passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

SEGA Mega Drive Mini

HandsomeDead

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/13/17237000/sega-mega-drive-mini-classic-edition

To commemorate the console’s upcoming 30th anniversary, Sega took the opportunity to unveil its own miniature “classic edition” version of the legendary 16-bit Genesis (or, as it was called in the rest of the world, the Mega Drive). The so-called “Mega Drive Mini” will be released in 2018, in Japan at least, Sega announced at a fan event today.

Just last week, Sega’s COO said the company was interested in getting back into the hardware business, following the explosive success of Nintendo’s classic reissues. Sega famously exited the hardware business after the failure of the Sega Dreamcast in 2001.

Sega is bringing a line of retro games, including Sonic the Hedgehog, Phantasy Star and Thunder Force 4, to Nintendo Switch. The company announced the new initiative, which will be released under the Sega Ages label, during a Sega fan event in Japan today.

More than fifteen titles will be released under the new Sega Ages lineup, though only three titles were confirmed at today’s event. Studio M2, which was responsible for previous Sega re-releases like the 3D Classics Collection for Nintendo 3DS and the Sega Ages series for PlayStation 2, is behind the Switch Sega Ages titles. M2’s involvement is good news for fans of classic Sega games; the developer’s work on restoring and emulating 8-bit and 16-bit games is unparalleled.

The news is probably slightly less comforting to Switch owners hoping for a dedicated Virtual Console, as companies like Capcom, SNK and Sega are focusing on ad hoc vintage game re-releases.

Sega Ages for Nintendo Switch will be released starting this summer. We’ve reached out to Sega for details on whether the lineup will be released in the West.

I'm actually kinda surprised SEGA are doing this since they've released a lot of their Mga Drive games already through other means.  In fact, at the same event they announced this they said they are also bringing the SEGA Ages games made for the 3DS to the Switch (Am I gonna buy Gunstar Heroes again?).

Also; now not a lot of people know this.  I've never seen this talked about in the media.  But at the end of next month SEGA are releasing this:

DYcjX2iX4AE6TvI.jpg

(Holy shit!  I didn't know about that rad SoR poster)

This looks like it includes a lot of the same games in last generation's (only noticeable omissions are Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles) but instead include the ports that were released on Steam (Landstalker, all the Treasure Mega Drive games, etc (I guess if I got it I'd have Gunstar Heroes again)).  The collection is actually super legit, I don't know how a Mega Drive Mini would compete.

But maybe people want a dinky thing to have around the TV.  I'd like more dinky things around mine, but I have none.

Wow didn't even hear about that compilation! Definitely grabbing that.

Will probably get the Mega Drive mini too, there's tons of 3rd party ones but an 'official' SEGA one will be really cool to see. I've got so many fond memories with that console so will love to reminisce. 

• 11 months later...

The Megadrive mini is going to be £70 (for how long?) and is out 19th September

40 games, with the first revealed games being:

- Ecco the Dolphin
- Castlevania: Bloodlines
- Space Harrier II
- Shining Force
- Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
- ToeJam & Earl
- Comix Zone
- Sonic The Hedgehog
- Altered Beast
- Gunstar Heroes

I'd expect to see another Sonic, a couple of Streets of Rage, Golden axe, Shinobi, hopefully Shining Force 2, Story of Thor, and let's face it, Flicky and that shit version of Virtua Fighter 2

Who’s manufacturing it? I have a Mega Drive mini, already officially lisenced by SEGA, you can play your old Mega Drive games on it, and it’s garbage. Poor build quality, piss poor emulation, no hdmi.

If it’s still AtGames making it stay well away, I’ve seen better quality from a Chinese knock off.

M2 are apparently doing the emulation now, so it should be good (well the emulation anyway). japanese version has 6 button pads, we get 3 button ones apparently. i might get it despite not having any nostalga for the md as i never had one.

Metal Jesus is alright from what I've seen of him, some of the experts he has on aren't up to much, but then I suppose they're just people he's met over the years who know a bit more than him about certain things

Nice that these are cheap. I've got a couple of options for USB Saturn pads, but I might pick up the This Is Cool see through one (the one they've called slate grey)

• 3 weeks later...

the next batch of games have been revealed, and there's some decent ones in there

- Castle of Illusion

- World of Illusion

- Thunder Force III

- Super Fantasy Zone

- Shinobi III

- Streets of Rage 2

- Earthworm Jim

- Sonic the friggin Hedgehog 2

- Contra Hard Corps

- Landstalker

I'm currently playing through Landstalker incidentally, it's still good, but it's enough of a faff that it seems like the exact sort of game that people aren't going to stick with if you put it on something like this

So far the only ones that appeal to me are Castlevania: Bloodlines, Shining Force and Earthworm Jim. Granted, I did have the Mega Drive collection for the PS3 years back , so I've played the hell out of any others that - nostalgia googles off - don't have the replay value of those above.