passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Shenmue 1 & 2 HD

DisturbedSwan

It was stand out tho. There wasn't any games like it, much like there isn't much like Yakuza. Shenmue was well received it just came out on a platform that was dead anyway. 

Honestly don't listen to this grump bag. For £23 you can experience a bit of history. Play these games with their little attention to details and robust cambat system and remember this was the same period you were playing Resi 3 or Perfect Dark.

I don't really think it plays that much like Yakuza, beyond running around a 3D environment at least, it's tonally very, very different, and the combat plays differently, it's also got way more QTE. They do both have darts and old arcade games though

I still enjoyed Yakuza last time I played it. If you didn't at the time you definitely won't now, but I'm looking forward to giving Shenmue 2 another play, I've never got around to replaying that. I'd also argue, given that when I played it I stopped halfway through, when I went back to it a couple of years later I loved it, so hopefully it holds up a bit better

Nah, it was bad. I get that it was doing something different and it was detailed, but it was bad.

When it comes out I expect the same sort of complaints that SotC got. It's nice to have a walk down memory lane, but it can be sad to see how dilapidated stuff has become in the interim. Running the danger that @DANGERMAN did when he bought all those old Megadrive games as well, pissing on good memories is a painful thing to do.

Shenmue and it’s sequel are beloved games @Sly Reflex just because you hate it it doesn’t mean everyone else does or was ‘hoodwinked’.

I played Shenmue when I was a kid and loved the world building but grew frustrated as I got stuck and didn’t know where to go. Some years later during a summer drought I decided to dig out my Dreamcast, grab a copy off eBay and go back to it.

And you know what? It held up and I absolutely adored it. I went on to play the sequel through 360 BC and loved it too.

I do worry about the reception it’ll get now though and I can foresee a lot of YT vids and memes about certain aspects of the games already, it hasn’t aged well in a lot of aspects and the Yakuza games have surpassed it in a lot of regards, but they’re still different games and still worth being experienced for the first time in my view.

1 hour ago, Sly Reflex said:

Nah, it was bad. I get that it was doing something different and it was detailed, but it was bad.

Hmmm, well if that's your opinion I'm not here to change it. 

I pity the view you have if old classics. Seems to be no perspective. I regularly get the old games out and good gameplay never dies. @DANGERMAN bought some dodgy stuff if I remember ?

Yeah Danger I agree they're tonally different but there's quite a bit their you can see plays out in Yakuza in its world building. It's really the only comparison to make when your describing it to someone unfortunately.

@Sly Reflex Your opinions aren't facts.  I'm not a fan of Shenmue either (well, I liked parts of it), when I played it at the time but I know a number of people are and that's cool.  Some people are gonna be disappointed with it and some are gonna get an honest kick out of it, like any game.

5 minutes ago, Nag said:

Are these even mastered to a 16.9 screen ratio... I'm not sure I can bring myself to play them if they're stuck in 4.3...

Yeah, scalable screen res, modern/classic controllers and updated user interface.

Sega calls the Shenmue 1 & 2 re-release the “definitive version” of the classic adventure games with modernized features such as “fully scalable screen resolution, choice of modern or classic control schemes, PC graphics options, an updated user interface and the option to enjoy either the original Japanese or English voiceovers.”

No idea, I presume they’ll do it in a way that they won’t look shit but who knows, maybe it’ll be a 16:9 zoom or OG 4:3 with borders option but I highly doubt the latter, lots of folks would be pissed with that.

Have to wait for more info, I’m sure we’ll find out resolutions etc. At e3 at the latest.

• 2 months later...