave you a lot more stealth options ability wise.
    • You can now map 4+ moves to face buttons (or bumpers) so you have way more options in combat. The skills and abilities are also notably more in-depth in terms of what they do, especially after you upgrade them.
    • There's a city state based power system where you can kill regional leaders to weaken a city state, which not only makes the actual leader of the city state easier to kill, but can also trigger things like an invasion from neighboring city states who want to take over. There are 27 city states in total.
    • There will be battles with up to 300 combatants. Get it? Get it???
    • The game has multiple endings.
    • Edit: Since people are asking, social stealth is not returning.
    • There's way more at the link and more about each topic I talked about as well.

A romance system is a first for the series

“If you want to be a woman and romance a woman, you can do that. If you want to be a man and romance a woman, you can do that. If you want to be a man and romance a man and a woman, you can do that,” she affirmed. “If you want to be a woman and romance a woman, you can do that. If you want to be a man and romance a woman, you can do that. If you want to be a man and romance a man and a woman, you can do that,” she affirmed.

For McCoubrey, the choice to romance the people you want as the gender you identify with, in-game, was integral to the system. “You know, we’re making a game that offers choice, and this is something that matters a lot to people. It matters a lot to me. And it matters a lot to the team.”

Romance choices are marked with hearts, they've said that some relationships are short term, some are long term, unlike other RPGs where you're "locked in." This is also regardless of which character you pick when you start the game, romances options are the same for both:

93EB276D-CDED-4586-8658-B369C9603AE9.jpeg

9CDB6688-D17D-47A8-8142-571CAE3EC164.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it's gonna be a massive time sink. Not a clue what to do now - try and get through some stuff before Xmas and ask for it as a present, or say fuck it to the backlog (and Spidey, and RDR2, and TWEWY, and Forza... Jesus this year's ridiculous) and just completely lose myself in this.

Loved the look of the weapons too. I know they're high-level stuff but it made the new dude look like a total badass.

You loved Origins though @Nag so I can’t really understand why it burnt you out on it to be honest.

Usually games I get burnt out on I quit half way through, not get 100% in ?‍♀️

Each to their own and everything though. For me AC is always a Day 1 purchase (pre-purchased as an early birthday present already) but I don’t usually get round to it Day 1. For quite some time it was my Christmas game. 

It's not like it's not gonna be there for you 6-12 months later when it's cheaper, they've added all the patches and you're out of other games to play either, is it?

I get both arguments on this one. I want to play it relatively soon after release because the last one was awesome, but I'd have been a lot happier if Odyssey came next year instead.

Yeah I get’cha, there’s no right answer here, there’s so much stuff out that it’s gonna be difficult fitting everything in so I definitely get where Nag is coming from, although I’m still really pleased we’re getting an AC this year as 2016 just felt wrong without it. I probably would’ve got it for Xmas though if I wasn’t getting it as a birthday present.

I know one thing for sure though, everything that isn’t finished/played is getting put on hiatus when RDR2 drops.

AC: OD has a Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor style mercenary system

In Assassin’s Creed Origins, the player character Bayek was hunted by powerful enemies throughout his journey. Bayek was a threat to the pharaoh Ptolemy, and the ruler sent his private guards, the Phylakes, to track Bayek down and snuff out his life. It was a fun way to add an additional threat layer to the game, and when that signature horn blew, players knew they were in for a tough fight. Once all 10 were killed, Bayek was rewarded with a slick new outfit – and that was it, basically. In Odyssey, Ubisoft Quebec is taking that kernel of an idea and exploding it.

Without a strict code to follow, you’re much freer in the world. You can choose to steal, slaughter livestock, and go on murderous rampages. “Let’s say you’re going around the world and you’re a s---head,” says creative director Jonathan Dumont, “It’s your choice, but there are consequences.” If you commit crimes, a bounty will be placed on your head. And when mercenaries appear to collect, that’s when the real fun begins.”

Every player’s game starts with 50 mercenaries, drawn from a pool of hand-crafted characters and others that are randomly generated. They all have their own special abilities, strengths, and weaknesses, as well as gear. “It’s endless Phylakes,” Dumont says. “And some have bears.” They’ll leave you alone if you walk the straight and narrow, but beware if you decide to indulge your criminal fantasies.

Players can accrue an increasing amount of notoriety, which is represented by a one-to-five scale. An easy way to think about it is like the wanted levels in the Grand Theft Auto games. When you’re wanted, the mercenaries will start to look for you. A higher bounty attracts higher-leveled mercenaries, and more of them, so it might make sense to pay your fine to get them off your back. Or, if you’re feeling more confrontational, you can track down the person who issued the bounty and eliminate them – and the bounty, too.

The interesting part comes in after you’re done battling them. Once you’ve incapacitated them, you have a couple of options: You can choose to kill them, or you can hire them. “If a mercenary is pursuing me throughout the world, you know what, I want to show respect for that guy and keep him,” Dumont says. “You can do that.” Regardless of whether you choose to kill them or let them live, you get whatever gear they have, which can include special legendary items.

Mercs and other characters you recruit join your ship’s crew. Some of these guys add special abilities for your ship, such as reducing cooldowns for your weapons or increasing your ship’s speed. There’s also a skill, Call to Arms, which allows your character to summon one of your allies into on-foot combat for a while.

Don’t think you can simply massacre your way through all 50 and call it a day. The Mediterranean is a lucrative place to be, and more mercs will arrive to take the place of the fallen. As you eliminate the competition – by recruiting or killing them – you’ll work your way up the rankings. Each ranking tier has special benefits, such as getting discounts at vendors and smiths.

Full map revealed:

1C33AC37-D491-4B83-8F49-202643919886.jpeg

New Game+ coming post launch

When creative director Jonathan Dumont was asked if Odyssey will get a New Game Plus experience, he was quick to confirm that it was coming – although it won’t be ready when the game launches this October.

Before players can get to the end game content, Dumont is confident that Assassin’s Creed Odyssey will take players quite some time go progress through, stating that that Odyssey has plenty of moving parts that will keep gamers hunting around the world as the end-game content arrives.

• 3 weeks later...