passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nintendo Switch

HandsomeDead

Sub par ports. Or rather people shouldn't buy into them. If a game doesn't hit a standard then it's a race to the bottom because pubs/devs will see what they can get away with and try it on themselves.

We should be aiming for as close to parity as is possible. Sometimes that's not going to be possible and you're going to end up with complete car crashes. Just because you can doesn't mean you necessarily should.

It's just an obvious and pretty much a pointless criticism, though.  The Switch is tablet-like hardware.  It's not a case of "letting Nintendo get away with it", it's being realistic.  You're off your nut if you expect the same level of performance from this system.  To have this kind of hardware running these games at the same standers as the other consoles and remain being a handheld console would require top end stuff; the system would cost over £1000.

How is this not obvious?  How is saying it's okay for the Switch to perfom like this make you some accepting fanboy?  There are valid criticisms of the Switch and anyone who deals with one knows what they are, but performance on games like this isn't one of them.  It is what it is: If you're fine with it, go get it. if not, keep your money in your purse.

And I don't know which strawman you're talking about @nag.  I don't think anyone here has had that attitude towards resolution and fps.  In fact I think I've even said I'm not super stoked for DOOM on Switch because it doesn't aim for 60fps, like the PS4 version I already have does.  But no, I didn't grab my pitchfork and march to Bethesda and demand a 60fps version, because that would be stupid.  I just said I may pick it up if I see it cheap.

I think he means what's point in porting something that is going to be a poorer version to what many will already have had. Which I can see. Without checking I'd imagine sales won't be making big waves. 

It's an easy money grab for developers. Palm off a small team to port something, rather than have an entire dev team create something new on a gamble it'll even sell. The previous consoles had issues with shovelware and I just see a repeating trend.

People can disagree but i say there aren't that many gamers who don't already own a PS4/X box that would be tempted by these. They want to attract that 2nd choice console owner or offer an experience the others don't; both scenarios demand something new.

I love the Switch don't stone me!! ?

Nintendo's problem for the last few generations hasn't been new games. It's been little to no 3rd party support. 

id porting Doom and Wolf can only be a good thing. If only to show what can be done to other developers/publishers. 

Doom and Wolf aren't the sort of games i'd like to play below 60fps because of the speed but i'm pretty sure theres going to be a lot of Switch ports that i'll be fine taking the hit on peformance because it's portable. Dark Souls etc for example. 

You get the same snob type attitude in music - people thinking pop music shouldn’t exist and people should be striving for something better.

Who cares?

Leigh was 100% correct. The Switch is a tablet and that people are making stuff like Doom work at all should be celebrated.

I really don’t understand the idea that things like that shouldn’t exist.

16 minutes ago, Duck said:

Nintendo's problem for the last few generations hasn't been new games. It's been little to no 3rd party support. 

id porting Doom and Wolf can only be a good thing. If only to show what can be done to other developers/publishers. 

Agree to 3rd party support but not in ports of old games. Im pretty sure they did for a period  then just gave up supporting past consoles. Current games maybe but who'd buy a weaker version?  3's a crowd and they'd be better making something different. Nintendo made the choice two generations ago to get out of the rat race and not compete in terms with the other two.

Plucking examples out of the air; sales of FIFA 18 on the Switch 0.68M. that's a big game that should sell but hasn't. Doom 0.29M. Mario and Rabbids 1.7M. I it just puts stuff in perspective.

It's not a matter of snobby attitude or anything like that. To me it's business sense and how lazy the industry is in making a quick buck. It does Switch no service to be a dumping ground for ports. You want Rabbids you want Pokken you want individual efforts made for the console that drive sales of the console. 

This is just my opinion feel free to disagree. It's sold great so far so these criticisms don't hold much weight, but time tells all... 

@Nag not to pile on further :lol: but performance comparisons were absolutely a thing last gen. Digital Foundry started out comparing PS3 to 360 and interesting as it could be (to people like me), they took a lot of shit for it 

@Threefour Fifa is a bit of a harsh example, it sold out, EA seemingly didn't want to encourage it. And, tbf, it's the sort of thing where the userbase is invested elsewhere, like, you wouldn't drop what you play Overwatch on and who you play with for a Switch version

@Sly Reflex I don't think these are bad ports. You can make the case something like Fortnite or PUBG don't belong on mobiles, but it's amazing they exist and apparently run pretty well. Same with Wolfenstein and Doom on Switch, the Switch is a tablet, a pretty powerful one. It's a shame we aren't getting 60fps, I'd agree with you there, but it's amazing they run at all, and run as well as they do... even if they maybe aren't how I'd want to play those games, unless we reach the point where you can pick them up for less than a tenner, then fuck it 

my 2p on the rest of it. It's cool that the Switch is getting a variety of games, I'm glad it is. I'm not sure I see the point in certain releases, but it does seem to be a thing that's happening. Maybe the market has segregated more than we realise on here, because just about everyone plays across multiple platforms, that might not be true for most people. Toki Tori, a game that game out on the WiiU years ago and has had a sequel since, has just come to Switch, I'm pretty sure I had a mobile version 4 or 5 years ago. The Bunker is coming soon to Switch, as are Don't Starve and Late Shift. The Xbox is getting No Man's Sky and Hellblade, and I'm sure there's something about to release on PS4 that's been out on Xbox about a year. Steam gets a bunch of old console games.

