passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Cat Quest

DANGERMAN

I started this today and it's really good, although it does have a couple of problems. It's an action rpg, and it's got a few nice ideas in there. You have a standard melee attack and a magic attack, a dodge, which you'll need as you see an indicator of where, and how far an enemy will attack. If I had to throw in a comparison, it's not a million miles away from something like Ys, except smaller.

The most notable good idea I like is that there's only limited types of weapons and armour in the game, so if you pick up a duplicate it levels up that weapon. It's random, or seemingly random, what you get, so you might have to switch from a build you like because something else has streaked ahead. What that means is, you might have a sword that does decent damage, but the wand that's just levelled up might do so much more magic damage it makes sense to switch

My issue with the game then, and I am really liking Cat's Quest, is that it feels very small. The map gets restricted very early by very powerful enemies. I got a story mission I was warned not to go and do until I'd levelled up a bit, so I had to circle around the same small area for a couple of hours picking up side quests to gain some levels. The game never told me what level I needed to be at to take on that story mission, maybe it does in some menu somewhere, but it meant that when I'd started to run out of side quests, or hit a bit of a wall with them, and went to do the main mission, I pissed all over it

The quests almost always involve you going to a point, possibly then to another, fighting some monsters, completing quest. It's fine, some of the set ups are pretty good but then some are kind of repeated. I picked it up fairly cheap, it's not a bad Switch game, not sure it's something you'll play solidly for a week

I finished this the other day and I really enjoyed it. It doesn't really change anything up but it does a very good job of keeping you hooked, it reminds me of Steamworld Dig in that regard. 

You're constantly levelling up, and it pretty quickly makes a noticeable difference. The way the equipment levels up, by finding more, is cool but a bit of a pain if you aren't finding the stuff you want. 

The gating is a bit weird. There was a couple of times I ended up over levelled for a story quest because it was dropped in a much higher level area than was required for the mission. You were supposed to just dart in there, pick up the quest, then scarper. 

There's also a location where there's a note saying they'll add content if the game is popular enough. Not sure if it is but it's fun enough that more people should play it. The only technical criticism I've got is that in the last few hours the game started hitching, not dropping frames, more like it was having a problem pulling information 

One last comment on this. I booted this up after either my Switch or the game had got an update (I'd had a couple of alerts to do it when I resumed the game, this restarted my Switch). It seemed to fix the stuttering I was seeing, so maybe it was a ram/bus issue and installing the update freed up some memory

• 1 year later...

Been  playing this (NS) on and off for a while and it's perfectly suited for the drop in/out play.

No idea how close to the end I might be, hitting Lv 40 but noting that there are some Lv50+ caves to explore.

To  avoid spoilers  I'll note my progress below:

Spoiler

Up to the dragon where  you need to learn how to fly - I've also just  been to the  'hidden' Southern Isle where  you get the golden chest key - albeit getting that key, by killing the chests, meant carefully having to dodge & strike, since they were able to  one-shot me!