People don't seem to mind rebuying, and this forum has plenty of examples of that (me included), or picking up 'old' games if it's on a platform they want to play it on. Which does mean we get the same games released over and over and over again, like Resident Evil 4, and Resident Evil Revelations, and fwiw, half of Nintendo's output of the last few years, plus the likes of Little Inferno etc

30 minutes ago, Nag said:

Everyone on here is intelligent enough to know what the Switch is and isn't, if performance isn't an issue for anyone with the machine why is it newsworthy when Rocket League receives a patch increasing the resolution/performance?

Apples and Oranges.  It's about expectations.  A reasonable Switch owner isn't going to expect top tier performance from a game like Wolfenstein.  Why the Rocket League patch was newsworthy (apparantly) is because they added a mode that upped the resolution (amongst other things) but brought the fps down to 30.  Other games have had this; they call it cinema mode or something dumb (I think it was Nioh that did this).  I mean, I don't care about that; give me the original lower resolution with 60fps any day, but it's there for those that want it.

So, I guess I expect Rocket League to at least hit 60fps, which it does, but not DOOM.

I guess another way of phrasing it is that, to me, it's not that I don't care about performance, it just depends on the game whether it will impact my enjoyment or not.  I got I Am Setsuna on Switch, despite it being on PS4 with 60fps but it's an SNES style turn-based JRPG.  I can live with 30fps.

13 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

@Nag not to pile on further :lol: but performance comparisons were absolutely a thing last gen. Digital Foundry started out comparing PS3 to 360 and interesting as it could be (to people like me), they took a lot of shit for it 

I think they're bigger now, though, because of the nature of the consoles currently out.  What with Pro and X SKUs, and the Switch offering up portable versions of some multiformat games.  More people wanna see how the game's run on their system, or which version to get if they own more than one.

6 minutes ago, DifferentClass said:

I think they're bigger now, though, because of the nature of the consoles currently out.  What with Pro and X SKUs, and the Switch offering up portable versions of some multiformat games.  More people wanna see how the game's run on their system, or which version to get if they own more than one.

yeah, I'd say so, and video on the internet is more of a thing now than even before the PS4 launch, as much as anything because the consoles have made it easier for people to do this stuff themselves

23 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

Threefour Fifa is a bit of a harsh example, it sold out, EA seemingly didn't want to encourage it. And, tbf, it's the sort of thing where the userbase is invested elsewhere, like, you wouldn't drop what you play Overwatch on and who you play with for a Switch version

It's not harsh, it's what it is. Your kinda reinforcing one of my ponts with your example. If the other two have it, you wouldn't go to Switch. 

We forumers are the nerdiest of the nerds. If buying things multiple times was that big a thing we'd see bigger sales numbers. I bet Wolf does similar figures.

So much to say on this but it comes across wrong no matter how I type it. But generally if ports are your headliners it's a bad business. 

I'm hoping this is just the shaky second year. It'll be better next year when we start to get what's being in development now.

I never at any point said the games in question were sub par. It was mildly an observation that nothing should be set aside from being criticised. 

Stuff like PAYDAY2 on Switch is unacceptable. A 40 odd quid game that has years of content missing,  doesn't run to accepted norms and has key features missing. 3rd party support is good when the games sent there are actually running and playing like they should do.

10 minutes ago, ThreeFour said:

I'm hoping this is just the shaky second year. It'll be better next year when we start to get what's being in development now.

This is a Nintendo console we're talking about. The honeymoon period is over. Sure they're going to be other days in the sun but that always seems to be the case for Nintendo hardware. You have these blinding lights of brilliance in otherwise quiet times.  It's always been like that while I've bought Nintendo consoles. Maybe that's just my sentiment towards Nintendo but it does feel like they hit off in fits and starts.

7 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

Stuff like PAYDAY2 on Switch is unacceptable. A 40 odd quid game that has years of content missing,  doesn't run to accepted norms and has key features missing. 3rd party support is good when the games sent there are actually running and playing like they should do.

All I heard about Payday 2 on Switch was about how all the content was missing, it was a port that was criticised, and I think it dropped out of the eShop chart like a rock.  No one can say that Switch port was given a free pass.

If Wolfenstein is poor I'm sure it will be fairly treated.  DOOM did okay, all things considering, but that appears to be a decent port, again, all things considering.

14 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

Hey, it might happen. Those shots of brilliance are usually era defining when they happen.

Oh yeah totally, I've full confidence in that. Nintendo are masters of their craft. Usually.

It's just the rest of the support.

I can't disagree with the sentiment of wanting more of the smash hit games that Nintendo put out. Mario platformer, zelda game, pikmin, Mario kart, three or four other massive titles. That's why I have a switch and id like more of those kind of games, generally speaking its why I've always owned a Nintendo console. 

The areas of frustration for me as a Nintendo console owner down the years have always been that only Nintendo seem to be able to make those games generally, and I don't meant specifically those titles but that calibre of game. Rare used to get in on the action sometimes and there have been a few notable other 3rd parties but if you look at breath of the wild and its enormous success and acclaim, it surprises me that nobody else does that or wants a piece of the action. 

I suppose when you compare generally the sales of massive games on a ninty platform to those of a different platform then you can sort of see it from a money making point of view that if you were a software company with a profit margin and salaries to pay and a future to consider then you want the biggest slice of the pie you can get but I still am surprised by it and frustrated by it that things are the way they are. 

I do get annoyed when I see another port to be honest, its just my initial reaction because when you come to a thread thinking ooh maybe there's news of pikmin or pokemon etc and you see its a payday 2 port or Doom then it is a slight dampener, and the accumulated effect that has is a frustrating one, but if these ports mean that developers are seeing what the switch can do then great maybe it will be the planting of the seeds thats required for future generations of the Nintendo consoles to have more Zeldas and so on.